For those who have ridden the West Country Way...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rivers

For those who have ridden the West Country Way...

Post by rivers »

Another question for those who have ridden the West Country Way over Dartmoor and Exmoor, what are water refill points like? With another heatwave upon us, I'm wondering if I have enough water carrying capacity. I have a 3 litre apidura hydration bladder in my frame bag and another 750ml bottle that will be on my hip pack. I'm debating whether or not to take another hydration bladder (either in a backpack or just go with a "hydration bladder baby" like I do for long distance TTs- down the front of my jersey). If there are refill points a plenty, then I won't worry about taking another bladder. But if they are scarce, then I'll take another bladder (although I don't necessarily want the extra weight).
Thanks.
Jurassic pusher

Re: For those who have ridden the West Country Way...

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Deleted
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

In Dartmoor and exmoor its fine. The bit in the middle is harder. I filled up from a grubby stream that wasn't great and in a little town. It only took 4hrs or so to ride between the two moors though. I think I carried 2 litres max... But I always drink an absolute tone at refill points to "tank up".

Biggest thing to watch out for is that the route is completely wrong for 500m or so just before Exmoor. It tells you to turn right into a gently descending field instead of going straight ahead on a well marked bridleway. If you make this mistake, do yourself a favour and retrace your steps... Don't try to push on with the gpx route like I did. Total pain!
Robster

Post by Robster »

Just off route but close enough… there is a services on the North Devon link road.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... gland.html

50.980838, -3.667608

I’m sure they would provide a top up.
Wednesday has a bikers meet up during the day, all friendly but long queue for food and drink.

Enjoy your ride.
rivers

Post by rivers »

Ha! I actually stopped there yesterday for lunch! Didn't need to top up though as I found an outside tap on a parish hall just a couple of miles before.