Tread Postively Thread - Bike-Litter-Packing Rides/Runs!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Tread Postively Thread - Bike-Litter-Packing Rides/Runs!

Post by redefined_cycles »

For more info and to share thoughts on how we can do this collectively, better. Then pop your thoughts and ideas on here (link to be added). Anyoje that has not a clue what I'm talking about, its a clean up thread. Mainly focused at the national parks. I'll probably focus on the Peaks but whatever.

Feel free to add your rides, runs, walks and whatever little or large you did to make up for some idiots that had been there before. Pennies make pounds remember and it does all have an inpact and make a difference. No pressure at all and every run/ride/walk shared is most appreciated

I'll start (if that's ok)...
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
redefined_cycles

Re: Tread Postively Thread - Leaving the national parks neater than how we found them

I went up to this gorgeous place. Somewhere between Hollingworth Lake and Hebden.

Interesting seeing the structure of the roads that support out motorways -from beneath.

Somewhere around here I met a lovely walker named Gary. We discussed ideas on how to keep thwse beautiful places clean and eventually he joined our club. Said he'll try to take more rubbish home than what he came out on the walk with. We agreed that it could be anything small or large. But mainly that collectively we are all doing something. I'd put down me talking to him under education too as I helped clarify why bins are not good in such AONB and that rubbish is best taken home. Or else they overfill em and we end up leaving the onus (is that the word?) on others.

Had taken out a carrier bag with me in my backpack. But I plan ti grab some of the CoOp bags as they're compostable - though a bit weaker in return. Yesterday I saw this mask left in front of a farmers gate. That was pre shift. But having the discussion with 'y'all' helped and I decided I'd start straight away.

So... This time I picked it up. Also examined another piece of trash that was a paper plane. As soon as I realsied it was just paper I left it there (sorry to offend anyone).

I've also got the mindset now that during the BB200 I'll be trying to collect at least one or tow items. Last year I left some idiots (sorry whoever that idiots was) freshly downed Coke bittle as well as a freshly thrown gel pack. But, the whole point of going to Wales is for the views and less so to win any races. So I'm going backwards if I don't at least pick an item or two on the BB.

:-bd thanks for listening. Looking forward to what others can/do do...
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Tread Postively Thread - Leaving the national parks neater than how we found them

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just a point of order Shaf ... it's not only NP where people can't behave themselves. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:20 pm Just a point of order Shaf ... it's not only NP where people can't behave themselves. :wink:
Yes... indeed that is true. I should and will remove that bit thans Stu...
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Shaf I pick up litter everywhere when I can. And challenge those who drop it. It’s not just a countryside issue, why should people who live in inner cities not have the right to clean streets. My neighbour Pam never leaves her house without a bag to put litter in. There are many others like her who quietly get on with it. Our local beaches are kept spotless by people like Pam. It needs to be seen as a civic duty that is enacted regardless of the location.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
redefined_cycles

Dave Barter wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:29 pm Shaf I pick up litter everywhere when I can. And challenge those who drop it. It’s not just a countryside issue, why should people who live in inner cities not have the right to clean streets. My neighbour Pam never leaves her house without a bag to put litter in. There are many others like her who quietly get on with it. Our local beaches are kept spotless by people like Pam. It needs to be seen as a civic duty that is enacted regardless of the location.
Yes. Very very good point and indeed I do locally. Just don't bother picking up after others when in the hills/mountains which is what I'm hoping to try and get done (similar to how Pam and Co keep your beaches spotless - well done you all :-bd ). Usually walking home or locally I always just pick one or two pieces of litter up and find a bin but... anyway, yes I get your point Dave and hopefully you get mine :grin:

I'm gonna try and go back to that spot at Wessenden once bike/time allows and get that litter sorted :smile:
slarge

Post by slarge »

I litter pick our lanes. Every 3 months I get a bin bag full, but it's odd as I never see anyone drop it.

If everyone picked up 1 piece every time they went out the whole country would be clean!
redefined_cycles

Re: Tread Postively Thread - The Clean Up Rides

I might have already said it or it might already have been said (sp, sorry if it's a repeat). But the background to this theead is here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22275

The whole point of the thread (this currebt one in which I'm writing) is to hopefully do a little more ourselves (I know most clean up locally already, be it little or large amounts) especially when out on the trails/where bins are in short supply.

I'm hoping by one person writing about their 'todays ride/run in which cleaning up like so (enter info here) was done' it might give others inspiration and encouragement. So for example, from Dave mentioning Pam and their local clean beaches. I'd already been thinking about taking care of ensuring my end of The Peaks was kept cleaning up at Wessy but now that thought has hopefully been reinforced.

What Steve said about 1 piece of litter is also so true. So for example I was gonna suggest everyone aims for 3 or 5 pieces of litter per ride/run. But then that might have discouraged those that only have the willingness to pick one piece of someone elses litter per month. That's ok too and hopefully they'll report back on their ride etc... But by not setting any targets everyone hopefull does more or less...

Bottom line, do something (please) and make a conviction (to yourself) and tell us and friends/family about it. Education is key like James said...

Lastly, suggestions and comments here please viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22275

With rides and runs going on this current thread. Hope that doesn't sound 'a bit off' :smile:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

There's a lot of words for a simple idea of just picking up some trash, no offence intended.

Sometimes it's a good thing to lend your time and enthusiasm to a bigger or wider-reaching group. I'd talk to Trash-Free-Trails and try to use them and their infrastructure / orgnaisation / resources etc etc, but that's me.

My attitude flip-flops about picking up other peoples trash. I tend to sort the incongruous stuff but I'm not their dad and don't need or want to regularly clear up other people's sh1t. At least that's how I sometimes feel. But I gravitate back to the mindset that if I don't take it then it'll be there for donkey's so usually just grin and bear it. Mleh :|

I also don't tend to worry about who or when it was dropped. Not sure why you are Shaf? Some will be deliberate, others will be accidental. Some might be riders but not necessarily. Unless you see someone throw it does it benefit anything to speculate, possibly wildly. IMO it's just rubbish, sort it or don't. If you do, bueno. If not, de nada.

HYOH, P&L etc :cool:
redefined_cycles

There's a lot of words for a simple idea of just picking up some trash, no offence intended.
Thanks for your comments. But maybe you didn't need to waste your words and spent time on more productive stuff :grin:
HYOH, P&L etc :cool:
I didn't get all that but I assumed it's something positive :-bd
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Hang Your Own Hang (ad lib'd by hammockers from walkers who use Hike Your Own Hike) plus Peace and Love.

I tend to use them in case anyone might get tetchy about something I might have said. Although I strive to be as inoffensive as possible at most times :cool:
redefined_cycles

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:48 pm Hang Your Own Hang (ad lib'd by hammockers from walkers who use Hike Your Own Hike) plus Peace and Love.

I tend to use them in case anyone might get tetchy about something I might have said. Although I strive to be as inoffensive as possible at most times :cool:
Lol. I thought and knew it was summat positive... and (for reference) I do get your point about
'it's litter pick it or leave it, whatever
For me it's about understanding how/when/why it was dropped and hopefully combat it more economically (ie. our own time/effort).
Sometimes it's a good thing to lend your time and enthusiasm to a bigger or wider-reaching group. I'd talk to Trash-Free-Trails and try to use them and their infrastructure / orgnaisation / resour
Good point there but (without sounding lazy), don't actually have time for that. If we can get one more person picking up the litter but without putting too much effort in ourselves. That's economy (IMO) :smile:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I've wrestled with this issue for years. I've confronted people dropping litter who genuinely thought it was someones job to pick it up and therefore they would be doing them out of a job if they didn't drop it. I've suggested that dropping litter shows no respect for your country and had people come back all aggressive and I've met people who just don't see it as a problem as it's always gone when they next pass by....

There is good evidence to suggest that if you get litter picked up, littering becomes less but on the flip side you encourage the above...

Anyway, lots of people doing a bit of good will cumulatively do a lot of good so I guess we just have to all do our bit, whether thats picking up litter, having a chat with people dropping it (like what Jeff did) as well as never dropping it ourselves.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Difficult to drop litter if you've had your hands cut off ..... just sayin' :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

I've wrestled with this issue for years.
Me too Phil. Always go away from the local tip-shits (mind my language.. council don't help by increasing rates or not allowing certain domestic items at the tips so people instead go and find a decent park to dump it at) to enjoy the litter free hills and that. Wessenden has always been relatively clean with maybe a piece of litter having come from the road but never seen more than one or two.

This weeks walk to there prompted me to do something a little more (hopefully). Maybe - from what Dave mentioned about one of his neighbours, Pam - once in a while we (as in whomsoever feels it appropriate and helpful) could all do a Pam. She/they are proud that their actions keep the local beach/beaches pristine.

I'm going with my road bike and the Revelate Spinelock hopefully at some point and collecting some of that crap from Wessy. Hopefully there'll not be much and at the same time the added bonus is me beaing out there enjoying it (HAB obviously across the BW with the 28mm road thingie).

If I never said it already, thansk everyone for you input and incoming/upcoming actions (bike or run related hopefully... but cars are also welcome though not advised as it's not then bikelitterpacking).

Bike-litter-packing. Could that work as a term :lol:
redefined_cycles

Difficult to drop litter if you've had your hands cut off ..... just sayin' :wink:
Bit of an over reaction Stu :lol: Hope we/they never meet you on jury duty (if it ever makes it that far).