Show your support - Well done all.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gairym

Re: Show your support - rider down.

Post by gairym »

PP sent - it's not much but 'every little helps' as they say.

The 'accident' sounds more like reckless driving to me?

Get better fella!
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Show your support - rider down.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Thank you to everyone that sent contributions across ... I managed to resist temptation and rather than buy myself a Surly Straggler frame ;) , I've just sent the money* across to Neil. Hopefully it should be enough to get his bike back together when he's ready or something.

*I won't say how much but you can gauge it by what I didn't buy.
May the bridges you burn light your way
paul

Re: Show your support - Well done all.

Post by paul »

Neil will respond when he can, on his behalf I would like to say a big thank you from the bottom of my saturated mtb shoes.

A week on, with a shattered T12 vertebra / ruptured disc and ligament damage etc he has sat up, walked round the bed (with crutches) and today, apparently done the 'stairs' test I should add this has all been under the supervision and watchful eye of professional staff. There is talk of him possibly going home this week, how vaguely exciting is that - the consultant remarked (something we can all draw from during the cold winter months) both the initial trauma and recovery have been helped significantly by the level of fitness / muscle tone.

Mike (the other member of our team) and I are considering planning a similar style route in our beloved Yorkshire Moors / Dales. We reckon we can come up with a thank you route. For now Cheers, and watch this space
MM-on-POINT

Post by MM-on-POINT »

all the best, get well soon.
P P sent
evilgoat

Post by evilgoat »

me too. sorry it's a bit late.
paul

Post by paul »

Me again. Neil has been released from hospital today and is returning home as I type. I take it that all his notes etc will be transferred to our local hospital 'up north'. At present he requires crutches and as far as I'm aware is unable to stand / balance unaided, but the consultant is amazed at his progress during the last 7 days. Being sensible and complying with medical and family advice he could be pain free within a month, as for a time-scale , anyone who has injured their back knows full well it'll take as long as it'll take, we can only wish Neil a full recovery, something that is just over the horizon at the moment, but it's there.
Last edited by paul on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Great news given the circumstances. Thanks for the update Paul. All the best to Neil.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

All the best to Neil and I hope a speedy recovery.
Looking forward to a ride round the Dales - happy to try to support it (not been that way since geology field trips and some climbing years ago).
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
paul

Post by paul »

[quote="99percentchimp"]All the best to Neil and I hope a speedy recovery.
Looking forward to a ride round the Dales - happy to try to support it (not been that way since geology field trips and some climbing years ago). It's anticipated that our 200k N York Moors 'thank you' bikepacking route will happen Sept 2014 (in time for you to recover for the BB in Oct)
Matt

Post by Matt »

A round of drinks sent, sorry a bit late.
BACKPAIN

Post by BACKPAIN »

Hi its Neil the bloke who had an unscheduled meeting with a red honda civic. I just want to say a massive thank you to you all for the comments best wishes and generous donations that you have made-words would never express my gratitude. it has been a very humbling experience.we are certainly a brotherhood of sorts us bikers.
As Paul has kept you all updated you will know i'm home but i am on a go slow and won't be playing out for a good while.I have to look on the bright side and know that one day i will be out again and you never know i may pop up on the bare bones next year to complete the unfinnished ride.
I have to pay particular respect and thanks to anyone and everyone who helped me Paul or mike on that weekend. If anyone should know who the young couple were who stopped just after the collision and took charge of my immediate care and organised ambulance etc and recovery of bikes and kit please could you identify them to me (or get in touch if its you reading this) as i owe them a massive debt of gratitude and would like to say a personal thanks.
i will keep you updated, thanks again ...Neil
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If anyone should know who the young couple were
Neil, was it was 2 Bear Bones riders, male and female? If it was there's only 2 people it can be ... let me know and I'll pass on their details.
composite

Post by composite »

Great to see that you are out of hospital. To be honest when I read the injuries I feared you might be layed up for months.
BACKPAIN

Post by BACKPAIN »

s8tannorm wrote:
If anyone should know who the young couple were
Neil, was it was 2 Bear Bones riders, male and female? If it was there's only 2 people it can be ... let me know and I'll pass on their details.
no i think they were just going to some horse show ? and were just out early thats some start to there day
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

no i think they were just going to some horse show ? and were just out early thats some start to there day
Okay, I'll ask about. Someone will know who they are.