Garmin Edges

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Garmin Edges

Post by fatbikephil »

I'm thinking of a Garmin edge for times when I'm out for the day and don't need to worry about re-charging. The dakota is fine but the screen very small - OK for following a GPX track but less so for my usual random route wandering. But I will want to add OS maps from a card - do the edge series take memory cards? It doesn't seem clear from descriptions if you can add maps. Edge explore is looking the best bet as I don't need all the training aids of the others and Amazon are doing 'renewed' ones for £156
Tah
P
johnnystorm

Re: Garmin Edges

Post by johnnystorm »

I don't think the explore has an SD card slot like my old Edge 810 had. Having said that I don't miss it as the onboard maps are decent and I use my phone to get the "bigger picture" when necessary.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

johnnystorm wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:18 pm I don't think the explore has an SD card slot like my old Edge 810 had. Having said that I don't miss it as the onboard maps are decent and I use my phone to get the "bigger picture" when necessary.
They have pretty big on board disks now. I think you’d get a uk os map on there
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Ime the screen is still to small to re route so I use a phone ( you can pick a place and mine will route to it though but yet to try this feature )
Think mine is 8 GB and my touch only takes a 4 GB card and has os on it so agree it can be installed ( no idea if you can then select the map)
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:03 am
johnnystorm wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:18 pm I don't think the explore has an SD card slot like my old Edge 810 had. Having said that I don't miss it as the onboard maps are decent and I use my phone to get the "bigger picture" when necessary.
They have pretty big on board disks now. I think you’d get a uk os map on there
Cool, I was thinking more of having it in addition. I'm not sure I'd want to risk my "new map" with my old iOffer one! Added to the fact the garmin os maps can be fuzzy and crowded I think that the osm on screen and os on mobile is my favourite compromise.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I had 4 edge explores that all had the same issue, initially the battery indicator under reports the battery life - I was only getting about 8 hours of use.

However, it turns out you can run the unit well after it gets to 0% - but after you do this, the battery indicator is not calibrated to the battery so no longer reports the correct battery life. Eg, it could be at 30% and when you rebooted it would jump to 50%.

This was consistent behaviour on all 4 units.

Garmin ended up replacing mine with an 830 because of all the hassle I’d had.
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Hi Phil

I’ve had a Garmin Edge 530 probably for two years now, and praise it highly.

I’ve put OS maps on, there’s no card, but you plug it into your PC and copy the relevant files across.

The battery is superb.

The screen is small so I’ll often use my phone for detail.

But it is lightweight, 78g if I recall correctly.

All sorts of stuff in it re “grit” and “flow” etc.

After every ride it uploads to Garmin Connect automatically (it’s in settings somewhere), and from there to Strava

It’s a bit awkward following a route/track in that the zoom feature has to be ‘manipulated’ in settings .

Looking at maps on their own you can zoom in/out, and move right, left, up, or down.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Thanks all
Garmin OS premium for the UK is 13GB so I'd only be able to put bits of it on which means IDing grid squares and copying them over - i.e difficult enough to be a non-starter. Looks like all the edge series have switched to 16GB internal instead of having the ability to put a card in - how crap is that - why not 64gb?? The standard mapping is well short of the detail needed for any off road adventures that aren't on established routes so you'd be stuck with maps from fietsnet or talky toaster which would alos require you to download only the bit you want. OK but it's just one more thing to remember to do before going on a trip. Plus I'm an OS man through and through!

So it would be good for road riding and the odd gravel foray which is fine but given my Dakota's increasing finickiness, and my growing eyesight deterioration I was hoping to get something that would replace it with a bigger screen and an ability to expand the battery life. As far as I can tell the Oregon is no more and the montana is a bit brick like (and mucho dosh) so edge it is.... The edge touring can't take the extra battery pack which would seem to be a worthwhile upgrade of the touring plus....

Eric, I did look at the 520 / 530 but I can't be doing with all the Strava and training stuff (or the 'air time' feature FFS). Plus it's screen is pretty much the same size as the Dakota.

As usual I can feel much procrastination coming on. Following Northwind's other thread, it occurs to me that what we actually want is a device which can run the OS / OMM etc. apps but doesn't have all the other phone crap on, is smaller (I'm not having a smart phone in a box on my bars) and has good battery life....

(Cue Reg coming on with 'Use a map!')
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I hummed and hahhed for ages about buying an Edge. I already had a walking Garmin (Etrex 20) that had OS maps on it and the problem as others have mentioned is that the screen is often too small to make full use of the decent mapping. Add to this the fact that I now need to wear reading glasses to see the detail on the map/device and I decided to get an Edge 130 plus (which has no basemap) and use my phone for checking the map as I have to stop and put my specs on anyway. The 130 has exceeded my expectations though and even though I assumed it would be useless for navigation it's actually quite good using just a bread crumb trail and direction arrows (absolutely fine on the road and surprisingly decent off road as well). Obviously if your eyesight is still good and you can see the device while riding a bigger Garmin with mapping and colour screen would make more sense than it does to me.
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Phil

I have the full set of OS maps on, England, Wales, Scotland (not NI though).
You just ignore all the training stuff, upload to Connect, Strava etc. It’s no bother. I don’t know anything about Garmin OS Premium. What I did was to buy Memory Map with all the OS maps (been using that years, so used to it). The MM files are about 5gb I think.
copied the relevant files from PC across to the device. PM me if you need more info.

I’ve just checked on the 530 (cos I’m mainly using around here - Lancashire) and I can browse the Highlands and all that. I got mine for about £230.

Eric
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

If I’m following a route on the 530 and I get stuck or need clarification, at that point I’ll get the phone out. It has Memory Map OS maps on. 1:50k and 1:25k for greater detail. So the phone is away in the frame bag.
:-bd
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

And the maps on the phone don’t need a mobile signal. They just need the satellites. Hit one button and it pinpoints exactly where you are, and if you start moving you get a long red arrow which tells you which direction you are moving. I even use that when driving in out of the way places eg nearest beach, nearest village etc.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Thanks again Eric, I hadn't realised you could transfer maps from MM etc. to a garmin. Annoyingly I no longer have such a thing as my tracklogs maps got dumped when they stopped supporting the none subscription app. I've got Garmins own map card with OS on which I use in the Dakota. If I just use 1:50k then that would be 2.5GB so that may be the answer. I've also been using the phone for wider map viewing so I suspect thats the answer (quickly checks on Daves mapping app thread again!)

Battery life on the 530 is much more like it...Still procrastinating.....
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Just got one currently getting used it it's routing advice ( nb please make sure the GPX is the correct direction or it just tells you to do a U-turn ( nav to start it's plots it's own route and does not reverse it )
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

Related to this topic, does anyone know if the new Edges will read really old Garmin maps? I have some ancient (15yr?) old whole GB 1:50 & 1:25k OS maps which work fine in my 810. But I have always wondered, if the 810 eventually breaks, will they work in newer units, because I heard a rumour that Garmin changed something that stopped old maps working. Does anyone know?

Also, out of interest, do people get really annoyed with the capacitive touchscreen on the newer Edges? The 810 is resistive (responds to pressure), so works totally fine in rain or with gloves... but the newer ones are more like a mobile phone screen.... and certainly my phone doesn't work great at all in either of those scenarios...
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:57 pm Thanks again Eric, I hadn't realised you could transfer maps from MM etc. to a garmin. Annoyingly I no longer have such a thing as my tracklogs maps got dumped when they stopped supporting the none subscription app. I've got Garmins own map card with OS on which I use in the Dakota. If I just use 1:50k then that would be 2.5GB so that may be the answer. I've also been using the phone for wider map viewing so I suspect thats the answer (quickly checks on Daves mapping app thread again!)

Battery life on the 530 is much more like it...Still procrastinating.....
Have the Edge 530 and I’ve been impressed. Not sure if you really need a map if you’re following a dotted line on the screen, although it would probably make navigation a bit easier.

It’s also easy to use, not sure why people struggle with the garmin (I struggled with Komoot initially to get my routes)

As someone mentioned, if I get lost or misplaced, I just get my phone out to look at OS maps.

I got mine for £160 earlier in the year and I’ve seen that price twice already this year, so might be worth hanging on for a little to see if they drop again.

Battery life seems pretty accurate too :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:24 am (Cue Reg coming on with 'Use a map!')
Wot, me guv? Nah :smile: Then again this thread is eerily similar to all those "Tubeless? Fantastic! But, er..." followed by long list of replies detailing all sorts of small but tedious issues that would really wind me up :grin: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:28 am
I got mine for £160 earlier in the year and I’ve seen that price twice already this year, so might be worth hanging on for a little to see if they drop again.

Battery life seems pretty accurate too :-bd
Cheers Simon, I'll hang on for a bit and see what comes up
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Chrisps wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:32 am Related to this topic, does anyone know if the new Edges will read really old Garmin maps? I have some ancient (15yr?) old whole GB 1:50 & 1:25k OS maps which work fine in my 810. But I have always wondered, if the 810 eventually breaks, will they work in newer units, because I heard a rumour that Garmin changed something that stopped old maps working. Does anyone know?

Also, out of interest, do people get really annoyed with the capacitive touchscreen on the newer Edges? The 810 is resistive (responds to pressure), so works totally fine in rain or with gloves... but the newer ones are more like a mobile phone screen.... and certainly my phone doesn't work great at all in either of those scenarios...
I believe old img files should still work
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

As an aside, how many boners use the talkytoaster maps?

I find them pretty good, and it's nice to support the little guy
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

belugabob wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:41 pm As an aside, how many boners use the talkytoaster maps?

I find them pretty good, and it's nice to support the little guy
I used to use them and found them mostly good however after having a close shave with almost walking off a rocky outcrop that was unmarked on the Talkytoaster map but is on the OS map while hill walking I splashed out on the OS mapping (and yes, I know I should have cross referenced my GPS with the paper OS map that I was carrying which would have negated the issue).
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

That's one good reason, I suppose.

I don't tend to encounter terrain like that, where I live, so haven't encountered that problem (yet?)

Might be worth letting Martin at talkytoaster know, in case he can amend the maps (via OSM)
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Just as a follow up, I got impatient and bought an edge 530. Used it twice now with varying success. Spent a while ploughing through various menus to try to set it up like I want it. It's similar to the old edge 200 I have (well a bit) so less difficult than coming from the dakota so this was done with an acceptable minimum of swearing. It didn't like the 1:50k OS maps I got with my original dakota but accepted the premium ones I got from ioffer. I'll just have to load them selectively as I need them. I should have given the garmin maps a chance I suppose....

First ride went OK, found how to add a GPX track and got on with it. Having turn by turn nav was a novelty, instead of just making sure the arrow stays on the purple line. It seemed to work OK but the auto zoom was a bit variable plus the turn directions and hill climb schematic got in the way a bit. I think I can turn these off.

Then on the ride today it all went wrong. 10k in and it was suddenly trying to get me to go back the way I came. I tried stopping nav and starting it again but it made no difference. Eventually I switched the nav off and just had the map displayed which was fine (I knew where I was going) but tried again some time later. It seemed to work but when I went off route later (deliberately) it got stuck trying to re-calculate the route. Eventually it seemed to sort itself out but was still getting me to try to turn round right up until I got home...

Turns out the GPX track I'd loaded followed my route anti-clockwise and I was riding clockwise.... :roll: I suppose this didn't matter on the dakota as you just follow the line but obviously if its doing nav turn by turn this is going to cause some issues i.e continually telling you to do a U turn. So not quite as idiot proof as ideal but I should be able to sort my way through the foibles as well as making sure my routes go the right way. That said, it will be good for ITT's which follow convoluted routes and cross over themselves. The turn by turn will also be good for places I don't know (like on the BB200 last year) as it will help me take the right track when there is a choice of 4 and you don't know which is the route.... Battery life is good. I used it for 12hrs in total and it was down to 53% despite not being in battery saver mode. With battery saver mode on I should get as much out of a charge as a pair of Ultimate lithiums in the Dakota. I see I can get an extra battery for an additional 24hrs life (and £120) so I might do that at some point when I've gotten over shelling out close to 200 bar already.

Oh and being told how much I'd sweated was a bit disturbing. It doesn't seem to want to calculate my personality disorders to 10 decimal places though....
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Did the same except i was doing the trans penine trail so it was going to say do a U turn for 200 miles !

Its also got stuck a few times a t aq bit where i was [ or it thought] i was minorly off route [ like 6 foot so GPX error ]

oits also not great at re routing as today we took a different route form the GPX [ for a nice cheeky FP descent and it was still telling me to do a U tirn 3 miles later when i was about 200m from rejoining the route

Basically turn by turn is great with the countdown but it if it goes wrong the inability to see a map and look/scroll is a right pain
67% battery after 8 hours was great though
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Based on my own personal experience I'd go for the Wahoo bolt over the Garminge units but thats me, battery life and ease of use knocks spots off the Garmin units. My 810 was probably the best of all till it got a little old then the gremlins set in and ruined the vibe with that unit went on to 820 520 both poor compared to Wahoo units but like I said thats me
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams