Vosges - riding?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

GregMay

Vosges - riding?

Post by GregMay »

Anyone spent anytime riding MTB/gravel in and around the Vosges?

Off there for a week with family and can get out for a few long rides in between wine/castle sampling.

Will probably have gravel bike with me as I want to do some road riding too, so less bikepark more XCMTB.
jameso

Re: Vosges - riding?

Post by jameso »

Love the Vosges... Ridden through on the road and have seen a lot of trails crossing the roads but haven't explored off-road there yet. French or German side? Look around the Freiburg area if you're anywhere near, a few bike companies based there and I hear a lot of good things about the MTB riding nearby.
The Schauinsland climb is a cracker for a road rider and gets you to a high area towards Todnau where there must be some good off-roading. That road/day was a real highlight of my rides to the old Eurobike show location and I'd spent time pre-Brexit looking at the prices of a small cabin/chalet there. In many ways I'd take the Vosges and Black Forest area over the higher Alps, it's just so beautiful.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Plan is for the French side. We're going to spend time dotting about back and forth, but no fixed plans.

I'm aware of the Grand Ballon as a climb, but not much else! Need to get myself a 1:50 map and have a look.
ton

Post by ton »

brilliant area for riding. been twice both time did loads of mixed on/off road riding.
we were in Gerardmer. great bike park a Lac du Blanc.
rode up the Grand ballon on my singular swift.

would love to go for a few week for a proper explore.

and sausage and sauerkraut for lunch, with beer is vaguely exciting.
Verena

Post by Verena »

You could always drop Sophie a line, she's a good egg and real bikepacker who has just set up this business, pretty sure she'd be happy to just share some ideas of good routes.

https://biketoursvosges.com/