Another long ITT type race - would there be interest?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

evilgoat

Another long ITT type race - would there be interest?

Post by evilgoat »

Don’t want to tread on anyone’s toes, I hope this post is not out of turn. Stuart’s built up bear bones and I realise that I’m posting on his forum. Please say if you think this is out of order.

Is there room in the calendar / enough interest for another endurance race like the BB200?

I have toyed with the idea of putting on some form of race/event for a while. Really like the format of BB200 and this has sort of clicked in my head.

I wouldn’t be doing this to make money, my intention would be that the entry fee would go to charity. I have done some previous fundraising events but would like to do something different to the personal sponsorship challenge.

I have a location for the start and finish and a vague idea of a route heading through Berwyns and north wales. Distance in the region of 250km.

It’s all a vague idea at the moment. Just wanted to gauge interest in another type of this event?

Cheers

Mike
FLV

Re: Another long ITT type race - would there be interest?

Post by FLV »

Why not just do it as an ITT route.

Ride the route, post a time, share it. Make a mini website and put a donate button on it?

Then perhaps organise a mass free start but suggest that donations from starters to the charidee would be appreciated?

That way, theres no set fee and no obligation from you to provide any kind of service's ?
composite

Post by composite »

I think a grand depart provides a focal point for the route. If you can sort out somewhere for people to park and possibly camp up like the BB200 then that makes the logistics easier for everyone.

I would be interested for sure.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I think there would be interest. Personally I doubt I will ever do a 24 hour type event again and this type of event appeals more. One big circuit of changing scenery much better than constant laps.

As composite says somewhere to leave the vehicles while we are away would be good. Start small and see how it goes. Maybe running it in the summer between WRT and BB200 would be a nice time.
evilgoat

Post by evilgoat »

Cheers for the feedback.

Yes I have a start location with plenty of parking, would work for a Grand Depart and like the idea of providing breakfast for all returnees.

My idea was to make entry via a voluntary donation to the charity I am involved with.

So I set to work last night and roughed out a route.

260km and 8900m of climbing sound OK?

:o
barney

Post by barney »

wow, I was initially interested but 260km in 24hrs is a bit out my comfort zone I'm afraid

Evilgoat, where are you located?

I'm North West based (Wirral) and if I couldn't ride and you wanted some help organising this then drop me a PM.

Not sure what I could bring to the table but you never know.
Wait for me...
evilgoat

Post by evilgoat »

Barney, cheers for the offer. I'll keep it in mind.

That isn't the final route. it was just an idea!

I think with a 10am start on the sat, 260k should be completable by afternoon on sunday with a short bivi and normal fitness types (this is based on me. - I did bb200 in 25 1/2 hours with a 5 hour bivi stop).

However, i am concerned about the amount of climbing in that route. will keep working on it.

I'm based in leicestershire, but the ride will start north-west shropshire, and my idea was across wales and back. so Shropshire to the sea, and back. SSAB 260?
composite

Post by composite »

Do you have a totally ridable route in mind or is it "adventure" style :P like the BB200?

If starting in Shropshire I guess the Long Mynd will be part of it?
evilgoat

Post by evilgoat »

is there anything other than adventure style? ;)

Some bits I know, some I don't so would need to do some recce work. This route idea is really my first go last night playing on mem map, there will be tweaks.

No Long Mynd. North shrops borders. So a nice chunk of berwyns. twice.

:)
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Done a little riding in The Berwyns and really enjoyed it. 260km sounds a long way when compared to BB200 but if terrain is faster then maybe not so bad. Doubt I will manage 24 hours though.
gairym

Post by gairym »

I like the sound of it but for me it'd be all about the timing as I've been plagued by things not quite lining up with my visits back to the UK of late.

Still, if you're looking to gauge interest then my hand is up (the idea of a summer event could well work out better for me too!).

Good luck getting it up and running.
slowupslowdown-under

Post by slowupslowdown-under »

if you could make it for march or early may that would be great!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

if you could make it for march or early may that would be great!
Nooo, not early May. The WRT is going to be early May next year ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
evilgoat

Post by evilgoat »

Prob end June/early July, is my current thoughts.

I'll do some planning and let people know.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I'm in North Shropshire, can see the Berwyns from the back of the house.

I have had a loose plan to ride to the coast from here, probably to the bothy in CyB then get the train back from Barmouth, however there isn't much in the way of anything interesting to ride until you get to the Tanat valley - it's flat from here to there.

Whereabouts are you planning to start from?