Highland trail 550!!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Re: Highland trail 550!!

Post by FLV »

ScotRoutes wrote:No one else feeling like this then?

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2014/03/scunnered.html
I do feel a bit that way sometimes. Like tonight. I'm tired (sleep wise) and really cant be bothered going for the long ride I had originally intended.

I've resigned myself to not going (well, not far) and now feel guilty for it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think 'fear of failure' can be a great motivator in those deep, dark, can't be arsed moments :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ian

Post by Ian »

Turned my Colin Prior calendar over yesterday to discover that April's picture is of Fisherfield. The crossing at the entrance to Loch na Sealga is visible in the picture, so I've got something to psyche me up/out for the rest of the month. Hoping to get my timing a bit better this year and make the crossing in the day time...
slarge

Post by slarge »

It's alright for you Ian, at 5'9 you'll only just get your ankles wet going through there. Spare a thought for us short people who are going to be up to our necks when we try to get through. :grin:
FLV

Post by FLV »

I was daytime last year with another rider too do felt less risky I guess.

Hilarity prevailed as I took all the kit off my bike to lighten it and waded across with 3 drybags.... Water didn't pass much more than my waist.... Much to the amusement of rider 2 who immediately grabbed his bike, stomped accross and ride / hiked off whilst I reattached all my crap to the bike :-)
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

FLV wrote:I was daytime last year with another rider too do felt less risky I guess.

Hilarity prevailed as I took all the kit off my bike to lighten it and waded across with 3 drybags.... Water didn't pass much more than my waist.... Much to the amusement of rider 2 who immediately grabbed his bike, stomped accross and ride / hiked off whilst I reattached all my crap to the bike :-)
I bet your testicles shrunk!
FLV

Post by FLV »

Ha ha. Kept expecting the next step to disappear but it never came. It was right at the start of a new day for me so refreshing I guess
Ian

Post by Ian »

FLV wrote:Kept expecting the next step to disappear but it never came.
It was a bit un-nerving doing it in the dark for that very reason...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

At Fisherfield If you don't fancy crossing at the loch entrance, follow the obvious path upstream to where the river forks. You'll get across there OK even after heavy rain. The problem with the crossing at the loch entrance is that the level won't change much as its the loch level, not the river level, so unless we get a drought between now and the end of may its going to be high....

Interested in the number of people going with bivvy kit - bear in mind the midges will be out in force by the end of May
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

How far off course counts as a disqualifiable detour though?
slarge

Post by slarge »

There's an alternative road route suggested to avoid the river crossing, so that is quite a long way off course, plus if any detour adds time rather than shortcuts it then it can't be counted as cheating can it?
FLV

Post by FLV »

I think it's ok to do the road route, on condition that you have ridden Into fisher field and decided not to cross.

It would be considerably slower
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

ScotRoutes wrote:How far off course counts as a disqualifiable detour though?

The fork is 600m upstream. I would guess that after ceossig going back downstream to the 'other' side of the river to rejoin the route would be acceptable.

It would certainly be ok by rules.
FLV

Post by FLV »

ianfitz wrote:

The fork is 600m upstream. I would guess that after ceossig going back downstream to the 'other' side of the river to rejoin the route would be acceptable.

I'd think so yep.

I think Alans brief was to cross if and where you feel its safe. Rejoin the track near to the intended crossing and its fine.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

FLV wrote:
ianfitz wrote:

I'd think so yep.

I think Alans brief was to cross if and where you feel its safe. Rejoin the track near to the intended crossing and its fine.
Thats what I'm thinking - backing out over and going round the road aint an option as I'm not gonna miss out the single track through letterewe plus going back upstream is going to be a faff and alot slower that taking the plunge at the loch entrance. In fact even if you dropped down to the river just before sheneval and crossed there (I'm pretty sure thats how I did it in '95) you've got half a mile of trackless bog to negotiate before you rejoin the path which will be slow going and only worth it if the river really is high. Plus I'm not in contention to win in any case so I can't see anybody objecting....
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Decision made..
Shame, it's a tough call to make but I certainly don't think you'll be the last. I think your your head and heart really need to be in it 100%, anything less just won't cut it.
slarge

Post by slarge »

2 weeks to go. Not quite crapping it but not far off. Final bike checks this weekend and a full trial pack - and I've already said goodbye to a few people......
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I'm still looking forward to this.

It'd be nice if I had a working bike other than my rigid singlespeed.

Hopefully the postman will bring me a couple of bits and pieces in the next two weeks to remedy that.
Ian

Post by Ian »

OK, I have now have a frame to do the Highland Trail on. Its being painted at the moment, and all being well will be here on Friday :-bd

However, in what is possibly shaping up to be the most difficult and unpredictable month of my life (so far), the head tube on it is 30mm longer than my old one, and so my fork steerer is too short. :|

Does anyone have any suggestions where I can beg/borrow/steal/purchase a suspension fork meeting the following criteria:
29" wheel, air sprung, 100mm travel, 205mm steerer, 1 1/8" straight steerer, (bolt-thru - desirable but not essential).

Thanks!
FLV

Post by FLV »

Ian wrote:OK, I have now have a frame to do the Highland Trail on. Its being painted at the moment, and all being well will be here on Friday :-bd

However, in what is possibly shaping up to be the most difficult and unpredictable month of my life (so far), the head tube on it is 30mm longer than my old one, and so my fork steerer is too short. :|

Does anyone have any suggestions where I can beg/borrow/steal/purchase a suspension fork meeting the following criteria:
29" wheel, air sprung, 100mm travel, 205mm steerer, 1 1/8" straight steerer, (bolt-thru - desirable but not essential).

Thanks!
I'd love to, and a week ago I'd have said yes...

My SID is currently in pieces on the workbench in the garage... looking very much like the damper in goosed (again)
My 'Spare' fork, REBA is refusing to hold negative air.

Damn things. Even If I get one working I wouldnt trust them now

*edit
This last two weeks has been a nightmare for parts protesting and giving in :cry:
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Having just seen it on Twitter, the new frame looks sweet Ian, I really like the colour :-bd
Ian

Post by Ian »

:shock: you're a step ahead of me - I haven't seen it yet...

Edit: OK, I have now: https://twitter.com/shandcycles/status/ ... 6954970112

Sweeeet! :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I like that, what colour is it?

I hope it'll be having a 'Shand panel' on the downtube.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

A metallic green kinda colour Stu
What made you go with slot dropouts over an EBB this time Ian?