The end of gas stoves: a genuinely new approach to boiling water?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TheBrownDog

The end of gas stoves: a genuinely new approach to boiling water?

Post by TheBrownDog »

Apols if this has already been done, but it's new to me: a fan forced camping stove. And its tiny. It's not for me as I'm calm and relaxed kinda meths stove user, plus sometimes like to use my Honey Stove, but I'm quite taken by this and the obvious speed at which it generates usable flame and heat. Please, do discuss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOgObHdPdsA
I'm just going outside ...
Bearbonesnorm

Re: The end of gas stoves: a genuinely new approach to boiling water?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ooh, gotta say that I've got mixed feelings. It's clever but adding a fan to a wood stove isn't new. Secondly, you're reliant on a power source and a means to charge it which just seems like one more thing to break, lose or simply have to think about - the absolute simplicity of a wood stove is its main attraction and this in part removes that simplicity. In the same way that the humble bicycle has the capability to save the world, yet adding an electric motor to it turns it into part of the problem rather than the solution ... before anyone says owt, I've nothing against e-bikes or those who choose to ride one - I was just making a point. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

needs power but that is not stated in the weight aspect of the stove - bit misleading
That said looks like a good solution if you were going for multi days away from civilisation
Interested dependent on price

Website is

https://www.lofi.com/

Does not let me sign up to be notified about Kickstarter and not on FB twitter or Instagram to " reach out" to him as I am sure it would be called
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Powered fan + fire creates heat, which drives turbine, which spins dynamo, which generates electricity, which charges battery, which powers fan...

(Awaits "Which perpetual motion machine for my gravel bike?" threads.)
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Couldn’t a bike pump drive the fan?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
psling

Post by psling »

Dave Barter wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:27 pm Couldn’t a bike pump drive the fan?
Or do away with the fan (saving weight) and just use the bike pump as a bellows; fast pump for a quick boil, slow pump for simmer :wink:

On a (slightly) more serious note, anyone that carries one of those little usb fans for inflating their mattress might be able to r1g up a feed tube to their wood stove :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:49 pm Ooh, gotta say that I've got mixed feelings. It's clever but adding a fan to a wood stove isn't new. Secondly, you're reliant on a power source and a means to charge it
Obvious solution
https://uk.bioliteenergy.com/products/campstove-2-plus
:lol:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
jameso

Post by jameso »

Heat powered fan like stove top fans, could that work? Perpetual heat machine?
Obv I haven't looked at the original product, because meths and lightweight etc
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Might not last long enough, but how about using the air coming out of the sleeping mat to turbocharge your morning brew?

As a meths/gas/find a cafe (order of preference) person this isn't for me, but maybe there potential somewhere??
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

That's a neat use of bronze age technology. Obviously the fan won't last forever, so I hope it's replaceable. It would be cool if after you've finished cooking there was enough airflow so you could disconnect the power and it kept burning for as long as you added fuel. It would also mean that if the fan or power source failed in the middle of nowhere, you could still boil. Albeit slower than before.
RIP

Post by RIP »

PaulE wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:41 pm Might not last long enough, but how about using the air coming out of the sleeping mat to turbocharge your morning brew?
I like it! Or possibly utilise that dawn chorus first fart in the same way, which would have the advantage of a pre-heater as well. Then again that has obvious pyroflatulatory risks.

Love your threads Tim, always something to savour.
Last edited by RIP on Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Rob S wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:06 pm That's a neat use of bronze age technology. Obviously the fan won't last forever, so I hope it's replaceable. It would be cool if after you've finished cooking there was enough airflow so you could disconnect the power and it kept burning for as long as you added fuel. It would also mean that if the fan or power source failed in the middle of nowhere, you could still boil. Albeit slower than before.
They say you mustn't use it without power as you'll bork the fan electronics. I guess if they've already failed you've nothing to lose by adding more fuel.
psling

Post by psling »

pyroflatulatory
Excellent word sir, that has got to be today's word of the day :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

psling wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:59 am
pyroflatulatory
Excellent word sir, that has got to be today's word of the day :-bd
I think I might have made it up! Quite pleased with it though, on reflection :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Kick-start is going live soon, £120 for the 1st 50 to sign up.
FLV

Post by FLV »

ideal in the rain.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

My mates used to build TEG stoves like these 20 years ago, they'd turn up with a big bag of wooden cat litter pellets as they were the best fuel, it always seemed a bit daft to me carrying fuel for a wood stove.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Shewie wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:28 pm My mates used to build TEG stoves like these 20 years ago, they'd turn up with a big bag of wooden cat litter pellets as they were the best fuel, it always seemed a bit daft to me carrying fuel for a wood stove.
I did this once on a wet winter ride. Just carried enough to fill my first little wood burning stove. Needn't have bothered as there was plenty of dry enough wood about to burn, but they were pretty brilliant - about 250g of them burned for about an hour.
I'm just going outside ...