Varicose veins... ouch!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

barney

Varicose veins... ouch!

Post by barney »

So I've just had my varicose veins removed, bloody hell it's a lot more painful than I expected.

Anyone else had them removed and what was your recovery time like?

Cheers
Wait for me...
boxelder

Re: Varicose veins... ouch!

Post by boxelder »

My wife keeps suggesting I get some removed - are the reasons just for looks?
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I had mine done a few years ago in my early 40's. Signed off work for two weeks, happy days I thought, a couple of days to get over the op then two weeks free to ride my bike. I limped around with walks gradually getting longer. I tried my road bike at the end of the first week then went back to limping around the village. By the end of the second week my walking was much improved and I could manage easy rides on the turbo. I think it was the third week before I went out on the road back and that was full of discomfort, I could feel every bump on the road. Week four before I was going for gentle off road rides after work. I reckon it was six weeks after the op before I felt fully recovered.

The reason I got them done was I was getting patches of excema on them and the doctor said they could go ulcerous.
barney

Post by barney »

boxelder wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:21 am My wife keeps suggesting I get some removed - are the reasons just for looks?
Yeah, I'm pretty much the same, able to do light turbo training but that's about it.

Nothing cosmetic about getting mine done, they were incredibly irritating and I would end up subconsciously scratching them and breaking the skin. GP recommended surgery.
Wait for me...
gairym

Post by gairym »

This all sounds lovely :shock:

I've decided not to get any, anyone know how I ensure this*?

(*genuinely interested if there's an accepted cause or if they just sometimes happen to some folk???)
barney

Post by barney »

gairym wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:05 pm This all sounds lovely :shock:

I've decided not to get any, anyone know how I ensure this*?

(*genuinely interested if there's an accepted cause or if they just sometimes happen to some folk???)
Oh nowt to it Gairy.... local anesthetic, fibre optic laser goes up the vein from ankle to groin and they zap the vein (technical explanation). Then you actually do feel him pulling the veins out your leg, Yuk !!! :o

Just one of the many perks of getting old. :lol:
Wait for me...