Between now and January?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Between now and January?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Interested to know what (if anything) people have planned for the remainder of the year. Anything, nothing or just see what happens?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Re: Between now and January?

Post by Lazarus »

august YD 300- more as a tour so 3 x 100km days as i dont want to rush it as not really ridden there much [ despite the closeness]
Sept Lakeland 100 - hopefully done in a day
Oct - Jan no idea not made any plans - not lose my fitness and some serious SS mileage off road probably and banging out a monthly road [imperia;] century ride to keep up the fitness
Keep up with BAM - took me to July to be able to deal with weight on the bars so done one a month since then p well technically its about 12 but I am able to do it comfortably after the injury ; did one in January but was not up to the weight on bars or air bed sleeping
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I’ve got a 70+ mile hike along the Jurassic coast in September over 4 days - I swear my mate is paying me back for making him go cycling. Cycling wise I’m just hoping to get some regular miles in the legs again.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Train really hard for the BB300, do the BB300, recover from the BB300...
Well something like that anyway. Also Bams without flying insects, some early season snow and re-acquaint myself with riding in mud.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

A few things hopefully
  • I've tried to do the Haute Route (Chamonix to Zermatt) twice and failed both times. Hoping for third time lucky some time in Sept.
  • Calder Divide in Sept too if the dates work
  • BB300
  • Holy Land Challenge in Nov
ton

Post by ton »

doing the Sandstone way, and some more stuff towards alston. 1st week in september. a boozy trip.
heading to holland for a week with the wife, for a week end of september.
doing the calder divide with a couple of mates after failing at midpoint a few weeks ago. we are not carrying any stuff. staying in a yoho.
planning on a lakes or dales winter yoho trip. either before or between xmas and new year.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Off to the Howgills / N Pennines walking with a friend on Friday for 4 days.

Wild Boar in Belgium, September if Tom's passport ever turns up.

3 Peaks Cyclo-cross also in Sept.

Was hoping to fit in the Tiso 500, we'll have to see....
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Complete my second BAM hopefully of which I'm now in month 4 or 5. All been broad daylight bivvies - though I have slept - so not sure if I'd qualify for a badge as the rules do stipulate 'a night out'.

The BB200 and try not to come last. If I get this training lark sorted I might even get a black badge (of which I'm still certain I'll make it :smile: ).

In December the highlight of my year which is riding the Aafia Siddiqui Way again and keep her beig spoken about so the (disgusting IMO) people that are still keeping her detained might have enough humiliation to allow her family to even speak with her. Am sure she'll be freed and sent back home soon enough but just gonna keep doing my bit until that day comes (sorry, just went off on a tangent). Anyway, it's 240 miles from Dewsbury to East London and anyone is welcome. We can start together and am sure you'll enjoy it. No limits on time but it is middle of December and I did try to keep resupply stops to a minimal on that route.

The biggest dilemma I'm having is arranging the Khalid Bin Waleed Challenge (charity challenge similar to the Ra&ha Manchester2London - but instead of the amazing charity they fundraise for we're always fundraising for the orphan kids and everyone has a compulsory target of £750 to reach). It's 220ish miles with around 13000ft climbing in 24 hours. Start from point A and end at point B. I usually make it a new route each 2 years and add a bit of gravel in there to hopefully inflict the joys of trails on these unsuspecting roadies.

Sorry it's becoming an essay. So the reason why it's a dilemma is that I've yet to get anyone in all them 5 years or so to actually properly join a bikepacking challenge. Plus I reckon fundraising might be a little harder this time round (aiming for 2023 if it goes ahead and I actually go and recce my route as well as do the rest of the groundwork) and I don't think I can be bothered chasing up riders to ensure they're getting the words out there. Soz again for sharing my little problem :lol:

Other than that, and probably another reason why I'm not too keen on it, I think I've finally gone off the road bike as 40 mile commutes to work are no longer required. Did try to arrnage some other bigger commutes to places like Nott and Goole but shifts aren't as forthcoming as I'd hoped. Been missing going out on the mtb but hopefully the next year or so I'm gonna aim for another bikepacking challenge to add to the BB200. Maybe a Dales Divide or similar...
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Iceland, for a week of landscape photography

Goldilocks

HT550 ITT

Weather and back pain permitting 😂
slarge

Post by slarge »

I have a weekend in Sept in Yorkshire with the road club
Then BB200 or 300 in Oct (but might have to transfer to the Nov one)
1st aid course in Oct
Keep BAMing
Not much else....
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Got nothing planned. Well, complete BAM and HAM....Hotel a month :lol: it's a tad more expensive than BAM but the Mrs enjoys it and it's nice to visit different places.
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Hopefully.... Jennride No.2, a few days around Lomond/Trossachs/Argyll in Sept and my first BB200 in Nov. Have 60+ Wainwrights to wander over - though can't see them being done now within my self-imposed year. Ho hum. Also need to get son off to and settled at Uni somewhere.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Jennride pt.2 - Hopefully in one hit
Calder Divide - Hopefully in one hit
BB300 - Hopefully in one hit

Continue the monthly Audaxing for a Randonneur Round the Year award, and included a hilly 400km to achieve a AAA Super Randonneur award.
Continue the BaM streak

I'd quite like to top 10k miles and 1m ft altitude gain again this year but I'm slacking a bit.

Also, build a cabin/shed from as much upcycled/recycled materials as possible...
robsmuddygloves

Post by robsmuddygloves »

I'm off to the peaks next week for a couple of nights of pootling and bivvying. I've been really enjoying trying to find some suitable overnighter spots near me, in the barren fens, think I've found a few potential spots that I want to try during September. Mostly though, I'll be getting more miles in my legs.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Need to dramatically increase ride volume to have any hope of doing the BB200 in Oct. Coming out of nearly 2 weeks off the bike due to covid and sickness.

So, BB200, eastern bit of ridgeway to Ivinghoe Beacon and back, riding in Dorset, nice overnighter in New forest. And some walking would be nice, want a day off to pootle up the Skirrid.
psling

Post by psling »

"Just see what happens" :cool:

I'm currently house-sitting for some friends until the end of the month, looking after their 1.5 acre garden and menagerie so no getting away from that! Usually get away for a week in September with the bikes and boots but not made any plans where yet. Nothing else lined up, just see what comes up, where my fancy takes me.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

Hopefully doing a week long tour of Wales at the beginning of October. No idea what our route will be yet but I'm keen to see Pembrokeshire and Snowdonia.
1st running marathon on the South Downs at the end of October plus we're putting on a cx race the week before.
BB200 in Nov (gulp!)
redefined_cycles

Oh... and Pembrokeshire. There's a shift that regularly comes up near there but the the journey is almost 5 hours from me to there. But hoping to try and book it at some point and then go exploring the Brecon Beacons and/or Pembrokeshire... Wonder which is prettirr and better mtb to be had :???:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Wonder which is prettirr and better mtb to be had :???:
Very little for the MTB in Pembrokeshire Shaf, although the Preseli Hills are worth exploring (really it's one hill a bit like Long Mynd).
redefined_cycles

Brecons it'd have to be then. Ta :smile:
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Nothing really planned.

Only cycle related event I am considering is the Nov edition of the BB200. I still feel like I have unfinished business...

Just need to find the motivation...

Si
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Brecons it'd have to be then. Ta :smile:
Beacons Shaf - there's only one Brecon.
redefined_cycles

Goes off to do some googling and comes back confused... Then stands down :smile:

If anyone explained then that be ace :grin:
redefined_cycles

Aha... you mean we are supposed to refer to it as Beacons.. Like Chapel en le Frith is simply 'Chapel'... :geek: :grin:
psling

Post by psling »

You have the town of Brecon Shaf which is within the Brecon Beacons National Park. The BBNP consists of the Black Mountain in the West, the Brecon Beacons in the centre and the Black Mountains to the East. The BBNP also covers the waterfall country of Ystradfellte to the South West and the Blorenge near Abergavenny.
So, one town of Brecon and one National Park.
And the Queen of the BB is our very own Verena who lives in the middle of it all :cool: Oh, and JackT who lives at the Eastern end, and probably other BBers living there too. Me, I'm about a 1 hour ride away.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.