29+ for bikepacking

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

tommid

29+ for bikepacking

Post by tommid »

I'm very tempted by the Surly Krampus, but I would be interested to know what they are like for bike packing application.

Up side: 29+ is meant to be great at rolling over most terrain

Down side: I know that they are heavy, big fat wheel set weights a ton.

Have you ridden one? Are you riding one? Are they any good?
ScotRoutes

Re: 29+ for bikepacking

Post by ScotRoutes »

As a keen fatbiker and owner of a 29er too, I love the idea of a 29+ bikepacker. However, as a short-arse I'd have no room twixt saddle and tyre for any under-saddle luggage.

You might also want to consider what sort of terrain you'd be on and therefore your tyre choice. There's little room in the Krampus frame for mud clearance.

Have a look at the Surly ECR for a 29+ built for bikepacking.
http://surlybikes.com/bikes/ecr

The other option is a Travers Rudy Fat
http://traversbikes.bigcartel.com/produ ... sis-bundle
FLV

Post by FLV »

Rich from Keep Pedalling in Manchester rode an ECR round the BB200. If I recall he rode it singlespeed too.

Give them a call or pop in and speak to Rich or Shona, they have a lot of cool stuff in the shop and are very nice and helpful and they definitely have an ecr in to look at and fiddle with.
TraversBikes

Post by TraversBikes »

I am the owner of Travers Bikes and have developed the Rudy Fat 29+ with touring and endurance riding in mind. It has rack mounts plus a split seatstay so you can run a beltdrive if you desired to make it a truly low maintenance bike, plus being titanium there is no issues with paint being worn off.
Travers Bikes.com
tommid

Post by tommid »

The ECR appeals, but I'm a bit concerned its a one trick pony. I just happene to be in Manchester Tuesday, so I may try and get a look at one.

As for the Rudy fat it looks ace. I will drop you an email to discuss. It's a lot more cash than I was thinking of spending, but could be the one bike that I need...
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

If I had the money I'd get the Travers Rudy over the ECR, 5lbs lighter and better looking IMHO
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

JohnClimber wrote:If I had the money I'd get the Travers Rudy over the ECR, 5lbs lighter and better looking IMHO
+1
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

f I had the money I'd get the Travers Rudy over .....
Yep, me too. Never ridden 29+ but Ive got an On One* Fatty and an Inbred 29er and have often wondered what their love child would be like. That Rudy is a stunning bike ...

* BTW, I don't understand the stick that On One get from STW. Ive bought heaps from them over the years including these two bikes, various tyres, piles of tubes, stacks of components etc etc. Never ever had any issues even when returning stuff. What gives?
I'm just going outside ...
BrianP

Post by BrianP »

On One posted a 29er+ prototype wheelset on Facebook some while back. They also mentioned Planet X have there own 45mm rims in development. Probably tyres too.

Once wheels are sorted, a 29er+ Inbred has to be easy, and what a great price it could be.

https://www.facebook.com/ononebikes/pos ... 9537457909

Brian
burty

Post by burty »

heres mine rode bno and bb200 on it , could do with a climbing gear for really steep stuff but
a walk sometimes aint that bad , helps stretch the legs abit,
Attachments
2013-09-28 12.37.57 2.jpg
2013-09-28 12.37.57 2.jpg (150.77 KiB) Viewed 1639 times