Broken collarbone

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Retiredtester

Broken collarbone

Post by Retiredtester »

Just broken my collarbone (Tuesday) and the enforced inactivity is already doing my head in. Anyone got any advice or morale boosting stories of their own clavicular misadventure they're happy to share?

For context, mine has apparently broken into 3 bits near the shoulder joint. It's cracked along the length of the bone, rather than across it, which the surgeon reckons should give it a decent chance of knitting together without surgery. I'm in a sling for at least 3 weeks and hoping to get on the turbo in the next day or two.
redefined_cycles

Re: Broken collarbone

Post by redefined_cycles »

Really sorry to hear that. My elder bro did the same recently and I was away from yhe bike for a good few months after an overuse injury. You'll get through it and certainly will come back stronger. Try and rest and I'd just stay away from the TT so soon aswell (but that's just me maybe).
jobro

Post by jobro »

Your Clavicle fracture is more complex than the two I've had but nevertheless I think with that breakage you will be back on the turbo quite quickly as I was. Its not the most enjoyable way of riding a bike but at least you won't loose too much fitness before your first proper ride. I was back outside, on the road, within four weeks (three I think). Be aware of any pains or tightness in legs as two of my friends developed DVT following their accidents due to clots forming because of the trauma.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I had a single break in my collarbone a couple of years ago. The consultant basically said let discomfort (but hopefully not pain) be your guide, so I was on the turbo a week or so later. If all goes well the bone will have knitted back together in about six weeks - that's just how long it takes.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Given its 18 month since i did mine and its still not right I am pretty sure you dont want to hear my story or how long it took me to get back on a bike [ short version bone healed well got frozen shoulder as a result of the break]
Hope you fair better than I have and dont get it [ sorry to sound negative its pretty uncommon but can happen]
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Thanks folks. All appreciated, for better and for worse! Going to try and get it moving as soon as I feel able to and the surgeon gave me the same advice about being guided by the pain (or preferably, lack of it!).
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Mine was broken in two with a chip floating around- the bones were basically waving around inside but they still knitted, albeit with a jaggy lump and slightly altered shoulder geometry. From memory, 2 weeks before some kind of join had been made, 4 weeks and it was feeling quite firm, 6 I could do most stuff with some gurning, 12 and it was more or less OK. The shoulder has given me gyp since but I can live with it. If you are sitting or lying try to keep your shoulders back - it will help it to heal straight.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

On the plus side my shoulder does not hurt one bit - the pain i had before the accident has gone
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

As a kid I was slipstreaming a local shopper bus down a big hill, as he braked for a humpback bridge at the bottom I took the inside line and hit the back of a parked ice cream van.
Wrote off my Raleigh Mustang, broke my collarbone and lost a couple of front teeth in the process, worst part was I couldn't go on a PGL adventure holiday to sunny Wales the week after.

Get well soon fella
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

When I was in 1st year of high school, I’d given a third year a bit of banter (or at least what I thought was).

He obviously thought I needed teaching a lesson. A few days later when I was walking down the corridor for lunch, he came from behind and took my legs away with a kick whilst simultaneously pushing me hard in the back. It happened so quick I didn’t even have time to get my hands up and resulted in a painful break of the clavicle.
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Jesus! Starting to feel like I got off pretty lightly!