Between now and January?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Verena

Re: Between now and January?

Post by Verena »

psling wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:48 pm You have the town of Brecon Shaf which is within the Brecon Beacons National Park. The BBNP consists of the Black Mountain in the West, the Brecon Beacons in the centre and the Black Mountains to the East. The BBNP also covers the waterfall country of Ystradfellte to the South West and the Blorenge near Abergavenny.
So, one town of Brecon and one National Park.
And the Queen of the BB is our very own Verena who lives in the middle of it all :cool: Oh, and JackT who lives at the Eastern end, and probably other BBers living there too. Me, I'm about a 1 hour ride away.
Shaf, if you want any route ideas, good places to eat, park car etc., just ask, there's a few on here who know the area well :cool:
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Doing part of the KAW with a friend ( can't seem to find space in the calendar to do the whole lot, until next year)

Getting on with expanding my Veloviewer square from 34 to 40 (been a bit slack on this, but a self imposed deadline of the end of the year is beconing)

Actually going on some bivi rides (just overnighters, but see above comment, regarding time constraints)

Doing a dogpacking overnighter, that I've been trying to do for ages (waiting for the schools to go back, for that one, as I'll be staying at a campsite with a cafe/bar)
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

boxelder wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:30 am Also need to get son off to and settled at Uni....
O yeah, me too! Let's see how results Thursday goes.....
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Verena

Post by Verena »

September, week in the Pyrenees, road cycling and walking.
October, a nice BAM, maybe try for a bothy or a churchyard somewhere...
November, Real Ale Wobble.
December, winter bivvy at Trefil and Chartists Cave with a few from here.
Keep BAMs going, plus a few more nights out in between I hope.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

psling wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:48 pm You have the town of Brecon Shaf which is within the Brecon Beacons National Park. The BBNP consists of the Black Mountain in the West, the Brecon Beacons in the centre and the Black Mountains to the East. The BBNP also covers the waterfall country of Ystradfellte to the South West and the Blorenge near Abergavenny.
So, one town of Brecon and one National Park.
And the Queen of the BB is our very own Verena who lives in the middle of it all :cool: Oh, and JackT who lives at the Eastern end, and probably other BBers living there too. Me, I'm about a 1 hour ride away.
Shaf, if you want any route ideas, good places to eat, park car etc., just ask, there's a few on here who know the area well :cool:
Thanks Verena. It was your packraft trip that also got me thinking about it more... I think the 2020 edition of the bb200 was up through the Brecons (beacons?) but I scratched early (Offas Dyke bing part of the Beacons?).

Parking spots would be amazing though I think I found one but a bit remote...
Verena

Post by Verena »

PM me as needed Shaf :)

Yes the 2020 BB200 route is still there on my list of trips I'd like ot do one day...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thanks very much indeed Verena/V... :-bd
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I'm taking on some full-time work for 3, possibly 6, months from October, so I'm trying to cram things in before then.

First priority is finishing the Wainwrights, of which I have about 90 to do. I don't need to finish all of them, just close enough that I can do the odd weekend in the autumn and then plan a finishing party, probably around my birthday in early December. I'm mostly running them, but if I can involve the bike I will - might make Skiddaw less tedious.

Been discussing a packrafting trip with JohnClimber for September, which will hopefully involve some Wainwrights too. Will be nice to do some more paddling once the weather turns wetter.

Must plan a trip to see a friend in Oslo too.
ton wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:06 pm doing the Sandstone way, and some more stuff towards alston. 1st week in september. a boozy trip.
Let me know if you need any advice, I've done it a couple of times being local. Access through the forest at Simonside is an issue at the moment - last time I was up there they were doing forestry work and it was fenced off - for one. You going south or north?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I'm hopefully beginning work on another cycling route guide book if I can agree terms. I'm also riding with a group of novices from Brixham down to Mevagissey which for them is a ride of epic proportions. Really looking forward to it.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Polisherman

Post by Polisherman »

Get my knee sorted, so I can limp around the Calder trail in September and the BB300 (more likely the 200, the way things are going)
Boab

Post by Boab »

Was planning on doing the The North and South Downs Escapade, but as that costs money and I'm a cheapskate, I'll probably do a variation on the The East Anglian Way. Having said that, I notice that my wife have shoveled something into the calendar which means she could be in Eastbourne, if she is, then I could get a lift home and have a pop at that Peddars Way, Icknield Way, Ridgeway, KAW, South Downs Way mashup I'd been thinking about; would prolly require a couple of days off work though. Then there's the BB200. After that, no idea, got to get over this stinking cold I picked up ziplineing in a rain forest...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Not much as another grey cloud of crap health has been hanging over me and limiting activity.

But, I have decided to go to GrAviemore in September with the idea I can just do as much or little as I want and if nothing else hang out in the tent for the weekend and be a bit sociable.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Calder Divide September
BB200 October
Another Return of the Mach which is day 2 & 3 of Flattyres route of the website pretty good ride to home from Mach
Still yet to ride the Triban Trail seems its up road from me starting in the Clwyds, but will get it done sometime soon either in one go or an overnighter.
BAM'd from May but still need to do August :roll: so poor at this :lol: but I'll keep going till I can't I guess :-bd
Last edited by Leerowe76 on Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Doing a 3 day (no bikes) Lake Disctrict, hill walking, Wainwright bagging, wild camping and pack rafting trip the middle of September with several others some of whom are on here :-bd
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I had planned to return to Spain next week and walk the Camino San Salvador, but after a fantastic ride along the Ridgeway a couple of weeks ago, I'm going to take advantage of the current drought conditions in England and attempt King Alfred's Way instead. I say attempt because it's been a very busy year and I haven't done a bike ride longer than 25 miles since last summer, or any overnighters in the same time.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Teaman

Post by Teaman »

Having recently done a couple of MTB day rides on the Isle of Wight, I hope to get over there for a few days bikepacking in Oct. Can't remember who it was on here that recommended the following site (big thank you :-) ) but was blown away with the beauty of it:
https://www.lifeinthesaddle.cc/2019/09/ ... wight.html It's an added bonus that it's so local to me too.

Am taking the bike out with us when we depart soon for a short break in the Swiss Normandy area but just exploring a bit when I get the chance to nip out.

All being well, I am also hoping to head over to Spain in October for at least a couple of weeks but possibly longer. So many nice routes to explore and just need to work out which ones to go for. The Alravesur looks great but one heck of a lot of climbing and I never travel light :-( Thanks to Duncan/Pistonbroke who is willing to assist with advice :-)