Highland trail 550!!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ian

Re: Highland trail 550!!

Post by Ian »

JohnClimber wrote:Ian, you are just vaguely exciting and an inspiration for doing what you do year on year.

I wish I was just a fraction as fit and determined as you are
Very kind of you John. Lots of vaguely exciting people out there this year though. The bar was set high after last year, and people have raised their game to suit.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

How was that top section from Gobernuisgach to Bealach Horn? The thought of doing that again was one of the reasons I pulled out!
D Faff Master

Post by D Faff Master »

Ian I think I seen your bike in Glen Golly (love the name). Couldn't see your bivy spot though.

I had a lengthy pit stop at Oykel Bridge with Alan G before going on that Northern Loop mainly because I felt wide awake so there was no point trying to sleep in a cloud of midges. I'm glad I did it that part of the ride was my personal highlight

I was having a brilliant time out riding. Unfortunately that Lovhniver hike a bike was the exact type of terrain that my knee can't handle. Hiking up a mountain to mainly ride down not a problem. BUT hike up, hike across and hike down, particularly down(why?) where every step is trying to twist your ankle and knee was a nightmare.

I've recovered well from my knee op last year and as much as I wanted to finish I couldn't. Spent most of today cycling along the Wester Ross coast road with Neil Evans.

Plenty of time over the next few days to think about some more adventures to do later on this summer.... no hiking involved.
D Faff Master

Post by D Faff Master »

Also forgot to mention that while at Oykel Bridge I noticed a certain Ian B was ahead of me on Track leaders. I think that spurred me on quite a bit.....
as I knew that at some point you were likely to do a monster shift. I thought I'd get in there first :wink:
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Phil simcock not far from the finish what a ride :cool:
Trying to ride bikes.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

jay91 wrote:Phil simcock not far from the finish what a ride :cool:
That's incredible!
Ian

Post by Ian »

He's got just over 3 hours to get in under the 4 day mark. Two big climbs still to do. Going to be tight...
Ian

Post by Ian »

I suspect if Phil has been going all night he's forgotten to reset his tracker at 24 hours.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

@Ian. Back to reality then. I guess it was intense. 400 km in 2 days does set things into perspective. Very impressive riding. Well done :-bd
Ian wrote:The bar was set high after last year, and people have raised their game to suit.
I do have the feeling that this year’s HTR is going to go down in the history books as a tougher one than last years. Reasons? Weather and the N-loop?
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Ian wrote:He's got just over 3 hours to get in under the 4 day mark. Two big climbs still to do. Going to be tight...
If he left Kinlochleven round about 7:00 he'll have to go all out... FLV and I went hard last year and left KLL about 7ish too. I missed the sub 5 by about 4 min...
Chew

Post by Chew »

Phils over Devils Staircase now. I'm sure he'll be going for a sub 4 day time.

Anyone meeting him at the finish for cake and a brew?
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Looks like he will miss 4 days by a little bit. Over the A82 now but a bit of a climb just in front before ride over the moor and the run in from Bridge of Orchy. Incredible effort.

I saw Nik Kinloch last year and was with him at Kinlochleven and he dropped the next day when towards the back. He has having a really good ride this year and is ~8th assuming Gunther is out.

Watching the SPoT's makes be want to be out there but then I look out of the window, have a cup of tea and decide to check Twitter!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

The race is on, I have an exam starting at 10am, I reckon Phill will finish before I finish my exam! Looks like he's just past King's house hotel, I also know that bit of trail on the WHW isn't too bad speed wise (the only bit of this route that I do know...). Home straight, amazing riding.

Sounds like conditions and route are brutal, I'm gonna be interested reading everyone's stories. What's the hike a bike like? I have experience of BB200 hike a bike and the hike a bike bit on the WHW for reference.

There's some strong riders that are being spat out by the course, I have a great deal of respect.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Gunther Desmedt has tweeted that he is out.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Just saw Phil S. left KLL at 5 am. But he must be completely knackered. It's taken him 3.5 h to get across the Glen Coe road (most dangerous part of the route, crossing that on a Sat morning after the start). What an effort. I still try to fathom how he kept fuelled. I'm afraid he won't make it sub 4.
composite

Post by composite »

Trackleaders is saying finished for Phil but he's not actually at the end according to the map plot.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Chapeau Phil :cool:
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Wow! What an effort. I am in awe
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Proper bonkers ... just thinking about it makes my knees ache.
May the bridges you burn light your way
royAB

Post by royAB »

Epic!

Exhausted from just watching Phil's dot :-)
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Truly outstanding :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: .
Ian

Post by Ian »

Truly amazing. That's last years route plus the tough northern loop (120 miles) in only an extra 23 hours, inc sleep.
ton

Post by ton »

hats off to the 1st man back, and indeed to all still out riding.
proper inspirational stuff.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Back in tyndrum now, and that was quite tough! Day 1 - 190km and 3000m in around 15 hours. Got to the bothy with Gary thompsett around 11.30pm, to find Tom had just got there ahead of us. I think 6 of us stopped here.
Day 2 was 230km, 19 hours riding to get to Achfary where I slept in a stable. The last 20km were an absolute bitch of hike a bike and bog trotting in the dark, with only a joystick on medium for lighting (and the really low cloud meant you couldn't see more than 10metres anyway).
Day 3 was the toughest, felt great and found out in Ullapool that I was 8 miles behind Steve heading (I knew from tyre tracks someone was about an hour ahead, didn't think it would be Steve though) and 25 miles ahead of Gary and Ian. Decided to get to Shenavall bothy. That was ambitious! Got to Inverbroom as the big lump of bog I climbed over to get there was very, very slow going. A couple of silly falls had twisted my knee and I decided to bivvy out to save my knee and not get stuck high up somewhere. That was only 160km and 18.5 hours.
Day 4 I rode up and down the road about 5 times debating should I bail or shouldn't I? My knee really hurt and my body felt empty and there was still 200 miles to go. Eventually decided to limp back on the road - 50km later just coming into Garve I met another competitor Jonathan Edwards whose bike had broken on day 1 and was riding up to Fisherfield to do the 2nd half of the race. He persuaded me to turn around so for the 6th time I turned back to re-enter the race, thinking that I would only have lost a few places. But 10km up the road my knee and head were both somewhere else, so I turned back towards Tyndrum. It's still a long way!

Big respect to all who finish this, if Tom Rowntree and Andy Aitcheson (sp.?) finish then massive respect - they are rigid singlspeeding! It is a massive race with so much opportunity to get caught out.

Phil S beat me back and I rode the easy bit on the road!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Well done Steve ... I told you to watch your knees :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way