Road/CX lightweight bikepackers - let's see 'em

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cheeky Monkey

Re: Road/CX lightweight bikepackers - let's see 'em

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Gryphon's rock 8-)

Fitted the widest Salsa Woodchippers I could find to mine.
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

Ian wrote:
ScotRoutes wrote:I found the Woodchipper bars made a huge difference to off-road handling
I deliberated for a good while before I bought the Bell Laps over the Woodchippers. Might have made the wrong choice. I'll probably also go up a tyre size too - currently on a 35c, but they seem a very skinny 35 - barely wider than the 32c they replaced, but then 3mm isn't all that much anyway.

Any suggestions for 38/40c CX tyres?
I'm now on Continental Cyclocross (no other name) 42c tyres, seal well on the Alpha's and nice extra cushion, not seen much mud recently though. Touch big for some frames I guess, almost like the old XC 1.5s
The old git in the yellow socks
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

ImageUntitled photo by numplumz, on Flickr

Playing around with my Ragley frame, now has Midges on and loads up well with bags and tons of clearance as you'd expect. Lots of fun and has some potential.

That's the Conti on the rear Ian
The old git in the yellow socks
Gari

Post by Gari »

@chrisn, same gen frame as mine, how do you find the gear hangar? Fancy one but have heard mixed reviews, I have had 1 puncture in three yrs on several bikes so maybe not as much of an issue as for some folks ;) nice looking bike.
chris n

Post by chris n »

Bit of a pain TBH, though once you've got the knack it's ok. If I'm running derailleur gears I'd prefer vertical dropouts and a proper hanger. I never put enough air in my tires on that bike so get punctures quite often. :roll:

Sold it now though.
Fen-yak

Post by Fen-yak »

I've got a Croix de fer and toying with Midgies or similar to give more bar space - can anyone vouch for midgies having more space? Cheers
chris n

Post by chris n »

Space where?
Fen-yak

Post by Fen-yak »

should have mentioned - between the hoods Chris
Fen-yak

Post by Fen-yak »

Bike in current set up in the Brecon Beacons - this route is about 6 miles from home :D
-Hopefully to be one of my first away nights on the bike...
Attachments
IMG_20130519_160736_830-002.jpg
IMG_20130519_160736_830-002.jpg (24.21 KiB) Viewed 5174 times
chris n

Post by chris n »

There's a little more space between the hoods because of the flare but the flat part of the bar is narrower than a standard drop bar.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Fen-yak wrote:Bike in current set up in the Brecon Beacons - this route is about 6 miles from home :D
-Hopefully to be one of my first away nights on the bike...
Hmm, I recognise that landscape
You're a good way east of Pan-y-fan there, somewhere around grid sqaure SO 1415?

As others will testify, I like a good picture guessing game :)

Back on topic, I've got some Midges here in 25.4mm clamp you can have to try - or just have, they're in the way a bit ;)
jameso

Post by jameso »

Ah, I miss my Croix de Fer. Where my CX-whateveryoulike bike thing started.
Fen-yak

Post by Fen-yak »

Not far off Ian, but a great estimate! its SO 0814. It was taken by that lovely bit of concrete quarry road in the middle of nowhere at Cwar yr Ystrad. On the midge bar front I'll go and check the clamp size and get back to you Ian. Croix de fer is a great bike and takes me back to a time between 1986 and 1989 when my 'road' bike was more a go anywhere bike with a 50l berghaus on my back!
Fen-yak

Post by Fen-yak »

Thanks for the info Chris, I've got 330mm of flat on the current bar set up and 380mm between the hoods...
Ian

Post by Ian »

Fen-yak wrote:Not far off Ian, but a great estimate! its SO 0814.
Damn it, I nearly said somewhere near Trefil Quarry, but the hills looked a bit too distant :roll:
YetiTony

Post by YetiTony »

They are Ragley Luxy bars. Very comfy with plenty of positions for your hands.
Just fitted carbon rims and this has helped remove a lot of trail chatter. Great ride!
jameso

Post by jameso »

YetiTony wrote:They are Ragley Luxy bars. Very comfy with plenty of positions for your hands.
Thanks. And damn.. I was hoping they were something else, since Luxy's aren't about anymore.
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

Thanks. And damn.. I was hoping they were something else, since Luxy's aren't about anymore.
Some going cheap on ebay at the moment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ragley-luxy-m ... 4ac7d2773d
jameso

Post by jameso »

Current set up. 42C Contis are great on dry trails or rough roads. Midge bars are pretty good with an 80mm stem, got some woodchippers to try out next. The Day One's pretty short from bar to rear axle here and it's suprisingly easy to get off the back or get the front up. Fun. Still sends me over the bars more than any other bike I have though, damn CX bikes. Cut my chin open a few weeks ago..
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

jameso wrote:Image
Current set up. 42C Contis are great on dry trails or rough roads. Midge bars are pretty good with an 80mm stem, got some woodchippers to try out next. The Day One's pretty short from bar to rear axle here and it's suprisingly easy to get off the back or get the front up. Fun. Still sends me over the bars more than any other bike I have though, damn CX bikes. Cut my chin open a few weeks ago..
That looks great! :D
Now stick some gears to it and it will be amazing :P
Quick question, what is that small red rectangular bag in the left of the frame? Looks like it would be a very useful thing to keep my windproof in etc
ATB
Ben
jameso

Post by jameso »

Hi Ben, it's just an old profile tri bag, loads on ebay, Evans have too many.. etc. Like a gastank but small and mounted there to hold a toolkit. Gears? Pffft. I live in the South where gears are for shandy-drinking locals.
Morebikes

Post by Morebikes »

[urlImage
Cotic X by keithmorey1, on Flickr][/url]

I have just finished converting this Cotic X to discs, not managed any trips away on it since.
Sadly it has to go though. I have put it up on Singletrack for £850 delivered, but all quiet there so open to offers. It is a 56cm frame, rest of the spec available, pm if interested.

keith
nostoc

Post by nostoc »

My newest bike, not yet put into bikepacking mode. Noticeably heavier than my old Crosslight.
I have become a fan of discs on crossers having been sceptical - much better control particularly when using them from the hoods.
42c Conti tyres (measure 38) are an improvement on 34c but are still puncturing too much.I might experiment with tubeless but don't like the idea of low pressures.
Possibly will be used for BB200 but I don't think it would be ideal. Drop bars on the Mariachi would be a better but uglier option. These details usually get decided the night before.
jameso

Post by jameso »

ImageWP_20140804_003[1] by user-unrecognised-, on Flickr

Thread revival and potential wheel size controversy time.

650B road-tripper frame + fork arrived the other week. Built and ridden ~300 miles now. Bit of a handful with a load on the front on flinty trails (front pinch-flatted a road bike for the first time) but so comfy on poorly surfaced lanes and hardpack tracks. Did ~15hrs on it over 2 rides this weekend, av speed consistent with my 700c bike. Planning to get some charging system running in time to ride it to Lake Constance at the end of the month.
I like the wheels a lot - you get 38-42C volume with the same OD as a 700x23, the smaller dia rim means the rotational inertia is approx the same as a 700x25C wheel but with the advantages of 20mm internal width rims and 1.5" tyres that are really comfy and quick on the lanes at 35psi, or roll like a fast road tyre at 45-50psi on smooth tarmac (ie that stuff they have in Europe, not here..). So, more comfort, same speed, faster in places especially over longer rides. The wheels also keep the wheelbase short, it's only 15mm longer wheelbase than my usual road bike and shorter than a CX bike. Feels more road-like than a bike with 700x40 and guard clearances to me.
Edelux II is a huge improvement over torch-beam output lights, the even pattern and distance it throws light down the road is impressive.
(edit to add a minor PSA, SP PD-8s don't play well with TRP Spyre brakes - the Spyres are wide on the inside / hub side and the lever arm fouls the spokes. BB7-SLs it is then.)
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Mine, camera was steamed up. Kinesis Crosslight pro6, homemade framebag, revelate viscacha. Side loading bottle cages. Works great. Did 300 miles in a weekend, was perfect.