Crank Brothers Clipless pedals

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ben98

Crank Brothers Clipless pedals

Post by Ben98 »

Ok, so im teaching myself to use clipless pedals with a cheap pair of (my dads) shimano spd's, and when i finally get the hang of it, i want to invest in some of my own.
I like the look of the crank brothers candy 2, but i have heard some people saying that crank bros pedals don't last well at all.
So does anyone on here use crank bros clipless pedals? what are your thoughts?
Cheers
Ben
Zippy

Re: Crank Brothers Clipless pedals

Post by Zippy »

When I got into clipless, I tried out all my friends different types (shimano, crank brothers, speedplay and time being the main choices I think), and ended up with a set of time pedals as I got on with them best.

The standard priced crank brothers pedals, I heard stories and saw lots of my friends just get through them. Economics wise, shimano seem to be the most cost effective (and to be honest crank brothers is the other end of the price scale!).

But again, everyone is different ;)
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I had a pair of crank brother candy pedals and they needed constant adjustment as the lock nuts would never stay tight, then one of the plastic end caps came off allowing water in. Not worth it even when cheap, buy shimano, they are fit and forget.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I use Candys (2s and 3s) on all my bikes. I never have an issue with them. I think they are now warranties for either 3 or 5 years?
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Shimano M520s can be had for £15 a pair with cleats. Last ages, work well in virtually all conditions and require little looking after. What more could you want?
greenmug

Post by greenmug »

I've tried a few types over the years and always come back to Shimano. A fair range so you can choose the quality you want.

One other thing to consider is that if you ride with others who standardise on Shimano you get the benifit of easily being able to try different bikes out.

I use Shimano pedals on both my full bouncer and long distance bike. They last a very long time (years) and need zero maintance. Once set correctly, no changes needed for a year or two. For me they give confidence of quick exit when required but at the same time they crucially give a good amount of horizontal movement.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I had a few pair of CB's back in the day and got fed up of them failing. Nice when new though. I have heard as scotroutes says that they are better and have a warranty these days. Shimano fro me.

Seems I got ripped off with my last pair as I paid £17.50 (incl cleats).
Lmorgan87

Post by Lmorgan87 »

Another vote for M520. No need for anything more expensive. They last forever! I've owned 2 pairs for 5 years. They've been on every bike I own, used off road every winter and I've serviced them once! They're unbeatable.
Always do the right thing... Just because it's the right thing to do.
Firmo

Post by Firmo »

Another vote for CrankBros from me...

I've used CrankBros Eggbeaters for the last 2-years and never had any problems. Used on MTB and on road bike for commuting.

Having tried several Shimano MTB perdals over the years, each pair has always resulted in bad knees.
Firmo
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

I gave away 5 pairs of CB's pedals to my mates & 3 of those were new/unused.
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

I used to ride Shimano back in the day but got fed up of them clogging in the mud. Made the switch to Candies and loved them, great float and and never any problems clipping in no matter how filthy the conditions. However in the five years I have had them I have gone through 3 pedals and loads of cleats. Allegedly the bearings have been improved but the cleats still made of brass and ware really fast. So when I saw some M530, which have a much mote open design than old spd's, on sale at CRC for almost the same price as a new set of cleats for the candies' I made the switch. So far they seem great and you can alter the tension spring to determine how early or late they release.

The only but I would add here is that I haven't found anything to offer as good compromise between flat and a clipless pedal as the Mallet. The 530's have a nice platform but its nowhere near as grippy as the mallet which you can happily ride unclipped. If your feeling a bit nervous about being clipped in on the techy stuff they might be worth a consider.
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

Im thinking of stick a pair of M324 on my Long Haul Trucker or on my off road tourer, maybe both.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I don't use CB's because of all the horror stories about performance / longevity / snapping axles mid-ride. I've never used them.

I tried Shimano donkey's ago and got sore knees. I switched to Time ATACs and have always been happy with their performance, longevity, mud clearance / lack of clarting up and the float they give feet / knees.

The issue might have been that I set the Shimano's up wrong but as I had the same level of "knowledge" for the Time's then it seems, for me, they're less prone to set-up (with my knees) issues and are generally more forgiving. I can't see myself using anything else.

On the downside they're usually a little more expensive than Shimano, cleat wear and replacement costs seem a bit higher than other brands (subjective) and they are, on average, a bit heavier.
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

I've used Eggbeaters for many years now, without problems... you should grease them occasionally. They are light and let the mud drop through, and have 4 entry points.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

+1 for the Time Atac's, expensive compared to the Shimano though.
Got/had a couple of pairs, the last ones the clip in mechanism wore out before the bearings, in fact bought a spare set of bearings years ago anticipating a failure that has never happened..

Had some CB Candy's years ago, silky smooth engagement with loads of float & light, but got sick of rebuilding them every 3-6 months.
The new ones are supposed to be a lot harder wearing though.. But like others i'm that traumatised by past experience, i won't be going back to find out myself..

Never had shimano's but know they're bullet proof..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

One of the things I noticed with the CB egg beaters was that they were such a small area under your shoe that they could be uncomfortable creating a pressure point with the wrong shoe.
Most of my MTB's are fitted with XT M770 SPD and their brilliant IMHO.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

RobMac wrote:One of the things I noticed with the CB egg beaters was that they were such a small area under your shoe that they could be uncomfortable creating a pressure point with the wrong shoe.
Yep. Candys avoid this by dint of the wee platform each side of the cleat. In fact, sometimes you have to shave a wee bit of that part of the sole of your shoe to get them to fit - and CB sell a shim to build it up a bit if the event it's actually too low to make contact with your sole. I've used mine extensively for multi-day touring (on- and off-road) with no discomfort.
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

Yeah your right, Ive used egg beater and candy pedals.
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

Just remembered does anybody want a used pair of CB's cleats for free?
You'd best take them ;)
Last edited by RobMac on Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firmo

Post by Firmo »

RobMac, really? I'll take them if the offer's still open.

My CB cleats are currently permanently stuck on a pair of MTB touring shoes, so I can only ever use them with that particular pair!
Firmo
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

Firmo wrote:RobMac, really? I'll take them if the offer's still open.

My CB cleats are currently permanently stuck on a pair of MTB touring shoes, so I can only ever use them with that particular pair!
Their yours with the screws just pm me your address and they'll be posted this week.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

PX / OO have a 15% discount on pedals until midday tomorrow (Wednesday) if that helps.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Thanks guys :D
Looks like i won be investing in any crank brothers pedals anytime soon
So what clipless pedals with a small cage (like the candys) do you guys prefer then? Im looking at http://www.shimano-lifestylegear.com/gl ... ontentsPro
Any good for longevity?
Thanks again
Ben
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Thanks for tip cheekeymonkey. Just ordered some M520 and some Exustar keo fitting roadie pedals for my turbo trainer. Just over £40 for 2 pairs.
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

+1 for the M520's thats the other model I use, available for £17.50 posted from CRC & Wiggles.