I'd laugh but sometimes it also makes me wanna cry

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cheeky Monkey

I'd laugh but sometimes it also makes me wanna cry

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Registration plates and insurance for cyclists being considered by government – report

Whitehall review is also said to suggest cycling speed limits, along with licence penalty points and fines
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... -road-laws

:sigh:
RIP

Re: I'd laugh but sometimes it also makes me wanna cry

Post by RIP »

Just beat me to it! Daily Hatemail front page again. Classic deflection/misdirection technique. Same as "everything's the fault of those brown people in rowing boats". Look over there....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

It's never going to happen given the number of kids with bikes and just the usual hate from the usual Tory types who hate everything ( except the accumulation of wealth and straight white Christians )
As for speeding most cyclists do t have the legs for it even at 20 :wink:
I do have insurance though and consider it prudent YMMV on that one
faustus

Post by faustus »

Yeah, some dog whistle bullsh*t to appeal to their base, and to try and keep their job as transport minister with incoming PM. As ever, as soon as these pathetic 'ideas' meet the realities of cost benefit, implementation, and administration, they fall apart as they're entirely pointless except perhaps for continuing to fuel culture wars.

It still boils my p!ss a bit when I read it, as it's just another reminder of how regressive the politics of this country can be. Still, i'd happily join the band of merry bicycle Number Plate Martyrs, who's refusal to comply lands them a deportation to a country of cycling savages...like the Netherlands or Denmark.
RIP

Post by RIP »

"Of pedestrians injured in London in a collision caused by red light jumping only 4% involve cyclists, whereas 71% occur when a car driver jumps a red light and 13% when a motorcyclist does".

So as I said, misdirection/deflection. Curtain twitching brigade happy now so that's the main thing.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I agree quite probably the usual BS dog-whistle type stuff BUT you never know with these utter fucking idiots. Chuck around a few billion for duff PPE, ferry contracts to folks with no boats / experience etc etc. I thought Brexit was an impossibility and then look what happens :roll:

Hey ho :cool:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

RIP wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:29 am "Of pedestrians injured in London in a collision caused by red light jumping only 4% involve cyclists, whereas 71% occur when a car driver jumps a red light and 13% when a motorcyclist does".

So as I said, misdirection/deflection. Curtain twitching brigade happy now so that's the main thing.
Where's the other 12% please Reg? Dog ate it? :smile:
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

It's been touted before, and heartily rejected - but the gutter press either don't know this, or choose to ignore it, for the sake of the headline
slarge

Post by slarge »

Even if it fails, the very fact that the scurge of Fleet Street want to write this crap is a sad reflection on todays society. It breeds hatred, and it telling the frothing gammons that its OK to hate. That's what boils my piss.

I make sure I am super nice in coffee stops, etc to try to offset the "look over there - all cyclists are bastards" mentality
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

TBH, from subsequent coverage, it appears to be Grant Shapps being an absolute fuckwit. He seems to be contradicting the findings and conclusions of his own (current?) department within the last 12 months. To paraphrase, they though it was a dumb idea of the type only an idiot would pursue - aaahhhhhh. I see the problem.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I want to see Shapps do 20mph on a bike for anything more than 5 seconds and not downhill. He thinks cyclists do this "easily"

I'm afraid the problem is that this is a massive vote winner. In our current society you guys and girls really are not welcome. Anywhere. Not on the road, the pavement, in the countryside and pretty soon the velodrome after the commonwealth games accidents. A referendum to get rid of you would succeed. And I really don't think I'm exaggerating. You should all get back to France where you belong and take some Albanians with you.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
RIP

Post by RIP »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:11 pm
RIP wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:29 am "Of pedestrians injured in London in a collision caused by red light jumping only 4% involve cyclists, whereas 71% occur when a car driver jumps a red light and 13% when a motorcyclist does".

Where's the other 12% please Reg? Dog ate it? :smile:
Well spotted that man!

RIP

Post by RIP »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:20 pm Grant Shapps being an absolute fuckwit.
Well I did point out that fact last week for some other reason but everybody shouted at me :grin:.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Maybe some nice 'Cycling Scum' T shirts me thinks :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Apparently Shapps said this in The Times:

Daily Heil skewing facts for clickbait? Surely not...
ton

Post by ton »

i am quite suprised that anyone takes note of such utter shyte.
seriously who reads this bollox.
and even if the brought this in...... along with making wearing a helmet legal, how the feck are they going to implement such shyte.
it is impossible. are they gonna have cycles bobbies stood on trails and bike paths stopping people.

stop worrying about total bollox what is never gonna happen.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ton wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:29 pm i am quite suprised that anyone takes note of such utter shyte.
seriously who reads this bollox.
and even if the brought this in...... along with making wearing a helmet legal, how the feck are they going to implement such shyte.
it is impossible. are they gonna have cycles bobbies stood on trails and bike paths stopping people.

stop worrying about total bollox what is never gonna happen.
Tony for prime minister/health secretary and transport secretary before that. Well said Ton :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I tend to agree Tony. Tomorrow it'll be fish requiring life jackets or something equally meaningless. None of these measures could be enforced but Steve's right that it does fire up the anti-cycling idiots, most of whose children or grand children will own a pushbike. :roll:
May the bridges you burn light your way
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Would it be 1 registration plate for each bike?
Even that clunker in the corner of the shed that comes out once a year to blow the tyres up?
Or one reg plate to use on all of you bikes?
Are they only registered if using on road?
What about if your route never goes on a public highway?
Where do you put your ref plate if you don't have mud guards on your back wheel?
And who will police it? The police can't even zolvr the most basic of crimes now and don't even attend some crimes now anyway.

Mad as a box of frogs the lot of them
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

What you have to remember is that like all good politicians, all he is doing is voicing the 'concerns' of his constituents. So he will have been approached by a deputation of daily express readers demanding cyclists are made to register bikes, abide by speed limits etc. and he says, in order to win their votes "leave it with me, I'll see to it" whereupon he raises it in parliament, the press pick up on anything negative about cyclists and you get this stuff going on. Unfortunately, the cycling press and campaign groups pick up on it too and the next thing you know, something that was raised by a small number of people is all over the place. He knows there is no chance of it ever happening but he doesn't care. All he cares about is the publicity and being able to go back to his constituents to say he tried but those b*stard tree hugging hippies beat him down but next time....

Things like registering bikes and insuring them / making them abide by speed limits etc. etc. keeps coming back as a demand but there is absolutely no chance whatsoever that it will ever happen. People may doubt that and I've heard the "just you wait - it will be here before you know it" comments but it's true. Why? - Making registration of bikes a law, or implementing a whole raft of measures under the construction and use regulations to be able to make cyclists abide by speed limits would cost a vast amount of money to implement, administer and enforce, way more than what you could charge for it. You can only justify that if there is a good reason i.e. casualty reduction, reducing theft (of bicycles) or reducing something else that is costing the country lots of money. Theft aside (and it's doubtful if registration would have any impact on reducing bicycle theft) none of those things are a problem that will be solved by making cyclists have insurance, abide by speed limits or display a registration plate.

Finally there a lot more people in the country who would be against such a thing than for it (and a larger number who don't care) so ultimately it would lose votes not gain them....

Don't panic folks it aint gonna happen.
RIP

Post by RIP »

I don't think we're flapping about it, just amusing ourselves as usual with the madness of the Normals :smile: .

Next! :smile:

macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Shame it's all absolute lobbocks. I was intent on becoming an outlaw bikepacker.
They'd never take me alive!