Newbie questions bike bags and routes

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rockbus

Newbie questions bike bags and routes

Post by Rockbus »

Hi all
I’ve just bought a boardman adv 8.9 gravel bike And really want to start some touring but could do with some advice, in particular re
Bags - set up and recommendations on decent but not too expensive ones
Camping kit - I have light tent and stove etc but what are other essentials - definitely need a lighter and decent sleeping bag so could do with recommendations on that in particular.
Routes/ trips to take - based in Leamington/Midlands

Any other advice/ tips you have for an absolute beginner
Cheers
Paul
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Newbie questions bike bags and routes

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What's your budget for a sleeping bag Paul and will you be using it year round?

Also, do have have an insulated mat? That's sometimes overlooked but is just (if not more so) as important as a bag with regarding to keeping warm.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Kit choice is personal and based on wallet and preference.
I have a summer bag ( used now when warm) a 3 season bag most of the year use and a sub zero bag for proper winter ( low level England style not the Highlands )

Bags I use bikepacking ones of acepac front ( bought from here )and wildcat rear ( or a Blackburn in. Winter for more volume )
You can get away with panniers if you have a rack but they encourage you to take to much stuff.

I have a basic podsac front roll you can have if you want - kids used it a few times it's ok in use but only £20 new

Essentials
Tent bag bed ...pretty much it the rest is up to you

Water carrying and a filter
Tools
Spares.
GPS
1st aid kit
Waterproofs

Doubt I ever go on a long trip without them
Food
MP3 player
Lights.
Jacket
Off bike clothes/ change of clothes
Chairs ( not me but some do)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

With handlebar and seat bags there are two basic ways of doing things: all in one where the bag and means of attaching it to the bike are all stitched together; harness and bag where the harness is attached to the bike then the bag is strapped in some way to that. Both have positives and negatives. I prefer the harness & bag set up, you can pack/unpack the bag away from the bike; if the bag is damaged you just replace it; you can use different sized bags depending on what you are taking. Against that there's no denying it is a more expensive way to go about things.

There are a lot of rebranded generic Chinese bikepacking bags about, it's fairly obvious when you look at photos of them. They all do the job. On One/PlanetX have a range that seems fairly well regarded, especially for the price. I've not used them so can't comment. Mid-range there's Ace-pac (Stu sells them, see the shop part of this site) and Alpkit. Then at the top end there are companies like Wildcat and Revelate.

While cyclists all obsess about the weight of kit, in bikepacking bulk (or lack of) is also important - if you've to fit everything in 20 litres then something's got to give and it's usually your wallet! :lol: Lightweight and compact kit isn't cheap. The other thing about higher end kit is that it does tend to be better quality and so lasts much better - a sleeping bag/quilt that costs £300 might seem expensive but when it's as good as new after 200 nights' use then it's not too bad even though it was an expensive initial outlay. That's not to say mid or cheaper end stuff won't last.

It also takes a while to hone what you personally actually need to take - on my first BB winter event I really struggled to get everything on the bike, a few years later and I'm looking at what else I can take along to fill up the bags. I haven't changed, just my perception of what's needed. For this: when you get home after a trip make three piles - one is the kit you used, the second is emergency kit (FA kit, tools, spares) that hopefully you didn't need but should take anyway, the third is stuff you didn't use. On your next trip don't take what was in that third pile.

General tips:
  • do your first trips close to home so if it all goes pear shaped you can easily bail out.
  • scope out potential bivy spots on day rides then you aren't worried about finding somewhere.
  • don't worry about making mistakes, you need to learn what works and what doesn't.
  • don't pack your fears.
  • enjoy yourself!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

What Stu said, over and above your initial list - a mat.

Personally I'd go for a nice one and sadly they tend to cost, or more specifically, cost a bit more than you might be expecting. There are multiple variations of Exped (my choice, though mostly out of habit rather than having personally compared to others), Thermarest and Sea 2 Summit.

I always go full length. 3/4 mats are the work of the devil and only for the chronically malnourished and undersized.

YMMV, HYOH etc etc :cool:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I always have a goo done and a pillow - nothing worse than a wet night shivering if you then have to ride for 100 miles - ok a head wind and rain during the ride is close

Thermarest and sea 2 summit are both very good as i have one of each but the Exped seem better value