One more question please

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

One more question please

Post by JohnClimber »

Sorry to ask but is there anything lighter and as good as a Hunka bivi bag?

It will be used under a tarp. What other quality bivi bags are out there in the market place please?
d45yth

Re: One more question please

Post by d45yth »

Are you prepared to pay more for one (double)? If so, those from Borah Gear are held in high regard on here...do a search within the forum for ideas on the material and size options.
- The seasons blow away, but the love is just the same -
FLV

Post by FLV »

I like my Borah gear one.

Mesh face is ace. I'd recommend the long zip option to aid getting in and out
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Cheers, after a search on here for "Borah" I found this very useful thread.

http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... rah#p20371
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

IMO the real plus for the Borah (or similar) is the netting.

Mine's std length but wide, my exped mat and winter quilt fit inside it with plenty of room to loft. I also find the rectangular shape feels far less restrictive than mummy shaped bivvy.

I think when you take everything into account - weight, pack size, cost, quality and how user friendly it is, then it's very hard to better.

Agree with FLV, the extended zip is worth having as are the corner pegging tabs.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

I got a terra nova moonlight for £80 ish delivered. A bit heavier than a borah at 180g but has a draw-string opening so I thought it'd be better if used w/o tarp in the wet - I think, unless borah users tell me otherwise? Sleep face-down with the drawstring done up and it's fine in the wet. But if you use a tarp all the time, borah looks like a better / good vfm option.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I got a terra nova moonlight for £80 ish delivered.
I used to have a TN Moonlite. It was good, certainly light enough and breathed well but I couldn't fit a mat inside* or a winter bag ... so for me it was fine for (midge free) summer use but not all year.

*other opinions about mat inside or outside are available.
jameso

Post by jameso »

^ It is a closer fit than my old Rab bag, good point. I tend to use mat outside the bag tho so all ok. A separate head net works ok for the winged terrors, but not as good as a built in one I expect. May trade my Rab in for a borah for summer/dry use, they seem to get a thumbs-up here.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I received my Borah Bivvy (slightly customised designed, M90 top) the other week. I've tested it in my garden once so far (when it was incredibly humid actually and there was a bit of very very light drizzle), without a tarp. Was very impressed with it.

I'll do a more detailed write up with a couple of photos and observations if there's interest.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Cheers all, looks like the Borah has my name on it and I've dropped them an email.

Do you thing the Thermarest Neo Air will fit inside the Borah and give enough room for my winter bag which is a Mountain Hardware Lamina 0 synthetic bag (which claims to go down to -18 degrees)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'll do a more detailed write up with a couple of photos and observations if there's interest.
Crack on Zippy, always welcome.
Do you thing the Thermarest Neo Air will fit inside the Borah and give enough room for my winter bag which is a Mountain Hardware Lamina 0 synthetic bag (which claims to go down to -18 degrees)
Yes, easily ... but get the wide version.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Please excuse another thread hijack, but does anyone know breathable the TN Moonlight is? Is it as breathable as a hunka? I.e. would it be a comparable spec bivi?
I do love the borah bivi's, but I like the taped seams etc of my hunka
Atb
Ben
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Please excuse another thread hijack, but does anyone know breathable the TN Moonlight is?
I'd say very similar, TN is certainly no worse than a Hunka.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Ben98 wrote: I do love the borah bivi's, but I like the taped seams etc of my hunka
Has anyone with a Borah ever had the sorts of problems that taped seams are meant cure?

Surly if this was an issues they would tape seams as they make them wouldn't they?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Has anyone with a Borah ever had the sorts of problems that taped seams are meant cure?

Surly if this was an issues they would tape seams as they make them wouldn't they?
The material can't be taped on a Borah (Silnylon and M50 / 90) but the seams can be seam sealed if you wanted ... not that it's really required in most situations, after all there's a big hole in the top where you get in and out ;)
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

How does the size of the Moonlight compare to a hunka?
Its looking like my next purchase :-P
FLV

Post by FLV »

Re the size of a Borah bivi.

I have a normal width and don't have an issue with a full size downmat 7 and a phd diamir 500 bag. I'm not a huge chap but no whippet framed racer either. I don't move about much in the night or try to sit up in it or anything either though