Cargo trailer info required

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Martin B

Cargo trailer info required

Post by Martin B »

Hi,
Looking for info and reccomendations on cargo trailers. Next year i'm initially planning some family cycling trips, probably staying mainly in Youth Hostels etc. As my son gets a bit older i can see him joining my daughter and I on our bikepacking adventures but i think my current bikepacking kit setup can't accomodate yet another little persons kit (it's probably not a huge amount extra but enough to make it impossible to pack/carry)

Was thinking of a single wheel inline cargo trailer mounted off the rear axle. My MTB is 27.5" + wheels on a Thru axle and i'd quite like to use the trailer for some local shopping trips as well or in a few years a tour of the Netherlands, in which case it'll need to go on a QR axle on 700c rims

Anything out there that can fit both Thru axle and QR? Or what would i need to do to get one to fit both?

Thanks
Marty
ton

Re: Cargo trailer info required

Post by ton »

dont know if it would fit, but a Bob Yak would be my choice.

a mate off STW is currently mid tour in france. he is using one fitted by qr to the rear of his rohloffed bike.
i rode with him in engleand a few weeks ago, on some offroad stuff, and i was impressed by the bob yak.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Had a BOB and they’re ok/good

They’re heavy but they don’t really ride heavy except on descents when it feels like it’s pushing you a little and I used to descend slower with the BOB than any other setup. Riding on flat or uphill and they’re ok (sit down pedalling works best) and through sweeping bends, but I couldn’t gel with mind on singletrack.

Main drawback for me we’re using it with trains ( :roll: ) and getting over pedestrian bridges or going through a busy town/pedestrian crossings etc

Flip side as mentioned, once you get them rolling, they’re fine to ride with :-bd

They can carry quite a large amount of kit too, think about 60l or so
Martin B

Post by Martin B »

I've seen the BOB yak trailers. Look good but on the pricey side for my budget and not many coming up 2nd hand, and if they are, they're the 26" version and i'd then have to fork out for the larger yoke to fit 27.5+.

Some goods deals on the Topeak journey trailer at the mo. But again would need to buy a 2nd yoke to solve the QR/Thru axle fit issue.

I've got a Burley kids trailer for the wee one at the mo. I'm use to the extra weight, handling issues and birning brake pads on long steep descents. Just need to remember and pick the right route.I'm not planning on goong any where to rough with the family.... just yet :grin:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I have an Extra Wheel trailer and it works pretty well - would be ideal for your purpose I think. Mine just fits a QR. QR end caps for your particular thru axle hub might be an easier way to make it compatible?

I don't use mine that much. If you happen to be in NE England, I'd entertain an offer.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bikepacking.com did a piece on cargo trailers. Might be worth a read. Can’t remember how long ago it was but should be easy to search for.

Ultimately: small market = small production runs = high prices :| just the way it goes. Not sure if there are any relevant standards for bike trailers- Jameso or Steven Shand would be better placed to answer that
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
rivers

Post by rivers »

Martin B wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:45 pm I've seen the BOB yak trailers. Look good but on the pricey side for my budget and not many coming up 2nd hand, and if they are, they're the 26" version and i'd then have to fork out for the larger yoke to fit 27.5+.

Some goods deals on the Topeak journey trailer at the mo. But again would need to buy a 2nd yoke to solve the QR/Thru axle fit issue.

I've got a Burley kids trailer for the wee one at the mo. I'm use to the extra weight, handling issues and birning brake pads on long steep descents. Just need to remember and pick the right route.I'm not planning on goong any where to rough with the family.... just yet :grin:
Some of the burley trailers allow you to take the seats out and use it as a cargo trailer.
Martin B

Post by Martin B »

whitestone wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:21 am Bikepacking.com did a piece on cargo trailers. Might be worth a read. Can’t remember how long ago it was but should be easy to search for.
I read that piece the other night at work. Quite informative. Essentially, as i want to use a single wheel trailer on a thru axle and a QR i need to buy a trailer and buy a seperate yoke to attach to the other bike. It's a long term investment so price wasn't a huge issue but the BOB yak/ibex cost is pretty steep.
Martin B

Post by Martin B »

rivers wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:40 am Some of the burley trailers allow you to take the seats out and use it as a cargo trailer.
Unfortunately the current Burley trailer is moving on to the brother in law early next year. It is a huge space to get stuff in. Had to pick the kids up from the in-laws a few days ago and i chicked my daughter's 20" bike in no probs with the front wheel off.

As it'll be moving on i'm just scouting out what suits available and how it will fit my needs in the future with soon to be 2 kid bikepacking trips and daily/weekly shopping trips etc
RIP

Post by RIP »

thenorthwind wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:42 am I have an Extra Wheel trailer and it works pretty well - would be ideal for your purpose I think. Mine just fits a QR. QR end caps for your particular thru axle hub might be an easier way to make it compatible?

Yep superb bit of gear - much better/lighter than Bob Yak.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
anagallis_arvensis

Post by anagallis_arvensis »

I've done a few trips with my son using a very old Edinburgh Bicycles knick off of a Bob. It's ideal for the job but it does mean I have to ride my old 90's pub/commute Kona as it needs 26inch wheels with quick release.Image