GPS

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

valleydaddy

GPS

Post by valleydaddy »

So after watching all of you who entered the inaugural BB200 coming back in with GPS units can anyone advise on which is the best to get I have a memory map 2800 but can't get on with it!

I am thinking of a Garmin unit as I have forerunner 405 that I use to log runs and bike rides but would like a mapping function, so suggestions please.

Ta Pete
Chew

Re: GPS

Post by Chew »

I've got a Garmin Dakota, and i'm very happy with it.

The instructions are useless but, its easy to pick up how to use. Runs on batteries, so its good for multiday trips, and its claimed that you can get 20 hours from a set (not tested that myself, but i'll report back)

Easy to upload and download routes via Bikehike, once you have downloaded the add on to your browser. Also the touch screen works fine with winter gloves on.

The mount onto the bars isnt very good (and its expensive for what it is) and it has a habit of spinning around on rough decents. Also found out you can use it as a satnav on the roads, although the screen struggles in bright sunshine.
valleydaddy

Post by valleydaddy »

Thanks Chew I have heard a few good reports re the Dakota, I will look into it.

Will need to sell some older gps units to assist funding ;)
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I got the oregon 450 over the Dakota purely on the slightly bigger screen to aid quicker/easier viewing of the base map/route whilst moving at speed.
markenduro

Post by markenduro »

Another dakota user here, I got it last Tuesday and Saturday morning was the first real time using it in anger, fairly intuitive to use and would have literally been lost without it.
valleydaddy

Post by valleydaddy »

I'm taking that having a quick search I need the ones with added maps or can I buy a basic unit and get the maps elsewhere??

Did you get a good deal somewhere Mark?
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

You can get them separately but most places have a bundle deal.
valleydaddy

Post by valleydaddy »

Ok will get looking, just wondered in this download age if it was cheaper option ;)
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

Cotswold Outdoors have got the Oregon with mapping for £400 I think - and having seen Taylor's this weekend I am tempted - if you end wanting something from there then let me know and I can use the work 20% discount.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I use a basic etrex and mapyx quo, much cheaper than a mapping unit, it will tell you the os grid ref so you can locate yourself on a paper map. I wouldn't mind a nice mapping GPS though but the cost is still pretty high.

Steve, you wouldn't happen to work for a large IT company would you? Just there is a Steve Morgan in our company GAL, and we get a 20% discount at Cotswold too......
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

Nick - nope - a different Steve Morgan
valleydaddy

Post by valleydaddy »

Cheers Steve just have to justify that amount to myself to be honest or just try and get my head around the memory map one I have already :shock:
thomthumb

Post by thomthumb »

i use (a quite retro) garmin geko.

doesn't have maps but will show you a 'breadcrumb trail' to follow. I mostly use it on the compass page - which displays a direction and distance to the next waypoint - only using the breadcrumb when the track has dissapeared. (this saves batteries too)

My (limited) experience with mapping gps is the map being so small that at times you need a proper map - which doesn't seem to be a major benefit over the geko i have.

The geko has worked brilliantly on 2 WRTs and the BB200 - & plenty of other rides. It also functions as a (expensive) bike computer; which was handy for events like K100 this year as i knew i had to acheive an overall average speed to make the cutoffs.

:)
valleydaddy

Post by valleydaddy »

I think you are probably right, I have enough gps toys I just need to get them to work in my head ;)
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Hi Pete,
I use a eTrex HCx (which takes a small memory card for the maps). I use this combined with a paper map (you'd generally carry one with a compass as electronics can fail!) - Once I have a tracklog loaded to it I can 'just follow the blue line' to quote Jack from the Orme to Worms trip. I set mine up with a 200m proximity circle around the current position marker so you get a good warning of any sharp turns in the tracklog that you can then relate easily to the surrounding ground - worked well in the unfamiliar and relatively featureless forests in mid-Wales recently and on the WRT.
This comes with a pretty good handlebar mount that I've 'padded' out with a cut up Park Tool super patch to stop any rattling (worked in the battery case too to stop electrical cut outs due to vibration).
I've loaded simple OpenSource mapping to it and it will do routing on road too - but has contours and I can get a GR out of it easily to locate myself should I loose concentration and wander off route a bit.
Sounds like if you go with the kit you've got and find how to load up a route you should be good to go.... I like the follow the breadcrumb trail approach - nice and simple so works for me! I was amazed following Ians trail south on sections I didn't know how well this worked - any time I was lost was down to ne not concentrating on both the ground and route.
I generate the tracklog in either MM or from bikehike.co.uk - simple GPX file... sometimes need to reduce the size a bit to make a long trail work in my GPS.
HTH, Mark
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
thomthumb

Post by thomthumb »

valley daddy are you using memory map software too?

I find that tracks work better then routes - you don't get the breadcrumb trail to follow with a route.

normal procedure for me would be draw a route - convert to track - then export to gps.

There is sometimes also a bit of a knack to routing if your route comes to a fork in the track where the angles are tight it some times works well to draw your route slightly off route (if that makes sense) so it it's obvious which way to go :)
valleydaddy

Post by valleydaddy »

cheers Thom

the main problem is I use a works laptop and can't download software.

I need to start using the home pc again ;)
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I used a Garmin Dakota with full OS mapping which was excellent. Know need to look at the maps which were carried in case of gps failure.
Got mine for £270 in the bike shop in ByC.
Understand the new Etrex models could be the thing for bikepacking. Not sure if available in UK yet, do a search on www.bikepacking.net, a thread by Scott Morris.
d45yth

Post by d45yth »

Blackhound - Cheers for the heads up on those new Etrex models. The Garmin site says they can get the Etrex 30 in 1-3 days. I already have an Edge 605 and these new Etrex's look quite similar but without the buttons on the front (these used to get pressed by accident!). The longer battery life and ability to change them too would definitely be good for bikepacking. The better mapping won't go amiss either.
- The seasons blow away, but the love is just the same -
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Go Outdoors have the new eTrex models with a bit of a discount. Think the base model is a pre-order though.
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/etrex/?utm_ ... age-banner
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Has anyone had a proper look at one of the new eTrex models yet? I read some stuff last night inc' Blackhounds link ^ and the 20 and 30 models look like they could be just the job whilst not being stupidly expensive.
d45yth

Post by d45yth »

I was going to buy the Etrex 30 but have been told that the trip computer records whenever the unit switched on. I was hoping it could be used more like a bike computer that could be started and stopped at will. I do find this a bit unusual, surely you must be able to reset the distances/times everytime you use it??? Maybe the person who told me this doesn't know how to use it properly?
This is the only thing stopping me from buying one, thinking of buying a new waterproof biking jacket instead and making do with my old Edge 605.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I was going to buy the Etrex 30 but have been told that the trip computer records whenever the unit switched on
Does this help? ... lifted from bikepacking.net
To start/stop tracking got to “Main Menu”. Select “Setup”, select “Tracks”, select “Track Log”. From here you can decide “Do not record”, “Record, do not show”, or “Record show on map”. As far as reseting the Trip computer go to the “Trip Computer” screen, push the “Menu” button located on the left side of device, select “Reset”, then select “Reset Trip Data” it will then say “Are you sure you wish to reset all trip data (timers, averages, distances, etc.)? Select “Yes”. There you go it’s clear. Make sure when you’re done with your track that you save the “Current Track” so you don’t have extra points at home. I’ve pretty much got it figured out and operating the way I want it to, so feel free to ask me some questions.
d45yth

Post by d45yth »

Thanks for clearing that up s8tannorm. I thought something seemed odd about what I'd been told! I didn't realise you already had one either, I thought you were asking what others thought of theirs to help you decide on buying one.
I've just bought a new jacket today so need to weigh up my finances before ordering one myself. Going to Spain for Christmas, so need to buy a few bits and pieces for that too. That was one of the reasons for buying the jacket...needed something lighter and more breathable than what I already had. :)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't have one (yet) it was just that I was wondering the internet looking for info and the problem you described rang a bell ... I recalled someone had a solution :)