OT - Trail cameras ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

OT - Trail cameras ?

Post by ootini »

Hi all. Id like to buy one of those trail cameras with motion detection, night vision etc to either plonk in the back yard somewhere, or possibly even in local woodland.
This is just a passing interest / curiosity, so would like to keep it under £100, less if possible.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks
Bearbonesnorm

Re: OT - Trail cameras ?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What you not need permission to place a camera in the woods? (I don't actually know BTW).
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I had a no name generic effort from Amazon for about £40 which was fine but eventually stopped working. I got a Browning one as a present which is much better made and better quality footage (and about twice the price) but... to save batteries it only records 20 second clips whereas the cheaper one would run for a couple of minutes if needed. The browning is presumably just to indicate animals are there in a remote spot you don't visit often, so you can go and shoot them later.
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

ootini wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:18 pm Hi all. Id like to buy one of those trail cameras with motion detection, night vision etc to either plonk in the back yard somewhere, or possibly even in local woodland.
This is just a passing interest / curiosity, so would like to keep it under £100, less if possible.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks
I've got one you can borrow to try out if you want. Unless you are spending big money, some of them are a bit hit and miss, it's worth seeing what the likely results will be before you shell out any cash.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Thanks for the input folks. I've just been informed that someone has purchased one for me as a gift, so we'll just see how it goes. Ty.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:28 pm What you not need permission to place a camera in the woods? (I don't actually know BTW).
Even further OT, not only do you need permission but you have to put up signs to warn people.

I once asked the local police why they didn't use trail cams to catch the illegal motorbikes riding round the local woods. They advised that if they put up cameras they have to put up notices to warn people in case they accidentally film, and I quote 'Locals canoodling in the woods' :lol: On top of that when the did try it, with a notice, someone stole the camera :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I think it's OK if your intention is to film the (literal and actual) wildlife. If I wasn't WFH I'd ask one of the ecologists.