BB200 minimum kit

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

johnnystorm

BB200 minimum kit

Post by johnnystorm »

If you were at WRT 2013 you would have seen me narrowly avoid having the heaviest all-in weight at the weigh in. For the BB200 I'm determined to be a bit more "bearbones"about it... ;)

So in true weight-weenie fashion:

Sleeping Bag (Blacks Apex Down 2-3 season)
Kip-Mat (Klymit X-Lite)
Bivi-Bag (SOL Emergency Bivvy)
iPhone 4s/Orange Stockholm (cheapo android to save weight!)

....and lights

If I'm truly honest though lights wise I'm hoping to put a good few miles at night so I'll bring the Exposure 6-Pack & Diablo with me as well (uh oh, slippery slope.....) besides, the Fargo is hardly feather weight either. :lol:
Chew

Re: BB200 minimum kit

Post by Chew »

Think you need to ask yourself if you are trying to complete the route in one or are you going to have to stop?

If you're going sub 24 opt for minimal equipment (emergency stuff) if you are planning on stopping it may be worth looking at the comfort side of things.

Also think about the weather conditions in mid October. Last year it dropped to -5c overnight.

Down & non breathable bivi?
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I'm going to try for non-stop....I reckon as it was a one nighter at worst then I could live with the lack of breath ability. The other option is I take my Rab Storm or swmbo's synthetic bag, but that'll be heavier & cooler. Or I just take all my proper kit and be done with.... ;)
Ian

Post by Ian »

I think everyone that has gone under 24 hours didn't stop to bivvy.
Stopping to bivvy, unless for only a couple of hours, is going to limit your ability to finish under 24hrs I reckon.
But remember the route gets harder towards the end this year too, so if you stop make sure you allow enough time for the final push.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Right, that's it then. No sleep 'til Brooklyn. Err, Pennant. :?
evilgoat

Post by evilgoat »

That's my plan. Unless it's pissing down all day then I'll be straight in a bothy.

Trying to decide whether to take 2 season bag and down jacket or 4 season and thermals.
Ian

Post by Ian »

johnnystorm wrote:Right, that's it then. No sleep 'til Brooklyn. Err, Pennant. :?
Biggest problem I've had last two years was staying awake. Even a large dose of caffeine didn't stop me nearly falling asleep on the bike.

@evilgoat - that sort of decision is best made a day or two before when we know what the forecast is going to be like (though I'll probably take my 2 season bag anyway, especially if bothies are nearby)
burty

Post by burty »

here is my minimum kit, one bike plus a load of crap I will not use or need , (other crap not in picture)
Attachments
bb2.jpg
bb2.jpg (129.37 KiB) Viewed 1682 times
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I'd get the buckle in that front wheel sorted first. ;)