New waterproof jacket

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

composite

New waterproof jacket

Post by composite »

So I'm looking for a new waterproof jacket with about £60 to spend. I really want something with a bit of shape and weight (but not to heavy) to it as opposed to a very light weight one, which I already have. Looking at these currently. Any thoughts?

On One Storm Ride Waterproof Jacket
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CLPXSRWJ/on ... oof-jacket
I like how this one looks but seems untested as there are zero reviews about. Added bonus that it will match the colours of my Lurcher. :D

Polaris Summit
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/polaris-summit- ... of-jacket/
Seemingly the best value one as reduced from £90, not so sure I like the look so much as the others but hey once it's on I don't have to look at it and it's not that bad.

dhb Sync Waterproof Jacket
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-sync-waterproof-jacket/
Been happy with the other dhb stuff I have had and like the look of it.
johnnystorm

Re: New waterproof jacket

Post by johnnystorm »

I'm starting to get disillusioned with waterproofs not made from Gore-Tex (or eVent perhaps, not had personal experience but I've seen posts on here praise it) and their ability to stay waterproof in the long term.

I know this blows your budget, and isn't bike specific, but I've been happy with the other recent karrimor kit I've bought:

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/karrimor-ex ... e=44201103
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

What size are you? My dad has a Montane Atomic jacket (Size XL) that's virtually unused and that he doesn't like (doesn't fit him properly) its not cycle specific but I suspect it would be great.
Drop me a Pm if your interested :)
composite

Post by composite »

johnnystorm wrote:I'm starting to get disillusioned with waterproofs not made from Gore-Tex (or eVent perhaps, not had personal experience but I've seen posts on here praise it) and their ability to stay waterproof in the long term.

I know this blows your budget, and isn't bike specific, but I've been happy with the other recent karrimor kit I've bought:

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/karrimor-ex ... e=44201103
I'm feeling fairly disillusioned with waterproofs altogether at the moment. Think I'm going to have a mammoth Nikwax session tomorrow with my current light weight waterproof jacket and my water proof shorts and see how they go this week.

Had been considering trying to just get through till next winter but who am I trying to kid that we'll have a dry spell to get through until?!?
composite

Post by composite »

Ben98 wrote:What size are you? My dad has a Montane Atomic jacket (Size XL) that's virtually unused and that he doesn't like (doesn't fit him properly) its not cycle specific but I suspect it would be great.
Drop me a Pm if your interested :)
Unless that's Italian cycle gear sizes I imagine that XL will be substantially too big for me.

EDIT: Just looked up the sizes and yeah that will be too big, shame as it's a nice looking jacket.
Last edited by composite on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

composite wrote: I'm feeling fairly disillusioned with waterproofs altogether at the moment. Think I'm going to have a mammoth Nikwax session tomorrow with my current light weight waterproof jacket and my water proof shorts and see how they go this week.

Had been considering trying to just get through till next winter but who am I trying to kid that we'll have a dry spell to get through until?!?
Quite, can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em!

Got caught out last week and did the commute back in a deluge in my lidl's cut down trouser-shorts and pac-a-mac windproof. I had an A5 section at the base of my spine that wasn't wet through to my skin!

Hoping my second Nikwax marathon session has been successful, hoping yours remains bogie free! :lol:
Last edited by johnnystorm on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Whilst I love my Berghaus gore tex jacket, it takes an age to dry and I find myself wearing my Montane singletrack pertex jacket as it dries really quickly.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... 6q_KaCp-vA
I'm not sure how montane sizing is tbh :/
Lughnasadh

Post by Lughnasadh »

A bit above your budget but the dhb event jacket is fantastic.
It does npt pack up supper small and is not the lightest jacket but I have used mine for about 3 years now including in real downpours and it has been great.
I wouldn't buy anything else now as my main waterproof. I wear it for walking and all sorts now.
composite

Post by composite »

Lughnasadh wrote:A bit above your budget but the dhb event jacket is fantastic.
It does npt pack up supper small and is not the lightest jacket but I have used mine for about 3 years now including in real downpours and it has been great.
I wouldn't buy anything else now as my main waterproof. I wear it for walking and all sorts now.
Have you got a link for that one? I'm having difficulty finding it.

TBH my budget can stretch I just plucked that figure from the air. Really don't want to go over £100 though. :o
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

composite wrote: Really don't want to go over £100 though. :o
Yeah you do ;-)
Lughnasadh

Post by Lughnasadh »

composite wrote:
Lughnasadh wrote:A bit above your budget but the dhb event jacket is fantastic.
Have you got a link for that one? I'm having difficulty finding it.

TBH my budget can stretch I just plucked that figure from the air. Really don't want to go over £100 though. :o
They dont seem to do it anymore.
I did notice that none of the dhb waterproof jackets state what material they are made from anymore. It might be worth emailing to ask if any of them are event.
I did notice they al look fancy compared to mine with pockets etc. Mine is very simple with high neck, low seat and no pockets etc.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

I've heard great things about Finisterre Jackets. Ethically made, based in Cornwall. They have a sale if you can find a size that fits.

http://www.finisterreuk.com/catalogsear ... q=anabatic
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

I've got a Finisterre jacket which is the jacket to turn to in a deluge for me. The hood is brilliant over a helmet for when you just can't hide.
Appears they have stopped selling them, and that sale link seems to confirm that which is strange.
The old git in the yellow socks
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

mountainbaker wrote:I've heard great things about Finisterre Jackets. Ethically made, based in Cornwall. They have a sale if you can find a size that fits.

http://www.finisterreuk.com/catalogsear ... q=anabatic
Crums, it gives some real numbers and figures for waterproofing and breathability :shock: I've really struggled to get hold of that data for all the branded ones "Gore-tex, neoshell, eVent etc. etc.).
More research required :geek:
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

I'll chat with my mate, he's recently started as head of product design at Finisterre, I'll see if they are planning on producing them again. Strange that they would stop when they are so highly regarded.
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

I need a new jacket, my North Face Flight Series, which cost an arm and a leg a few years ago (£180 after discount) is letting the weather in. I've NikWaxed it quite a few times... it starts off with healthy looking beads of water so you think it's working, but after a couple of hours you realise it has leaked.
I've read about the suggestions in this thread but decided to try my '3 In 1 Hilite' jacket - just the outer (having taken out the fleece) - cheap at £29.99 from Go Outdoors (and now going for £19.99 I believe)... it seemed to be holding out the rain but after two and a half hours of it, when I got home, it had let water in...

I realise that totally waterproof = no breathability + weight... but how long does Goretex really do its job ? 1 year, 2 years, 3 years or what ?

Grateful for any comments
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Finisterre just released a new jacket, the Ekman. it's pretty serious. http://www.finisterreuk.com/shop/mens/c ... arine.html
composite

Post by composite »

mountainbaker wrote:Finisterre just released a new jacket, the Ekman. it's pretty serious. http://www.finisterreuk.com/shop/mens/c ... arine.html
Bloody Hell! You could buy 4 of those On One jackets and have some change for a couple of liters of Nikwax.

I just can't see how to justify that sort of cost on that kind of jacket. If we were talking arctic explorer type clothing OK it could keep you alive but something to go down the beach in on a rainy day, WTF?!?! :shock:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

ericrobo wrote:I need a new jacket, my North Face Flight Series, which cost an arm and a leg a few years ago (£180 after discount) is letting the weather in. I've NikWaxed it quite a few times... it starts off with healthy looking beads of water so you think it's working, but after a couple of hours you realise it has leaked.

Grateful for any comments
Hyvent is great for being waterproof, probably one of the better own branded fabrics on the market (it has a hydrostatic head of 17,500mm!). The biggest flaw with it though is its breathability :| I have a roadie Hyvent jacket and after an hours hill training (in the dry), I'm completely saturated. Hyvent is great for the occasional user or for someone who hates riding in a waterproof (i.e they'll use lots of layers to warm but not dry and only wear it when the rain is horizontal).

The best fabric I've used for biking is Gore-Tex active shell but it only has a shelf life of 50 washes (and Gore recommend washing is after each use!). eVent is pretty good for biking too but my jacket on lasted 2-3 years before Delamere Forest has punctured too many holes in it. Neo-shell is a good choice for biking, but it only has a HH of 10,000mm (half of Gore-Tex active shell). I keep my neo-shell for hill walking etc and its yet to let me down.

Also, bear in mind that all jackets will wear down with use, so jackets with a low HH will have an even lower HH after a year or two!

Now onto breathability. Hmmm, always a difficult one to get 'lab results' for as each manufacture seems to use a different system and the results always conflict on another! In the real world, breathability of affected by temperatures and humidity. I.e, a waterproof jacket in a rain forest is almost useless due to the near 100% humidity, the vapour you sweat has no-where to pass to, so will saturate the inside of your jacket, but at 10c in the UK with a 20% humidity (etc etc), the same jacket will 'breathe' much better if you catch my drift?
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Loads of jackets on sale at Blacks....
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Is all eVent fabric the same? These look pretty good vfm.

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/karrimor-el ... fer-140217
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is all eVent fabric the same? These look pretty good vfm.
I've seen those in the flesh and they look like a decent jacket ... stick another badge on it and people would be falling over themselves.

I think the truth is ... nothing is actually waterproof in certain conditions. Add the fact that there's big holes in a jacket for your head, arms, etc and some water's bound to find its way inside. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

for colder weather biking i'm a great fan of "Paramo".
I got a made to measure custom cycling jacket made by Cioch on the Isle of Skye for £185
bright red for visibility, no pockets, extra long arms, reflective piping, under helmet hood
Fully waterproof and much more breathable than all the countless Goretex / Event jackets i've owned over the years.
reputed to be long lasting as there is no membrane to deteriorate.
think the breathability of a windproof but fully waterproof.
i wear it all day at this time of year with just a thin merino underneath most of the time
the catch....too warm to wear above 10°C. So from late spring until early autumn i use a Goretex Paclite but only wear it when it's raining or i boil in the bag.
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

hi
I use this as a year round commuter jacket.
yes it is outside of your budget but will last years and years and years.
Tough but not too heavy.
roomy sleeves and cuffs, long back.
not too dorky off the bike either.

http://www.pacecycles.com/?page_id=132
Grubby little urchin.