European Divide ITT.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

European Divide ITT.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Quite an undertaking, especially give the range of likely conditions between Norway and Portugal.

https://bikepacking.com/plan/angus-youn ... _i_PEXRtw0
May the bridges you burn light your way
pistonbroke

Re: European Divide ITT.

Post by pistonbroke »

The route comes within 10km of here, must keep an eye on his progress to ride with him for a bit. Saying that we're at km 5,890 so it may be a while yet.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

He looks to have trimmed 750g from his beard. Bonne chance Sir.
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

:lol:
Image Image
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Nearly 750km done and he's still in deepest Lapland. The remoteness of this area is hard to comprehend, I rode a motorbike up to the North Cape about 10 years ago and came back through the area he is in at the moment. I nearly ran out of fuel as the distance between filling stations was so great, it's mind numbing to ride along 20km straights on flat gravel logging roads with only the threat of running into an elk to keep you alert. We went at a similar time of year and the near 24 hour daylight was difficult to acclimatise to.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

1500km in 5 days is impressive across the wilds of Swedish Lapland, should get hillier now as he's approaching the ski areas around Ostersund. ETA of another 15 days is a bit optimistic , the section that I'm familiar with is not easy riding.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

He's just approaching the 1,500mile mark in just over 8 days and still in Sweden, another 250 miles to the ferry in Gothenburg, probably tomorrow, it's a bloody big country!
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Denmark done inside 2 days, really smashing the miles on the flatlands. 2,000miles completed in 11 and a bit days. More flat in northern Germany before crossing the Rhine where it gets a lot lumpier.
slarge

Post by slarge »

That's pretty good progress!!
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

2 weeks done and just over half way. Yesterday's mileage was reduced by an off route trip into Hanover, he was reporting a bald rear tyre so I assume he replaced it. Onwards to Cologne then running parallel to the Rhine where it's considerably hillier through the vineyards.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Aye he is making great progress and good to dot watch him
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Passed the 3,000mile mark this morning. He has commented that it's getting a lot hillier now he's well into France. The next few days involve a gradual descent into the Rhone valley then back up to ride parallel to the Mediterranean North of Montpellier. Hope he's packed some hot weather gear, the temperature here has been mid 30's for weeks.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

another 500 miles ticked off in double quick time, he crossed into Cataluña this morning and is climbing to 1,000m along a section of the Transpyr route that I rode some years ago with Blackhound and Gairy of this parish. The trail involves a steep twisty corrugated concrete road then a fairly rough downhill into the volcanic region around Olot. He should be passing my neck of the woods late Tuesday and Wednesday. Some big hills before then.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

According to his tracker, he's currently looking for a way across the river Ebro. Clearly he's discounted the narrow bridge that carries a live railway line that features a thigh high guard rail that is all that's separating you from plummeting 50ft into the wide river below. Those who have ridden the Spanish C2C know this is the only option for 20km each way. I'm currently lurking 10km further on, 500m up a col that he will be doing well to avoid walking. Did I mention that Spain is a bit hilly.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Met up with him last Tuesday for about 30km on my local trails, he seemed to be enjoying the riding saying it was much greener than he anticipated. It's actually been bone dry for nearly 3 months and was 36 degrees when we were riding. He's been putting in some long shifts in the days since, riding from sunrise to midnight in an attempt to finish in time to attend his brother's wedding later this week. Broken handlebars and bald tyres in Germany cost him best part of a day and some sketchy route finding and hike a bike in France have slowed him. He entered Portugal this morning and has 250km to go but his tracker has just shown him quite a way off track, hope he hasn't got more problems with the finish so close. One possible scenario is that the TV news has been reporting bad forest fires in Portugal.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Back on the track now with 100 miles to the finish so should have it done tomorrow which will be an incredible 32 days after starting. The earlier detour was from the Spanish border for about 20km and is almost certainly a result of fire risk if not actual fires. Guessing such acts of God are allowed and it will stand as a FKT.If so it will take some beating, nearly 75% of the time was spent moving.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Appreciate you updating this and reminding me to dot watch and must have been nice riding with him
Chapeau to you both
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:41 pm Appreciate you updating this and reminding me to dot watch and must have been nice riding with him
Chapeau to you both
+1. Thanks Duncan. The prospect of that narrow bridge rail line journey seems properly scary. Is that actual part of the European Divide route and with him having missed it does it mean he's technically missed the ITT? Or is it 'one or the other' route option there...
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

No Shaf, he didn't miss it, it is on the route and is the only fixed crossing option at that point. There's a non- mechanical ferry just upstream which is available on demand and relies on the current to drift across. Otherwise it's a 20km diversion to the nearest bridge. He said he'd come across something similar in France but the track was disused. This one is very much used and can be pretty scary when a train is coming.
He finished the route about an hour ago with an official time of 32 days 6 hours 20odd minutes. Unbelievable to have done nearly two Tour Divides in 16 days each. He commented that the Spanish section was by far the best riding of the trip, who knew?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

. He commented that the Spanish section was by far the best riding of the trip, who knew?
Well done him (phenomenal) and thanks for the updates again (read it other way round pls :smile: ). How much is the b&b at yours btw :grin:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

the Spanish section was by far the best riding of the trip,
Everyone knows the last few days, when you know you have done it , are the best days ..he would say Sweden if he did a reverse route :lol:
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

Incredible going…. 😳 I’d still be in Finland !
Boab

Post by Boab »

Last summer, ultra-endurance cyclist Angus Young from the UK set out to establish a competitive fastest known time on the European Divide Trail, which spans 7,800 kilometers (4,850 miles) between Norway and Spain. A little over a month after setting out from the continent’s northern reaches, he did exactly that. You can watch the full 20-minute film documenting his journey here…
The European Divide Trail: 7800km from Norway to Portugal (Video)
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.