Fancy racing in Israel?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Zoglug

Re: Fancy racing in Israel?

Post by Zoglug »

I thought about it for a long while, searching flights, the route etc. But managed to convince myself it is a step too far for me next year. There is no way i can lose best part of 4 stone and get confident mtbing/navigating in a foreign country. UK only for me next year.

Maybe 2015 if it is still going.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I thought about it for a long while, searching flights, the route etc. But managed to convince myself it is a step too far for me next year. There is no way i can lose best part of 4 stone and get confident mtbing/navigating in a foreign country. UK only for me next year.
You might be surprised by what's possible and what you're capable of, given the right motivation ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

s8tannorm wrote:
You might be surprised by what's possible and what you're capable of, given the right motivation ;)
Ditto what Stu says. After coming back to cycling and riding a road bike for 1 month, I signed up to cycle to Paris and 7 months later had lost 3 stone and did 300 miles in 3 days. Commit to something, pay the money and you'll be surprised at what you can do. My motivation was that I didn't want to be the one at the back.

I love the look of this trip but it's gonna be 10-14 days away from home and the family which I just can't justify. :cry:
paul78

Post by paul78 »

Anyone done any projected costs ? looks like you can get a place to stay easy with riders when you get there .. looks cool
shoestring-racing.blogspot.com
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Anyone done any projected costs ?
Only thing I've really checked so far is flights ... if prices remain as they are then they seem pretty reasonable, something like £200 - £250 return.
Adrian Brewster

Post by Adrian Brewster »

.... just a thought, but is there any political or ethical problem in getting involved in this race? I guess if Stephen Hawking and Noam Chomsky where signed up then no problemo ... or am I just being a tedious anarcho-lefty, Guardian reading, boring old fart?
jameso

Post by jameso »

I think Israel's pretty normal. Maybe just a visa needed.

And remember to not do what I did in Spain each time we stopped for a look inside one of the very impressive cathedrals on-route - walk in and exclaim 'Holy sshhiiiiiitt...... oops'
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

.... just a thought, but is there any political or ethical problem in getting involved in this race? I guess if Stephen Hawking and Noam Chomsky where signed up then no problemo ... or am I just being a tedious anarcho-lefty, Guardian reading, boring old fart?
IMOO it's just riding bikes ... in reality I don't see any moral implications. Is it any worse than racing in the US or even the UK ?
Chew

Post by Chew »

Adrian Brewster wrote:.... just a thought, but is there any political or ethical problem in getting involved in this race?
Such as?
Adrian Brewster

Post by Adrian Brewster »

If you are interested in boycott stuff read http://www.bdsmovement.net/bdsintro but it is just about riding bikes really. End of debate.
paul78

Post by paul78 »

So I make is £166 return with easyjet inc bike ... sod it it would be rude not to go at that price :)
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Not moral but political.

The wife did some work in Israel a few years back and is now excluded from a few other countries due to these other countries not liking Israel. All because she was at a computer banking software conference for 3 days.
paul78

Post by paul78 »

Just a quick look on internet it seems that Israeli immigration are aware of the issue of a stamp in your passport so now provide a separate visa on paper they stamp as opposed to stamping your passport ...

anyone else in ?
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

It was the visa issue stopping me. I have heard nice things about cycling in Iran, if I went to this event I could not go there in the future. A couple of other places in my wish list may feel the same.

I think I am eligible for a British passport and use for the trip - but do I want to be British, even for 2 weeks? :D
jameso

Post by jameso »

jameso wrote:I think Israel's pretty normal. Maybe just a visa needed.
Erm, I really misread the question there.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

A week earlier and it would've been perfect for half term. :(
composite

Post by composite »

Wow this looks incredible. I was hoping to get an international trip in next year and as 2014 is the year of me really getting into racing this looks like the perfect trip. Would be great to go out there with a few other UK based guys.
paul78

Post by paul78 »

Definitely a few people from the UK going.

Will be booking my flight this month though every time I check it goes up ... must stop checking it :(
composite

Post by composite »

Was thinking of flying into Tel Aviv on the 15th and book a flight to go back out on the 26th. So allowing 8 days to race (but hoping to be quicker than that) and then a day or 2 contingency. Is this similar to what other people were thinking? Never done this type of trip before. :?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is this similar to what other people were thinking? Never done this type of trip before.
I haven't got as far as working dates out but that sounds about right.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

It's a long time since I was in Israel but airport immigration would not let me through until I had a definate booking for where I was staying that first night so save yourselves some hassle and sort it before you go. Oh, and be prepared to be interigated to the n'th degree and have everything your taking searched and searched again.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Ive only just seen this thread, hmmm the route sounds good and i maybe interested in going over as for once im on leave for this week as long as im back in about ten eleven days??
Chew

Post by Chew »

composite wrote:Is this similar to what other people were thinking? Never done this type of trip before
Firstly you're going to have to get there and to the start, build up the bike and have a bit of a rest as you'll have 1300km to ride/race - Thats going to take 2 days

Getting there is easy as you can sort everything out before you leave. Getting back is more tricky as theres more variables/things that can change. Also at the end you'll be mentally and physically exhausted so things are going to take twice as long as normal - I'd probably allow 3 days to get back to the airport/box the bike up/get home etc

Then its how fast is the route/how fast can you ride it?
6 days for the fast guys (200km a day) maybe up to double for someone 'average'

Then theres the whole contingency thing. Do you want to race to your ability or to a deadline?
Also if something happens (say loose a day due to a broken bike) do you want to have to jack it in there and then to make your flight home or just continue at a touring pace to finish the route?

If I was doing it (thinking about it) i'd probably allow for 2 weeks for the whole trip
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The logistics might be simplified and time saved given that airport pick-ups / drop-offs might be available.
Do you want to race to your ability or to a deadline?
Reckon a deadline might work in some peoples favour ;)
FLV

Post by FLV »

did anyone book it then....