Heresy I know but...

Post by royAB »

.... need some new lycra shorts :shock: .... to go under baggies

So, suggestions as to the 'best for bikepacking' please

Tnx All
JohnClimber

Re: Heresy I know but...

Post by JohnClimber »

The best padded, the best fitting and usually the most expensive you can afford as these WILL last the longest.

I go for Skins C400's
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Lusso everytime for lycra.

Properly sewn in Englandshire too.
composite

Post by composite »

I've not really found price to be the limiting the factor. Cheap £10 sports direct jobbies have lasted me as long as more expensive endura shorts.

Current bang for buck I would suggest are the Dare2B Upshot bibs, I think maybe the new ones are the upshot 2. My review here: http://www.composite-projects.co.uk/201 ... ng-review/
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I've tried a few different ones (santini, bontrager, nalini, supermarket jobs etc) and I think the DHB ones are my favourite. I wear bib shorts though...
Lughnasadh

Post by Lughnasadh »

I also wear bib shorts. Keeps the kidneys nice and cosy!
I second the suggested dhbs, very good gear at good price.
If money is not the limiting factor though you can not beat assos - excellent gear.
d45yth

Post by d45yth »

I'm a fan of the Gore Alp-X bibs (have 3 pairs on rotation). They are harder wearing than those designed for roadies. I find the pad keeps it's 'paddiness', unlike a lot of cheaper bibs I've tried too.
- The seasons blow away, but the love is just the same -
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Hijack ... anyone know of any bibs that don't have padding?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Santini do some I think. I've got some of their winter ones that come without a bib. Craft do some as well although I don't know about their quality as I don't own any craft stuff (bar an old base layer).
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Ground Effect (quality NZ clobber) might :?
Firmo

Post by Firmo »

Assos are the best on the market,

But you can't go wrong with Wiggle's DHB range. I bought my first pair of these earlier this year, and am so surprised at how good these are.

Avoid cheap shorts. They will wear at the seams, the logos etc will fall off, they will fray, and worst of all - the chammy won't be breathable, will be a bad fit, and will not do your backside any favours at all!
Firmo
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

d45yth wrote:I'm a fan of the Gore Alp-X bibs (have 3 pairs on rotation). They are harder wearing than those designed for roadies. I find the pad keeps it's 'paddiness', unlike a lot of cheaper bibs I've tried too.
Cheers for that snippet of info, I think I'll try a set of these.
royAB

Post by royAB »

OK, if I spend 100 smackers on Assos, what do I really get that I wouldn't with those from Lusso eg? (Never been close enough to someone with that sort of $ to ask)
Lughnasadh

Post by Lughnasadh »

royAB wrote:OK, if I spend 100 smackers on Assos, what do I really get that I wouldn't with those from Lusso eg? (Never been close enough to someone with that sort of $ to ask)
It would be worth taking a look at the literature that Assos put out with their shorts - it explains the benefits in tech talk.
But in my simple terms the main advantage I would say was the pad itself - it is very big (not thick but it covers a large area) and very confortable. It feels very different to my dhb pad and gives me no discomfort on my very firm - with no padding - saddle!
Assos make claims about the material and construction of the shorts and how they provide compression and muscle support to reduce fatigue - I dont ride enough to be elite enough to notice these marginal gains.

Also worth mentioning that I have had mine for a couple of years and have put around three thousand miles in with them and they still look as good as new but for a couple of oil splashes on my snazzy yellow lycra. They have held up in far better nick than my DHB bib knickers.

I think the model I have is the F1 Uno. I will buy another pair of Assos to replace them if they ever give up!
royAB

Post by royAB »

Lughnasadh, I thank you sir... most useful info.