Any foam roller folks on here?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Any foam roller folks on here?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Anyone been using for a long time? Thoughts?
Boab

Re: Any foam roller folks on here?

Post by Boab »

I have one, haven't used it much recently. Can be very painful to use, plus very boring. They do work though...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
redefined_cycles

Boab wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:31 pm I have one, haven't used it much recently. Can be very painful to use, plus very boring. They do work though...
Thanks Bob. I remember you mentioning em you see. Ordered, so lets see if I can get on top of quicker recoveries :-bd
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I used one for a few months when I was having IT band problems, worked well but definitely a torture device
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Make sure and get a really hard one Shaff :grin:
Definitely a good thing although doing your IT bands can be a bit sore.... I started with just a 10 second blast each, after a few weeks I could roll them a dozen times slowly without too much grimacing. Good for quads and calves too.
redefined_cycles

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:30 pm Make sure and get a really hard one Shaff :grin:
Definitely a good thing although doing your IT bands can be a bit sore.... I started with just a 10 second blast each, after a few weeks I could roll them a dozen times slowly without too much grimacing. Good for quads and calves too.
Yup, ordered. I've even told the missus that one day I'm gonna be hard like you... (she said, "I don't know who Phil is".
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Softy me...
Core muscles quite hard after 5 years of pilates :grin:
redefined_cycles

I used one for a few months when I was having IT band problems, worked well but definitely a torture device
Rich, thats what I've actually just about recovered from and don't wanna regress, now that I'm trying to pick up the mtb miles. Interesting that you managed it with the roller succesfully. I have been thinking of it for a long time :sad:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Save some money and just stab your legs with a fork. The effect is pretty much the same in terms of pain :-bd
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

Hell yes.
Because of some arthritis in my hip and consequent reduced joint-space I cant achieve that classic cyclists butt stretch position, my leg just wont bend like that so the only way I can stretch my butt muscle is to use various rollers and foam balls. I had the other hip replaced about 5 yrs ago and the build up to that was unbelievable pains in my leg caused by over-use in various muscles - a mass of over-compensation of muscles doing the jobs other muscles had forgotten how to. Foam roller use was the only thing that kept those pains in check and meant I was able to exercise enough to be able top present healthy tissue to the surgeon when it came for the chop.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Boab wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:31 pm I have one, haven't used it much recently. Can be very painful to use, plus very boring. They do work though...
^ this!

They're great. They hurt. But they work. But they hurt. So I don't use it. So I don't get better. So then I get desperate and use it. They work. I decide I'm always gonna use one in the future. I do not. Repeat.....
Mart

Post by Mart »

I used to but stopped as it was too sore (I had a really solid black foam version)
Would go back to it if I could find one more forgiving/softer
2924 miles per Gallon
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

I use one, mainly due to hip flexor issues. Bought this one:
Foam Roller 2 in 1 Foam Rollers 4 Piece Set for Deep Tissue Muscle Massage, FitBeast Trigger Point Foam Roller Massage for Painful Tight Muscles, Smooth Roller for Rehabilitation and two Massage Balls https://amzn.eu/d/eulskUU

Really good in that you get the hard outer roller, a softer foam one that stores inside the solid one and two balls. The to use the soft one on the hip flexors and lower back, the solid one on thighs, hamstrings, calves etc.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I quite like this bloke (as an online exercise guru - refreshing lack of ripped-ness, tattoos and massive facial hair or piercing's :wink:) and he seems to provide a lot of good quality information and guidance gratis. Anyhow, some stuff from someone who might know about it, foam rolling:

https://kettlebellsworkouts.com/foam-roller-exercises/

MM-on-POINT

Post by MM-on-POINT »

I use one, I have gotten over the pain of using it.
I can tell when I have neglected using it, first my right knee starts to ache a bit an then my Achilles feels tight and my glute get tight. This is all on the right leg where I have arthritis in my knee and hip.
Rolling really helps, the jury is still out on lower back rolling.
I also do a wall inversion stretch which is a whole leg stretch that you hold for as long as you like and it allows inflammatory fluids to move away from the muscles.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Just popped a post in classifieds if anyone reading this has a roller they want to clear.
redefined_cycles

Did a training ride yesterday and went out a bit harder than what I had thought. Left knee felt the pressure and Strava (from HR) data also confirmed I had done a tough effort. Left knee -the one I'd wanted the roller for in first place due to the ITB pain - was still in pain aftery shower so when I got chance I had a bit of rollering.

Anyway, sorted it right out Alhamdulillah... Must get doing it regularly, or at least after a tough enoigh ride.