How do you keep your feet warm?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Brothersmith

How do you keep your feet warm?

Post by Brothersmith »

I'll be first to admit that I'm nesh. I am just about managing my commute at the moment with my regular riding shoes, mid weight merino socks and gore-tex socks but anything over a couple of hours I start to suffer. I don't really want to spend on winter boots that will only be used for 3 months of year, so does anyone have any tips of tricks on how to keep your toes toasty?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: How do you keep your feet warm?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Luckily I don't suffer with cold feet ... they do get cold but my brain switches off from the fact and doesn't bother to alert my self-preservation instincts.

If I did suffer with cold feet I'd be sporting these*.

*Or possibly some On-One Thicky Merino socks because they're very good too.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Thick socks and neoprene overshoes (endura).
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Every year I get a set of overshoes - neoprene ones work well.

Thing is they're knackered by the end of the winter..and a faff to put on, so this year I bought some winter boots.

But before winter boots, it was countless socks and overshoes
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

Dan_K wrote:Thick socks and neoprene overshoes (endura).
Been considering these, how do you find them Dan, do toes keep popping off and do they make shoes a gaff to put on?
Zippy wrote:Every year I get a set of overshoes - neoprene ones work well.

Thing is they're knackered by the end of the winter..and a faff to put on, so this year I bought some winter boots.

Zippy, what boots did you go for and are they proving better than overshoes and lots of socks?
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Shimano winter boots with thick merino wool socks. I upsized my boots to allow for the thicker socks and to allow my toes to wiggle. If you use you normal summer shoes with thicker socks, you may be cutting the circulation off

Also, keep the shoes by the radiator before a ride, helps to keep your feet warmer for longer (as opposed to storing them in the garage and being freezing from the off).

And to be clichéd, if you're nesh (I really feel the cold too), try adding an extra layer to your body to keep the blood warmer. It will be a sweaty mess but my reckoning is 'keep the boiler warm (body), and the radiators will be warmer (toes/fingers) :)
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Brothersmith wrote:
Zippy wrote:Every year I get a set of overshoes - neoprene ones work well.

Zippy, what boots did you go for and are they proving better than overshoes and lots of socks?
Shimano Jobbies

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod66829

Very impressed so far, but in fairness the coldest it's been round here is probs about 2 degrees. Overall I would definately say they're a lot better than lots of socks + overshoes combo, but when it gets colder I might have to put an extra pair of socks on too.

They do also noticeably weigh quite a lot more than standard shoes.

I commute most days of the week so could warrant them, if you ride once a week over winter, I might give them a second thought in all honesty depending on your budget situation (I wouldn't have splashed the cash when I was a student, and I cycled a lot back then!).
I know some people on here love them though, and if you can spare the money then I would. If you really wanna watch your budget, get some overshoes.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Heat holder socks for me but you may need one shoe size bigger.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I use the neoprene ones on my road bike with some fleece thermal socks from sports direct. Work well for rides up to around 4 hours.
The toes stay on fine and I leave them on the shoes but half roll them off to undo the top velcro strap. Never had issues with getting them on and off but the zips have a habit of separating.
On the mtb I have shimano mw80 boots with merino socks but I rarely do mtb rides over 2-3 hours. They work though.
Lmorgan87

Post by Lmorgan87 »

seal skinz socks with my normal riding shoes all the way for me! I've put mine through allot of winter abuse and they haven't left me with cold feet yet. An added benefit is that they are also waterproof (not as sweaty as you might think). your feet can get wet when water finds the gap between your ankle and the sock but they're so toasty that you wont notice until after the ride. On first glance the price seems steep for a pair of socks but I guarantee they will become your winter essential! Also they're a considerably cheaper option than winter boots (and if you add up the cost of a set of overshoes and merino socks you'll probably spend as much as the SS's anyway). Get them!!! you wont be disappointed!
Always do the right thing... Just because it's the right thing to do.
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

Dan_K wrote:Thick socks and neoprene overshoes (endura).
+1
Endura MT500
Question, is it flat peddles or SPD's your using?
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

I just bought Specialized Defroster boots but Ive not tried them yet, not cold enough :mrgreen:
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Spds. I'd imagine that the overshoes favour Spds because of the cut outs on the soles.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

IMO just buy some Shimano winter shoes. They're excellent and whilst being a little pricey will last several years or more. January sales may be your best bet for a bargain.

My 2p 8-)
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

Thanks for the advice guys.
Cheeky Monkey wrote:IMO just buy some Shimano winter shoes. They're excellent and whilst being a little pricey will last several years or more. January sales may be your best bet for a bargain.

My 2p 8-)
Seen some Lake Mxz 302 reduced by £50 but trying to resist the urge to spend this close to Christmas. I just managed last winter in normal shoes so hoping I can find a better system this year and avoid the spend.
RobMac wrote:I just bought Specialized Defroster boots but Ive not tried them yet, not cold enough :mrgreen:
The new version or the old? If the new version how do find them, they looked quite good from spec but couldnt find any reviews
Dan_K wrote:I use the neoprene ones on my road bike with some fleece thermal socks from sports direct. Work well for rides up to around 4 hours. .
Dan do you have a link to those socks? Was looking at ordering some Groundeffect Lucifers but these sound like they might be cheaper
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Here you go.....

They sell them in store too. Packaging has flames on it I think.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/heat-holder ... cks-418034
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

I've got a pair of Ground Effect Zig Zags & they're brilliant socks, closely followed by some Woolie Boolies. Much prefer these over Sealskinz any day, don't like the way that the seal skinz let water in through the ankle & then hold it in the sock.
Never tried Endura or Lidl in comparrison though.

Had some Shimano WM-80's, very good boots, but not waterproof. The newer Shimano shoes don't seem to be quite as good quality as the older ones to me.

Know a couple of lads with North Wave winter boots & they really rate them, not cheap though.

Think if you're on a budget the best way to go would be some good quality wool socks & some overshoes..

Think i'm gonna be ordering some more Ground effect socks for Christmas, might try the Lucifers :twisted:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Mart

Post by Mart »

Is it overkill to use both Winter boots and Overboots? :oops:
Got my North Wave celcius for £99 so worth looking around and comparing online
2924 miles per Gallon
faddyvictor

Post by faddyvictor »

http://www.outdoor-shropshire.co.uk/ind ... =northwave

Northwave Celsius Arctic GTX.
These solved the worst of my cold feet issues, much warmer and drier than my old Shimano winter boots although they are the pre goretex model
composite

Post by composite »

I splashed the cash and I'm glad I did.

Here's my review of the Northwave.
http://www.composite-projects.co.uk/201 ... ts-review/
Zoglug

Post by Zoglug »

The bulk of suggestions seem to be around spd shoes. As I use flat pedals, does anybody have any suggestions! Currently I just use a cheap pair or airwalk trainers from sports direct, but they are pretty crap!
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

After trying out overshoes in LBS and not being very happy with them and seeing as consensus of opinion seems to be winter boots I pushed button on a set of Lake MXZ302 from Absolute cycles