Fitting a Carradice bag to my bars ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

Fitting a Carradice bag to my bars ?

Post by ton »

I have a carrdice barley bag. I no longer have a Brooks saddle to fit it to.

Is there a way to fit a Carradale bag to my handlebars?

Seem to think I have sent it done.

Anyone ?
PaulB2

Re: Fitting a Carradice bag to my bars ?

Post by PaulB2 »

I’ve seen someone just use micro voile straps to attach to the bars with a bit of elastic cord around the head tube for a bit more stability. It sagged a bit but if you’re giant and riding a rigid that probably won’t be an issue
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I've got a Zip Roll which I sometime attach to the handlebars. I use a couple of those nylon straps that came with a rucsac for attching stuff (e.g. crampons / trekking poles). They do the job. Similar sort of strap for attaching the seatpost strap to the headtube, but in this case I've spaced it out with either a bit of pu pipe lagging or a bit of pu packing material. All works well even on fairly rutted and bumpy bridleway type terrain.

Edit to add: I'm a real shorty and i think anything bigger than a zip roll would foul the fron tyre, even then I cut up a bit of a cheap plastic place mat to add a bit of shape to the bottom of the zip roll. usually carries the tool kit and spares, small flask (or stove and pot) and lunch and maybe a lightweight windproof/waterproof top and phone.
jameso

Post by jameso »

^ Same here, a Carradice zip roll on the bars of my road bike, uses the same straps as are meant for the saddle loops and just loops them round the bar to buckle up inside the bag.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I successfully attached my camper longflap to the bars of the Jones just using the leather straps. Was a bit wobbly and I've not actually used it in anger but I do keep meaning to have a go as it get's you down with the Bikepaking.com kids :grin:
Al

Post by Al »

ton wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:07 am I have a carrdice barley bag. I no longer have a Brooks saddle to fit it to.

Is there a way to fit a Carradale bag to my handlebars?

Seem to think I have sent it done.

Anyone ?
Have you got any fork braze ons to play with Tony? I made this and it works brilliantly (Could achieve the same with p-clips easily enough I’d have thought).
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19391
ton

Post by ton »

Al, that would work. i have got braze ons to use.

i was gonna buy a rear rack for the fargo, but i am loathe to spend over £100 for a pannier rack.
Al

Post by Al »

I had to sew a couple of loops on to the underside of the bag.
Cross bar was a bit of old walking pole. Then some spare rack struts (maybe tortec ones I think) and a couple of p clips to attach it all together. Think I spent about £13ish for the rack parts.

Watch the YouTube clip on the linked thread and it will all make sense.
Filetagebelge

Post by Filetagebelge »

'Ello,

I used these: https://www.bike-components.de/en/tubus ... ck-p38568/ to build a front support for a Carradice bag, together with some bits of an old Pletscher rack I cut up. It was a bit simpler than the setup in the video. It has also been pretty solid so far.

I also added extra daisy chain loops under the bag. That way I can run a dowel through the loops then fix the dowel to the mini rack with Voilé nano straps.

Photos here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g3OBpw ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16rtRgc ... sp=sharing

Cheers,
Johnny
faustus

Post by faustus »

Not as good or cheap as the excellent MYOG solutions above, but similar to the peck deck, and available. Might still need loops on the bag for fitting? Expensive for what it is though!

https://freshtripe.co.uk/tadah-id-sakka-304/