If there were a UK 'gravel race' ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

If there were a UK 'gravel race' ...

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

... would you consider entering?

For those who aren't sure what a gravel race is, think - long distance (100+ miles) on mainly gravel (forest / dirt) roads. Ideally suited to CX type bikes.

A little background, etc here
http://gravelgrindernews.com/
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Re: If there were a UK 'gravel race' ...

Post by johnnystorm »

There was a Cyclocross "enduro" around thetford forest a while back, mainly on the forest roads. Almost that kind of thing. I would have entered had it not clashed with something else.
Zoglug

Post by Zoglug »

Once i sort my fitness out, its certainly something i would consider entering.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I'd enter as long as it's within reach
Chew

Post by Chew »

I'm sure if someone was to organise something people would turn up ;)

Some interesting stuff on that link. Full moon races, multiday stuff. Maybe some kind of offroad Audax?
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Yes!
greenmug

Post by greenmug »

The idea sounds similar to the Kielder100 (RIP!).
I had a go last weekend. It is all forrest track/landrover track etc. A bit of lumpy stuff but perfectly doable on short travel hard tails so maybe even on a cross.

I loved the format as all the effort went into the peddling, no thinking about lines and roots etc. 100 miles in one go is as much as I'd want to do (depends on climbing).

Worth noting that at that distance, most attendees would consider it enough challenge to complete. Although the BB200 idea of time bands appeals. In the Kielder there was a mass in the 12-13 hour group. The winners do it in a bit over 7.
FLV

Post by FLV »

yes, if it were cheap / free.

The bb200 / el n back etc are the only races I pay for, and thats only because the fees are so reasonable (parking, sandwich or toast) and I really like the events, format and people.

I wouldnt consider entering Mayhem or anything like that,
jameso

Post by jameso »

Yes, if it wasn't a heavily publicised, £25+ entry kind of thing and I could get to it. One of the things I've enjoyed most about a couple of trips I've done has been long days on empty, relatively fast dirt/gravel double-track type trails. Like road riding but off road. Where I live there's sections of farm tracks etc that link up to make good CX loops but there's always a hoof-churned bridleway or roads between the dirt stuff. Make it a 2-3 dayer and I'll travel a fair way for it.
paul78

Post by paul78 »

I certainly would :)
shoestring-racing.blogspot.com
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

Oh yes, if it was a great big loop round Wales or how about a point to point 2 dayer with a group overnight bivy, combined times for the two days count.
The old git in the yellow socks
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Been looking at cx and similar bikes this week. Mrs B asked me where I wuold use it and I was struggling for an answer that she would accept. Yes please!
slowupslowdown-under

Post by slowupslowdown-under »

defo!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Not me. Many years ago when I raced I did the Kielder mtb race a couple of times then stopped as it was all forest track and very boring. You could have done it on a CX bike but in them day's anything with other than 26 inch wheels was banned. I never did understand that rule or the one that said "it must look like a mountain bike" , what the hell was that all about.
thomthumb

Post by thomthumb »

i'd be there with bells on.
barney

Post by barney »

are we talking an "overnighter" or just a day race?

either way I'd be interested, much as I love riding my bike off-road sometimes the obligatory hike-a-bike section wears me down.

Let me know when you are thinking of putting it on Stu so I know how long I've got to convince Mrs Barney that I need a Fargo !!! :lol:
Wait for me...
composite

Post by composite »

I'm in. :)
Ian

Post by Ian »

What are people's views on distance for these things?
100 miles, 200, more ?
composite

Post by composite »

Well it was 100miles that caught my attention. I guess a longer 200-300miler would be on if done as a multi day thing.

EDIT: When I say multi day, I mean unsupported of course. :)
Last edited by composite on Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thomthumb

Post by thomthumb »

I'd be keen for something that is in the US gravel grinder style. [trans iowa/ dirty kanza, etc etc] ie no camping but possibly an overnight.

I think timing is important. Paul78 is definitely a better judge than me but i get the impression that the american gravel roads are somewhat better maintained than our forestry roads. If we went for 100/200/300 miles it would take somewhat longer than over there <.

I think something of 12 (winner) to 24 (last finisher) hours would be ideal. this is pretty similar to DK200.

I'd guess that means 150 miles ish...
Ian

Post by Ian »

thomthumb wrote:If we went for 100/200/300 miles it would take somewhat longer than over there.

I think something of 12 (winner) to 24 (last finisher) hours would be ideal. this is pretty similar to DK200.

I'd guess that means 150 miles ish...
Cor, you're not kidding. Just checked the Dirty Kanza website, which gives a schedule for Race Day:

6:00 am. DK200 & Half-Pint Start.
Noon. (Approximate) – First DK Half-Pint Finishers.
5:30 pm. First DK200 Finishers.

Average speed therefore c. 17.4 mph, which seems pretty flippin' quick to me for gravel roads :shock:

+ I reckon 200 miles of Welsh gravel would have something like 8000m of climbing...
jameso

Post by jameso »

Ian wrote:What are people's views on distance for these things?
100 miles, 200, more ?
Any distance that's too long for XC race-pace, long enough to attempt to finish in one go I guess. US gravel events seems to mean a monster 'day' ride, but do we even have more than 100-150 miles of trails for this here?
Edit -
+ I reckon 200 miles of Welsh gravel would have something like 8000m of climbing...
so we do.. (mild panic sets in, thinks about tyres and gearing)
Chew

Post by Chew »

Ian wrote:Average speed therefore c. 17.4 mph, which seems pretty flippin' quick to me for gravel roads :shock:
Gravel roads in the US are very different to anything over here. Basically any B roads or lower are gravel based over there, and when i say gravel some of the better ones are like dusty concrete with a thin layer of pea sized pebble covering them.

I think any route would just be CX friendly, rather than you have to ride one to enter. You could ride a CX bike on the BB200 route, but if it would be faster may be another discussion.

Distance is another strange one as depending on where you are on the speed/fitness scale depends on what kind of event it would be for each person. Same with the BB200. For some its a challenge to see if you can ride/navigate the whole route in one go, for others its more of a challenge to finish.
zigrat

Post by zigrat »

I'd be up for it - was half thinking about organising something similar north of Glasgow using forrestry tracks and sustrans no.7 route and maybe a bit of the West Highland Way (if anyone's keen for next summer let me know).
Suspect it's more about the ride time than the actual distance, 12 hrs for the leaders and 15-16 for the bunch ?
Would also be nice to have it in summer so you could go light and to pass through places where you could re-supply.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Hope something aappens. Put some 37mm tyres on my rigid Niner and did 100km on tracks and some Sustrans routes today. Hope my first training session wasn't wasted;-)