Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Taylor

Re: Highland trail 550!!

Post by Taylor »

Ian's binned it too. :shock:
touch

Post by touch »

composite wrote: Also good ride from Gunther Desmedt,who I know on twitter. He was quite a way behind the front runners heading north, so to now be running 6th I think shows some good tactics in terms of slowly (relatively speaking) but surely.
Yeah, he seems to be riding with one of my mates, Keith Bremner. He'll be riding steady but doing long days and covering a lot of ground. They made up quite a few places last night when a few others in front stopped early but they kept on riding until 10:30-11.
I cant work out if Alan Goldsmith has joined them or is slightly behind.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

:cry: :cry:

One each for Ian & Slarge
Chew

Post by Chew »

:cry: Shame Ians out as well after all of the tribulations of just getting to the start line.

Looks like Alans in the 6-8 placed group with Gunter and Keith
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Chew wrote:Shame Ians out as well after all of the tribulations of just getting to the start line.
I expect his Shand isn't set up just right with only a week of prep.
Wildcat

Post by Wildcat »

I am very sad to say that Ian B is out.

He has been suffering with a Achilles tendon problem and the Hike a Bike sections have been very difficult.

Hope the rest of the riders are enjoying the riding as the trails are amazing.
ton

Post by ton »

anyone know if richpipps is still in?
deejayen

Post by deejayen »

I'm wondering how everyone is getting on, especially those bringing up the rear. It's been fascinating watching the dots over the past few days. One or two that appeared to be going relatively slowly on the first day seem to be just getting on with it, and have amazed me with the distance they've covered. I'd love to know if they're having a hard time of it, inching their way forwards, and doubting themselves, or if they're taking it steady, enjoying the views and the experience of living outdoors for such a prolonged period.
Matt

Post by Matt »

:cry: :cry:

Shame Ian and Steve are out, it's looked like a hell of a task this year. Hats off to both of them.

I imagine Ian just wants to save his legs for the more prestigious Mawddach trail in a couple of weeks
Chew

Post by Chew »

ton wrote:anyone know if richpipps is still in?
Looks like Rich is just rolling into Unapool
ton

Post by ton »

he must be going for full value for money I reckon Matt............. :grin:

make a nice holiday of it.
D Faff Master

Post by D Faff Master »

Lochinver traverse hike a bike killed me off. 16km of pushing over rocky largely unrideable terrain meant my left knee went from being fine to so bad that two walkers had to walk me off the mountain.

One took my bike the other lent me his walking poles. Without their help it would have taken several more hours.

I'm going to tour back on the road to Tyndrum over a few days.

So far today done about 12 miles had a full cooked breakfast and just finished off two slices of cake and a couple of coffees. This is more like it :cool:

Mark McP
deejayen

Post by deejayen »

Sorry to hear about your knee. Hope it's okay when cycling, and that you have a more relaxing trip back to Tyndrum.

It looks like Markus is on the Drumbeg road - it's tough enough with fresh legs! I've ridden it on fixed - I think I read that Markus is on singlespeed, which combined with MTB tyres etc could mean a lot of walking...
Chew

Post by Chew »

Phils now left Glen Affric and heading over to Fort Augustus. ~150k to the finish so i recon he may push on and finish tonight/morning.

Iona's stopped at the same place in Unapool as Rich did this morning. They must serve good chips :grin:
Finishing this route would be an achievement so Keep on Trucking Iona :-bd
Ian

Post by Ian »

flatfishy wrote:
Chew wrote:Shame Ians out as well after all of the tribulations of just getting to the start line.
I expect his Shand isn't set up just right with only a week of prep.
The bike was ace. It's the rider that didn't hold up. More to do with footwear than bike specifics.

Thanks for other messages. Will update later when I'm back properly.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Gutted for ian and others dropping out I've got massive respect to anyone trying this race :-bd
Trying to ride bikes.
jameso

Post by jameso »

^ Likewise .. when so many riders are bailing and the weather looks that bad you know it's a tough ride. Genuinely glad to be watching the dots and not being one! Huge respect for everyone that started out, I'd imagine you all knew it was going to be nails-hard before it even began.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Super impressed with everyone who contemplates this. Even those at the back are putting in 75+ hard mountain miles every day.

Whilst at the front I'm watching the gap between Phil and Andrew. Seems to be hovering around 3hrs or so. Will Phil stop? And risk Andrew pulling an all nighter to sneak past??

Also only just another few hrs back are Tom and Steve battling it out for 3rd and 4th.

Very glad I'm watching the dots with the comfort of my pipe and slippers
2924 miles per Gallon
Ian

Post by Ian »

ScotRoutes wrote:Posted this elsewhere too...

I bumped into Ian Barrington yesterday lunchtime just past Garve (I was on my way to Torridon and saw he was about to pass). He was feeling very tired, not having had much sleep in the bothy on account of arriving late and everyone else getting up early. He had planned a wee bivi in the woods but the midge were horrendous.

I think the fastest guys are getting the best of the weather too. It was drier in the more northerly reaches yesterday and better way out west today.
Ah, that was you was it? You didn't say, and I wasn't with it enough to ask...

Got 3 hours sleep at the bothy. Arrived at 1:30am, everyone was up around 4:45 and we were away by 5:00am.
Mid morning I was falling asleep on the bike. Could find anywhere to power nap, which is when SR showed up. Decided I'd take a caffeine gel, which worked up to Amat Forest, then a women stopped me on a but of road and asked for directions and it really woke me up. Funny how little things can affect you.
Ian

Post by Ian »

composite wrote:Big respect to Steve Large he's having an vaguely exciting ride at the moment.
He was. I couldn't stick with him...

For those saying I wasn't quicker - I did 400km in 2 days.
Just sayin' :wink:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Ian wrote:
ScotRoutes wrote:Posted this elsewhere too...

I bumped into Ian Barrington yesterday lunchtime just past Garve (I was on my way to Torridon and saw he was about to pass). He was feeling very tired, not having had much sleep in the bothy on account of arriving late and everyone else getting up early. He had planned a wee bivi in the woods but the midge were horrendous.

I think the fastest guys are getting the best of the weather too. It was drier in the more northerly reaches yesterday and better way out west today.
Ah, that was you was it? You didn't say, and I wasn't with it enough to ask...
You are excused! TBH, you looked so well out of it (and the midges so thick) that I really didn't want to detain you any further :grin:
composite

Post by composite »

Ian wrote:
composite wrote:Big respect to Steve Large he's having an vaguely exciting ride at the moment.
He was. I couldn't stick with him...

For those saying I wasn't quicker - I did 400km in 2 days.
Just sayin' :wink:
It was really that I expected you to be quicker than last year with all that puffin riding. Now knowing that the conditions were worse and carrying a problem so matching that speed is "quicker".
Ian

Post by Ian »

Gunther appears to be exiting back out (north) from Fisherfield?
Keith and David have gone through the river crossing, but I don't know what the river level would be like if it's rained out that way today.
Last edited by Ian on Tue May 27, 2014 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Ian, you are just vaguely exciting and an inspiration for doing what you do year on year.

I wish I was just a fraction as fit and determined as you are
Ian

Post by Ian »

D Faff Master wrote:Lochinver traverse hike a bike killed me off. 16km of pushing over rocky largely unrideable terrain meant my left knee went from being fine to so bad that two walkers had to walk me off the mountain.

One took my bike the other lent me his walking poles. Without their help it would have taken several more hours.

I'm going to tour back on the road to Tyndrum over a few days.

So far today done about 12 miles had a full cooked breakfast and just finished off two slices of cake and a couple of coffees. This is more like it :cool:

Mark McP
That's a real bummer - you were going well.
I found that section tough too. From Suileag bothy to the road took 4 hours. It isn't that far.

I see from the track leaders replay you past me in Glen Golly at the start of the top section. Did you see me in my bivvy bag, or was it too dark?