#TCRNo8

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Verena

#TCRNo8

Post by Verena »

Anyone else dot watching?

https://www.transcontinental.cc/

Interesting already how they're streaming out via north or south routes....

I'm watching cap no. 125....
redefined_cycles

Re: #TCRNo8

Post by redefined_cycles »

I keep meaning to watch Verena. Which is cap 125? I believe Fiona Kolbinger is back and in cap no 1...
Dean

Post by Dean »

I had a quick nosey, the person who appears to be at the front has covered 730km in 20h45m and has a total stopped time of 9 minutes.

I stop longer than this at traffic lights on my 15km commute...
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

That is mental! The winner of the national 24hr tt normally does something like 840k, and they've done 730 in less than 21hrs!
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I used to race with Iansaing To. He’s gone from a dodgy 4th cat to an amazing rider. I’ll be cheering him all the way.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
jameso

Post by jameso »

Christoph Strasser is racing this year, a RAAM legend. Interesting to see how one of best RAAM racers will transfer to self supported racing. Very well I expect.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I’m sure Michael Broadworth is out there as well? LEJOG record holder
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Verena

Post by Verena »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:49 pm I keep meaning to watch Verena. Which is cap 125? I believe Fiona Kolbinger is back and in cap no 1...
Jesko von Werthern, German guy who introduced me to bikepacking
redefined_cycles

[quot]
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:49 pm I keep meaning to watch Verena. Which is cap 125? I believe Fiona Kolbinger is back and in cap no 1...
Jesko von Werthern, German guy who introduced me to bikepacking
[/quote]

Nice :-bd
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I cycled to the start, watched them off and cycled back. A nice few days away.
Some incredible distances in first 45 or so hours.
Kristofer Allegaert was at the start as well to see them off.
It was nice to speak to some of the riders as well who I will now be following on their journey.
substandard

Post by substandard »

Interesting the different distances it took them to reach cp1.

Fiona rode a lot further than some of the others who beat her to cp1. I’d be useless at picking the optimum route!

Richard gate is another to keep an eye on, met him a couple of years ago on the dales divide, he’s doing it as a pair with his son.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Blackhound wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:58 pm Some incredible distances in first 45 or so hours.
Isn't it just, I looked last night and 🤯!

Guess they'll start to slow down a bit once tiredness kicks in and they hit some mountains?
jobro

Post by jobro »

Fiona Kolbinger was robbed last night as she slept and had a number of valuables stolen including her tracker. After a visit to the police station she is pushing on but untrackable until checkpoint 2.

Previous leader Ulrich Bartholomoes is now suffering from significant knee pain and has slowed right down.

The trials of ultra distance racing!
redefined_cycles

Fiona Kolbinger was robbed last night as she slept and had a number of valuables stolen including her tracker. After a visit to the police station she is pushing on but untrackable until checkpoint 2.

Previous leader Ulrich Bartholomoes is now suffering from significant knee pain and has slowed right down.

Thanks for that update Jobro. Hope she's ok and hope Ulrich' knee recovers (though I believe it can only get worse from here unless a significant bit of stopping or slowing).
Verena

Post by Verena »

jobro wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:41 pm Fiona Kolbinger was robbed last night as she slept and had a number of valuables stolen including her tracker. After a visit to the police station she is pushing on but untrackable until checkpoint 2.

:o :o :o
That's scary, do we know where she slept?
jobro

Post by jobro »

The proverbial bus shelter I believe (which infinitely better than a ditch :lol: )

It has brought up some old issues about riders, and especially women riders, safety when they can be tracked down to a few metres. In the past, some have asked organisers to turn off tracking at night.
flyingpig

Post by flyingpig »

Fellow Boner Alan Parkinson who I bumped into on last year's BB200 off route is riding it, cap 60

My mate Aidan Allcock also, cap 127
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

jobro wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:38 pm
The proverbial bus shelter I believe (which infinitely better than a ditch :lol: )

It has brought up some old issues about riders, and especially women riders, safety when they can be tracked down to a few metres. In the past, some have asked organisers to turn off tracking at night.
Most races I've done I've turned my tracker off 30 to 60 min before going to bed for that reason.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

We have heard this morning that one of the pairs riders, Gary Cunnington, has caught Covid so that will be them out. I don't know the detail, but herself received a message from his riding partner Lionel Bobb this morning who is going to continue alone.