Things that have recently annoyed me

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slarge

Re: Things that have recently annoyed me

Post by slarge »

Link worked for me.

This is the age old fact vs emotion argument. Despite the facts, many people will believe cyclist deaths are self caused as they see cyclists as the devil's spawn. Despite all facts pointing to the contrary.

This is also how politicians win elections (and worse)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I tend to believe that for some reason, cyclists have largely replaced bikers as the motorists enemy. If a car hit you in the 80's then it was your own fault for choosing to ride a motorbike and therefor being a scumbag.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Firstly (I don't mean to offend but) if I was told to wear rainbow colour in support of LGBT I wouldn't. That's not due to hate or anything and I'm happy to live and let live. Just don't force me to wear stuff that supports your cause if I don't agree with it (feel free to punch outy lights when anyone sees me :o ).

Anyway, what really annoyed me (and again, sorry if what I just wrote really annoys anyone :sad: I don't mean for it to) this afternoon was on a singletrack road. Miserable looking chap behind me trying to overtake. Couple of times I slowed to a stop to allow pedestrians/children and also a car from opposite direction. Pretty sure he wanted to punch out my lights from his facial expressions... So maybe he didn't annoy me as much as scared me and I probably annoyed him more. Green Volkswagen Golf... The older chav edition :-bd
redefined_cycles

Oh... I also slowed down for cyclists on both sides of the road. That must've really got the fumes coming out his nose!
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

woodsmith wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:50 am
RIP wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:09 am I feel for you :sad: . That's very sad.

Generally reading around this issue with my brew after this morning's constitutional round the lanes, and found this quite interesting https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp. theg ... ts-study . Not directly related to cyclists damaging third parties but taken at face value puts the red-light-jumping/no-lights debate in a different light (ho ho).
Link not working Reg.
Bloody Google syndication ruins news urls, try this:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ents-study
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:03 pm Firstly (I don't mean to offend but) if I was told to wear rainbow colour in support of LGBT I wouldn't. That's not due to hate or anything and I'm happy to live and let live. Just don't force me to wear stuff that supports your cause if I don't agree with it (feel free to punch outy lights when anyone sees me :o ).

Anyway, what really annoyed me (and again, sorry if what I just wrote really annoys anyone :sad: I don't mean for it to)
Only that your annoyance is for a theoretical event, not an actual one. :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

johnnystorm wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:55 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:03 pm Firstly (I don't mean to offend but) if I was told to wear rainbow colour in support of LGBT I wouldn't. That's not due to hate or anything and I'm happy to live and let live. Just don't force me to wear stuff that supports your cause if I don't agree with it (feel free to punch outy lights when anyone sees me :o ).

Anyway, what really annoyed me (and again, sorry if what I just wrote really annoys anyone :sad: I don't mean for it to)
Only that your annoyance is for a theoretical event, not an actual one. :lol:
Ding! Just A Minute-style deviation. That's a point to you Johnny, and you have 12 seconds left on the subject "Things That Have Recently Annoyed Me" :grin:
Last edited by RIP on Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

:grin: just thought to get my 'conflict of interest' pointed out before joining in with my annoyance bit :smile:
ton

Post by ton »

just spent 13 days on jury service. 2nd time for me. i was annoyed the whole time. my time being taken up by some dickheads who cant behave.

i got annoyed early, with myself. i tried to do some press ups in the garden. my fused wrists wont let my body do a fucking press up ffs.

most of the time i get annoyed by things i do or cant do. sad really.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ton wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:36 pm i got annoyed early, with myself. i tried to do some press ups in the garden. my fused wrists wont let my body do a fucking press up ffs.
Don't be Ton - I'm pretty skinny, have fairly good wrists and can just about manage one press up (on a good day) all thanks to T-rex arms....
I actually made an effort last year to try to do more (part of recovery from a duff shoulder) and I still couldn't Eventually realised I just can't, and thats the end of it :-bd
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

fatbikephil wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:35 pm
ton wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:36 pm i got annoyed early, with myself. i tried to do some press ups in the garden. my fused wrists wont let my body do a fucking press up ffs.
Don't be Ton - I'm pretty skinny, have fairly good wrists and can just about manage one press up (on a good day) all thanks to T-rex arms....
I actually made an effort last year to try to do more (part of recovery from a duff shoulder) and I still couldn't Eventually realised I just can't, and thats the end of it :-bd
Did you try doing inclined press ups i.e. hands on a bench or box? Just mention it as rehab-ing a shoulder myself and this has helped the progression towards normal (could never do loads but sets of 20 were manageable - yeah, yeah, hark at me :roll:).

Ton - you might try them off your knuckles / fists as that allows a straight wrist. Roch-hard folks can do them off concrete etc whilst your average Joe might like a yoga matt or foam between their knuckles and the floor. Alternatively try a large-ish diameter bar that allows your wrist to align or be in an alignment where you don't need to bend against the rigid, fused section.

NB I am not qualified nor a physio etc Just offering some ideas based on personal experience :grin:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Jacob Rees-Mogg.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Bearlegged wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:25 pm Jacob Rees-Mogg.
Oh yes ... oh yes ... a more vile stick insect of a Victorian undertaker has never walked the earth.
I'm just going outside ...
jameso

Post by jameso »

TheBrownDog wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:15 pm
Oh yes ... oh yes ... a more vile stick insect of a Victorian undertaker has never walked the earth.
"A haunted Victorian pencil"
Someone's description of him that made me lol
faustus

Post by faustus »

jameso wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:21 am
TheBrownDog wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:15 pm
"A haunted Victorian pencil"
Someone's description of him that made me lol
:lol: that's a quality one!

I mean this thread has too much potential, and makes me realise too much of my energy is taken up deploying 'annoyance management' internally!

Anyway (work related, and possibly controversial), but i'm getting more annoyed at the increasingly loud viewpoint that having world class drinking water, and being able to do whatever spurious thing you want with it - at all times - is some kind of human right. The thought that even some kind of minor restriction of it's use, is a failure rather than a direct result of too much human pressure on environmental resources.

I thought venting it would help - it hasn't :sad:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Absolutely agree about water. Quite shocking waste. Having to filter 500ml at a time from streams when out and about on japes really concentrates the mind about how precious it is. We share (low) bath water (too old to share at the same time now though :wink: ), use it to flush the karzi, water the garden with it, never let taps run doing teeth, and many other things blah blah. Quite why restrictions weren't implemented earlier I don't know. Then again, water co's aren't squeaky clean with leak management either.

Same for electricity - having to ration lighting etc on japes again makes you conscious of how privileged it is.

Carthartic this thread is :wink:
Last edited by RIP on Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

For most of my life I've lived in properties with a private water supply (long fancy way of saying "a spring"). combine with old, decrepit infrastructure and it was quite common for the water supply to freeze up somewhere between source and the house/buildings. Carrying buckets of water for the maybe fifty cows kept in the buildings twice a day concentrates the mind. No baths or showers until the problem is sorted out.

I really don't understand why modern builds don't have grey water management systems built in. Sure, foul water needs to go to the sewers but sending grey water there as well just increases the volume of water/material that has to be dealt with leading to increased cost for everyone.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Oh so true ... if people learnt not to be so wasteful, then many of 'our problems' would be reduced. However, I feel the two headed monster of entitlement and greed feed off each other and dictate how things are and how they're likely to remain.

... oh and stupid people in general, which in itself covers a vast and diverse mix of the populace, yet there's an overriding common denominator :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:14 pm two headed monster of entitlement and greed
Aye, not forgetting the snakes-hair (*) of convenience and the slavering-jaws (*) of remoteness from source - out of sight out of mind - same for food production and everything else.

(*) sorry, I'm pushing the monster imagery to its limits here

RIP

Post by RIP »

Welsh ABnBs: https://theguardian.com/technology/20 ... -wales

That annoys me. The numbers are now out of control. Not debating it, just my opinion. Relevant to (at least my sort of) bikepacking in that I don't use a local building up when there (unless maybe pub or local's B&B - or a derelict shed :smile: ) and I buy all my supplies when I get there. My simplistic opinion is there should be the opposite of 'a small number of affordable homes for locals' - it should be 'a strict limit to the number of ABnBs owned by non-locals'.

Just for balance, I'm not annoyed that all my oak/hazel/blackthorn/etc saplings down by the river are all still alive after I've watered them every week (sorry wrong thread - should be in Cheery Friday...)

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Everybody and their dog is busy erecting cabins, sheds and other nondescript structures locally to seemingly try and cash in on the 'staycation' boom ... that word in itself is actually something that annoys me. A stay-cation used to mean that you stayed at home but each day travelled somewhere for a day out. Now, it's used to describe what we used to simply refer to as a 'holiday'.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:59 pm Everybody and their dog is busy erecting cabins, sheds...
Curiously I'm far less annoyed, even to the point of not being annoyed at all so long as there's planning constraints, if it's a local person putting up a brand new structure using their own money (as opposed to parasiting off an existing one).

Damn, I wasn't going to get into a debate!

riderdown

Post by riderdown »

I really don't understand why modern builds don't have grey water management systems built in. Sure, foul water needs to go to the sewers but sending grey water there as well just increases the volume of water/material that has to be dealt with leading to increased cost for everyone.
Because they don't really do much, are high initial cost, they need a potable water backup, the risk of cross connection is high, we don't have standards for pipe colours etc
Quite why restrictions weren't implemented earlier I don't know.
Because people complain when they implement them, the way regulation is set up more complaints drive financial penalties. Same applies when they do the anonymous surveys that also score the water companies.

It's bonkers that people think they have a right to garden like they are in a world without climate change.

I'm waiting for Welsh politicians to clock that water from mid Wales is going to be sent to the SE of England with no benefit for the locals. And the people of the north west of England realise they will have popping kettles and hosepipe bans to support the SE gardners
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Because they ..., are high initial cost, ...
I suspect that is the main reason - an extra cost to developers. The other factors can mostly be overcome and are a bit like saying I'm not going to drive 10mph slower to save fuel because I'm still using fuel.

Don't do much: they do *something* which is better than nothing. (Edit: a modern toilet uses 6L per flush, a standard shower uses 5L/min, a power shower 13L/min)
Potable water backup: so does my open system central heating, doesn't mean that I shouldn't use it. (high cost of kerosene not excepted of course)
Standards for pipe colours, etc: create them!
risk of cross connection: Use different size pipes in the new colour so the grey water can't be connected to the potable.

Look for reasons to do something rather than reasons not to.

(not a personal dig, just the engineer in me looking for solutions :wink: )
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Come on Bob, we all know if the world was run by engineers and not bankers, it'd be far better :wink: