Which side of the track are you?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slarge

Which side of the track are you?

Post by slarge »

One of the many ponderings whilst riding my bike was that I always seem to gravitate to riding on the right hand side of a track. I'm not sure if that makes me a closet left hander, a non Brit, or whether my brain is just wired that way....

Have you ever noticed which side of the tracks you ride, and why?

There's probably some deep seated meaning to this, but my ponderings aren't that deep. I'll await the psychoanalyst verdict.

Or are you a straight down the middle sort?
Shewie

Re: Which side of the track are you?

Post by Shewie »

Path of least resistance for me :grin:

I'll weave about for a smoother line
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Interesting. I've no real idea where I place myself. Maybe need to look at some pictures to see.

When I coached I was always interested in the differences between those folk who rode left foot forward and those who did the opposite. My none scientific research would suggest that perhaps 60% - 70% ride with their left foot leading, which perhaps seems at odds with the number of people who are right handed and therefor considered right side dominant?
May the bridges you burn light your way
slarge

Post by slarge »

Shewie wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:40 am Path of least resistance for me :grin:

Deep seated confusion then....
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

slarge wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:47 am
Shewie wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:40 am Path of least resistance for me :grin:

Deep seated confusion then....
Most definitely :grin:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I'll just weave about as terrain demands, though on a trail where I'm likely to meet pedestrians I'll stick to the left. I'll have to check which foot I tend to have forward when riding though it's probably my left.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Whichever side it is I always seem to end up in the deepest rut :sad:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

"Regular" on a bike and board.

I thought this thread was going to be about politics or sexuality or summat. Quite bizarre :???:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

On the right for me sLarge and a very good pondering indeed. Reasoning for me is that we're taught by Mohammed sallalahualayhiwasallam that everything clean and good is to/with the right and anything not so good is with the left. So, washing of the bottom (verging on compulsory as it's classed as almost/kindof a major sin having a dirty bottom/front.

Sorry, back to the path... So though I do try to ride on the right I generally gravitate to the left if there's a right of way issue as it feels naturally that everyone else will be coming on their left (I think this was initially by intention but). Thinking back to yesterdays ride which was in HR zone 160 most of the time so I never had much time to think or talk: the lads that closed in on me on a rough uphill track and I asked em whilst still behind me if it's, "ebikes, I'm super slow, or you're super fast". They answered, "not ebikes" and I tucked to my left to let em pass (they were having a breather or a think, at the top of the climb so I obviously wasn't doing too bad).

Then another chap that was doing some DHing, on I think the same trqck or another gnarly one. I had just about enough reaction time to point my finger left and tuck in to my left. So there you have it, it seems others ponder this same issue as much yourself :grin: (despite not having 2000 miles to think it out :lol: ).
slarge

Post by slarge »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:42 am "Regular" on a bike and board.

I thought this thread was going to be about politics or sexuality or summat. Quite bizarre :???:
There's some half innuendo in there, but I'm really not interested in other people's sexuality or politics - there's 2 subjects to steer well away from on the Internet.......

In ancient times, the theory is that we drive/ride on the left in order to joust/sword with the right. So if I ride on the right (given no constraints like people in the way), does that make me subversive?

I always lead with my left foot Stu. Right foot forward feels unnatural, but I know that I could train myself to do either (if I gave a sh1t).
faustus

Post by faustus »

Lead with the right (but fine with either), keep left if there's any sort of 'traffic' (other trail users) but otherwise entirely led by line choice
psling

Post by psling »

I swing both ways me :cool:
Lead with either foot too.
But mainly mount and dismount on the left (although not always).
Have been known to fall off in all directions... :shock: :lol:

Oh, and mainly push with the bike on the right.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

My dad taught me to ride in the late 60's. I can see it now, put your foot under the left pedal and lift it up, foot on top and off you go. My wife learned to start off with her right foot.

As for which side of a trail then it's whatever is easiest unless there's someone coming then it's the left side.
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

RIP wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:27 am Whichever side it is I always seem to end up in the deepest rut :sad:
Reg , that's me ! And I'm crap at riding in ruts ! Brain goes to sh!t ....
I ride where the trail looks best, but if in amongst other people , always on the left.
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

Path of least resistance/best traction.
Right foot forward.
Centre Left.
It's all the same in the dark. :-bd
Grubby little urchin.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Right hander
Track side whichever's the easiest
Left foot lead.

I don't know if it's just me but I much prefer left hand corners than right hand corners
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

Generally considered to be on and/or from the the wrong side of the tracks! :???: Right hander. Usually ride on the right side of a track unless the terrain demands otherwise or there is other traffic and lead with my left foot. (possibly due to an accident to the right knee some years ago)
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Whichever side has fewer overhanging nettles, brambles, dog rose, etc. On double track, I also find myself riding down the right hand side, more often than not. I also lead with my right foot, feels totally wrong with my left pointing forward. This might also be due to me being totally deaf in my right ear, so less chance of someone coming alongside of a chat on the wrong side...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I think I unclip in an unconventional way, pedal at the top of the stroke rather than the bottom
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

If both sides of a double track are equal riding wise I almost always find myself riding on the right. I too have previously pondered this and couldn't come up with an explanation.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

When there's a choice, which isn't very often, I ride on the right out of a sense of self preservation. I'm currently trying to train myself to unclip on the right as my left ankle is recovering from being sprained in a slimy concrete road/body incident a couple of weeks ago, it's surprisingly difficult.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Left track. Like my politics
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I start riding on the left as I assume that glaikit walkers will better react to this as that is the side of the road you ride on. In reality glaikit walkers always look the wrong way and always mover to your side of the track when they see you coming. I've also repeatedly come across people walking in the left of a track and when they hear you coming look over their left shoulder (i.e into the verge / ditch) whilst stepping into your path. One time this happened and I rode past the walker without them seeing me until I was in front.....

On a rough track, the right side is always smoothest. Always. I don't know why. The left side might look better but it never is.
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

fatbikephil wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:14 pm On a rough track, the right side is always smoothest. Always. I don't know why. The left side might look better but it never is.
Does this work if you ride the same track in the opposite direction ? :-S
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

godivatrailrider wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:59 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:14 pm On a rough track, the right side is always smoothest. Always. I don't know why. The left side might look better but it never is.
Does this work if you ride the same track in the opposite direction ? :-S
Err, OK mebbes not.... Think I'd better do further experimentation :???: