Garmin Oregon 450 hints?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

godivatrailrider

Garmin Oregon 450 hints?

Post by godivatrailrider »

Hi,
I've owned a brilliant Oregon 450 for a long time... 10years+ ? It's superb. I got it for it's Geocaching ability when the kids were small and loved the treasure hunt.

I'm somewhat embarrassed to say I have literally, 5 mins ago, just discovered I can ( I hope) show upcoming elevation. :oops:

I've jiggered around with the data fields before but I must admit there's a number I don't really know what they're likely to tell me.
It'd be nice to have Turn maybe and there is a Turn --- so I'll see what that does.

Velocity Made Good? :???:
Glide Ratio?

Time to Next? / Distance to Next? Not so concerned about the Time but Distance to Next (what ? turn? ) might be useful...
Waypoint at Next ?

Is anyone an Oregon 450 guru?

The only thing that annoys the sh!t out of me is it remembers where you were when you turned it off, and doesn't just start from wherever you turn it on. So you can reset it, delete all the days data, turn it off, drive to the next destination, turn it on and it adds the straightline distance you've just covered to the days tally, necessitating you to reset it again before the ride.
I've got used to it, but would prefer if it didn't remember where you used to be.

Any other good tips.
Mine would be to use Panasonic Eneloops. I had 1 spare pair for my 3 days Fishguard trip, and they were quite long days.
whitestone

Re: Garmin Oregon 450 hints?

Post by whitestone »

godivatrailrider wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:09 pm Velocity Made Good? :???:
Glide Ratio?
Likely to be sailing or flying related.
godivatrailrider wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:09 pm
Time to Next? / Distance to Next? Not so concerned about the Time but Distance to Next (what ? turn? ) might be useful...
Waypoint at Next ?
More than likely to be to the next waypoint which you get on GPS "routes" rather than "tracks"
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry