My BB200 Black Badge (training) Thread.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: My BB200 Black Badge (training) Thread.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

without soaking our boots
Those notions are generally dismissed quite quickly :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

BB200 2021 Strava info.JPG
BB200 2021 Strava info.JPG (21.71 KiB) Viewed 1235 times

Shaf, look at my moving time for the BB200 2021 compared with yours; I was well inside a Black time overall (and I thought I'd stopped unnecessarily for at least an hour of that, needing the occasional cry having been flat on my back with covid the week before the event).

I think you need to work on re-calibrating your concept of comfort and find a way to stay on the bike or at least keep walking whilst faffing.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Re gates here is my tactic - approach at max speed and brake as hard as possible to lose minimum time. Get caught in bike when dismounting and stumble into gate smashing shin into pedal. Try to lift hook only to discover the gate needs to be lifted to allow hook to be disengaged. Lay bike down, lift gate, un-latch, proceed through. Return to get bike, proceed through again, try to close gate whilst holding bike with one hand, realise you cant so throw bike to ground, close gate, scream in frustration, pick up bike, smash shin on pedal remounting. Proceed and repeat 50yds later....
Oh how I miss gates, not! I hadn't really thought about it until someone who did the group ride along the Spanish Coast to Coast route exclaimed "bloody hell a gate!" We'd been going 8 days and not seen a single one, one gate in 1,000km predominantly off road is good going in my book.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

BB200 2021 Strava info.JPG

Shaf, look at my moving time for the BB200 2021 compared with yours; I was well inside a Black time overall (and I thought I'd stopped unnecessarily for at least an hour of that, needing the occasional cry having been flat on my back with covid the week before the event).
Thanks Paul. That's really helpful with you being post-Covid (as I usually don't bother looking at others times of black badge holders as I'm way behind in both tech riding abilities and moving forward). Hopefully a ride near Harrogate today before the night shift and I'll have another bit of cycling in my legs.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Shaf, I think my time last year was around 23;30 and I walked pretty much every hill from about the 80km mark. I felt rough from the off, got cramp at about the 60km point and was physically sick later on in the “ride”. Maybe 3hrs total stopped time, hard to tell as my GPS failed at 100km but I’d 1hr30 stopped to then.

It’s basically not stopping unless you have to. So eat on the move, little and often, I.e. one bite from an energy bar or chocolate bar at a time when drink water to help it digest otherwise it will just sit in your stomach and you’ll feel bloated. Try and eat when you aren’t putting in a big effort so just after the top of a climb or before a descent so your guts aren’t stressed.

As above, you need to embrace the discomfort, use it as a driver to keep you moving
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Two walking examples, quite pleased with the left one on the Calderdale hike (no running allowed). Basically the 25 minutes was a loo stop (ladies always queue for ages!) and some navigation stops too. Happy days!

On the right, another walk/run. In the slow side but was our first ultra on foot, so paced ourselves. Had a longer sit down break half way through as there was a fire and we were chatting. Again, this was two people, so a bit more faff on stops etc (wifey won’t eat when she’s stops for loo :roll: ) and a stop to see the northern lights too, so I’m not complaining :-bd

Really boils down to not stopping, getting layers right and having easy access on/off (can you waterproof be accessible and can it go over your camelbak bag to save faff etc). Food into big freezer bags pre opened that can be consumed whilst moving
Attachments
6C2E5A18-8433-4642-AD3B-6CABB419985F.jpeg
6C2E5A18-8433-4642-AD3B-6CABB419985F.jpeg (132.92 KiB) Viewed 1202 times
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but in my view the key to going under 24 hours is to really want to go under 24 hours. All the advice in here is good stuff but above all else you have to believe you can do it and want to do it. Otherwise you'll find reasons why you can't/won't. I think you've taken a great step by putting it out there publicly which shows the want. Now grow some ego ;-)
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but in my view the key to going under 24 hours is to really want to go under 24 hours. All the advice in here is good stuff but above all else you have to believe you can do it and want to do it. Otherwise you'll find reasons why you can't/won't.
Most certainly this.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:16 pm I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this,
Kind of.

Complete agreement with your post.
Alpinum wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:51 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:38 pm [...] I probably won't but I'll try.[...]
Change this to; I probably will.

With help of all the fantastic suggestions prior, there's nothing to stop you from doing what you dream of, except yourself. Make sure your heart and mind are in the right spot.

Believe in yourself Shaf.
Obviously beeing physically prepared and conditions will help lots. But head and heart... keep it up Shaf. Should be interesting to see your progress in riding speed but also total average speed.
redefined_cycles

Yes Dave. Gian mentioned it (and it's also something we're taught by our Muhammed sallalahualayhiwasallam to remain positive and try your/our best).

So, since Gian said I need to change my mindset and I changed my intent to ensure I'm fully committed, I've been working at making enough time (without becoming broke by not working) to ride that darn lovely bike. Every ride I think I'm learning loads and the other day I realised that it's the full frame bag and not the harness that's been working for me previously.

In addition, I think my problem is when I get tired and afraid that sleep might overcome me (I've been known to sleep in the most unusual of places). So hopefully riding/moving a bit faster will ensure I'll not reach that dilemma until well into it.

God Willing (InshaAllah) I'll do it :smile: and give it my best shot...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

In addition, I think my problem is when I get tired and afraid that sleep might overcome me (I've been known to sleep in the most unusual of places). So hopefully riding/moving a bit faster will ensure I'll not reach that dilemma until well into it.
There's certainly some sense in the idea that the longer you're out there for, then the harder it becomes.
redefined_cycles

week 2/ride 2

23km in 2 hiur and 30 total time.
36 minutes of stopped time.
Forgot to say the last ride had about 20 seconds of stopped, removing needles/throns from my hands. Today I just let em sit in the gloves and itch a little.
Managed a bit of posties dismount but only just and didn't manage a posties remount!
Stoppage at gates was 11 seconds for the faster ones but 90 for the slowest awkward ones.

Saw some (what my app said) buzzards who were all talking to each other about me and screaming overhead!

Knackered... 1500 calories spent.
redefined_cycles

Week 2/Ride 3)

Managed to get in a 3rd ride this week. But also to ensure I'm giving it my beat shot I've been exploring some training plans. Still a little stuck as to how to have my Wahoo target the HR instead of 'power'. I've managed to change the settings in the training plan app (Todays Plan) to have it use HR to aim for.

Important to remember that I've only managed to start using a training plan after having gotten the second Wahoo (cheapest ever sold probably). £31 for the Wahoo... £14 monthly plan on Todays Plan which I've not set to auto renew. But will see how I get on. I also rehistered on the site Colin sughested and paid them £9 per every month too (seems straightforward to see how tired I am by just looking at the lines - free version but the paent is voluntary AFAIK)

Popped both devices on the bars but for the big day I'll just be using the one and the other as spare.

It told me to target power but without a PM on Butcher (the bike) and enough faffing already done to set it up this far. Plus getitng a specific training plan from the lovely folks at Todays Plan (based on an mtb ride of 300km as the target goal) included in the faffing, I thought I'd translate the power numbers to my HR strap. Felt satisfying though there was a few times I thought my head might blow from the heat and efforts.

Three proper gates but also 3 more that I had to jump, with a bit of HAB on some walking paths as I'd got lost. Met the farmer towards the end of the track and apologised. He was ok with it but reminded me that I should be thankful that the dog wasn't out! He'd have had my leg he told me...

As you can see it was a successful day (Alhamdulillah)...
2 minutes of paused time in total. Thanks so much for all the constructive feedback. You're all ace (you too in the corner) and it's much appreciated.

£54 spent in total bu hopefully a good investment to ensure I don't keep Dee and Stu waiting by being last again (or second to last).

:-bd

60% mtb but the problem was rhat it was familiar(ish) trails until I decided to explore a new section of bridleway which was marked on the gate and I was trying to shorten the route to get home quick (life).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That's looking better Shaf :-bd
redefined_cycles

Thanks Stu. I think another difference (as well as following a training plan and being in a rush) was that I didn't have the 'stopped time' being shown in the corner.

Interesting app Colin shared. Intervals ICU. I just need to keep the purple line above the blue line and it suggests I'm making progress :smile:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

That's a lot of red. Remember not to be pushing too hard, too often, and that fatigue drops faster than fitness so a little recovery time is a GOOD thing.
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:39 am That's a lot of red. Remember not to be pushing too hard, too often, and that fatigue drops faster than fitness so a little recovery time is a GOOD thing.
Yes. I wondered about them too Colin. Its a 'year view' and them reds a 240 miler (Aafia Siddiqui Way if anyone is interested) I've done last month and in December (split over 2 days).

Seems like I'm gonna have to push myself painfully to keep my purple line in the right place. Just what the doctor ordered ta Colin.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:39 am That's a lot of red. Remember not to be pushing too hard, too often, and that fatigue drops faster than fitness so a little recovery time is a GOOD thing.
Yes and no regarding the red, there's a six week gap between the two red sections. Remember that the fatigue line is more volatile as it's only averaged over seven days a so a hard ride (relative to recent activity levels) will push it into the red. That first section of red is from a very low level (probably due to lack of historical data at that point) so even a moderate ride will look "bad".

Shaf, generally you want three to four weeks of increasing load (TSS, whatever you want to call it) then a week of easier riding/load. Rinse and repeat. Remember that you actually get fitter/stronger during the recovery parts of the cycle. The final week or two before your event, in this case the BB200, should be tapering where you decrease the volume but not the intensity. It may not be titularly accurate in your case but get Joe Friel's "Fast after Fifty" book, lots of good info in there.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Thanks for that. Yes, I managed to read a little via the link on the intervals website. I shall keep slogging away with a bit of structure. :-bd
redefined_cycles

Week 3/ Ride 1
Managed to get mysef to a place near/in the Peaks yesterday. When I saw the notice for Bradfield Parish Council I knew I was at the right place. Didn't follow my training computer accurately as it had been 35 degrees on the drive there and now about 28c. Hence didn't want to pop my clogs from 'sudden cardiac death' or anything.

So I did 2 units of prayers - on a 24H BB200 effort I'd be doing 5 units split into 3 stops in total as I'd combine which I did yesterday - stopped at 2 cairns to take a quick pic. Didn't have many gates, maybe just 3 or 4 and not overly complicated or seized.

As I was riding the main track I've always eyed up near Wigtwizl (but never been as it ends at a footpath on OS) I had a moment where I thought to make the ablution on the bike. Managed a quart but the rest I had to stop for (2 or 3 minutes total time to make ablution if you're organised). Also realised that carrying less water for me wasn't an option as I use it (to wash after) for a wee as well as for ablutions.

Drank about 3 litres in total and there was enough bridleway, nettles and hills to make it a productive training ride. On an enjoyable scale it was an 11/10 as it's always the pitch black rides that always leave me a little apprehensive but you get more thrill for less gnarl...

Oh, the maths. I got it at [27.5km divided by 182 minutes, time that by 60 mins =] 9.3km/H. So hopefully not too bad considering...

The cairns, though there was another but that was more a proper headstone (whatever) and I thought two pics of cairns was enough. Only one shown in OS AFAIR.

The bridleway which was interesting to ride as it seemed to have me sliding sideways with the camber. Constantly trying to adjust onto higher ground and had me thinking about semi fat tires. Maybe I need to swap to some 2.5 or 2.5 up back! That's the same bridleway that I've looked at for years but nwver explored due the FP at the end. So felt an achievement in itself and the ride back was ace too...

From my few events with Dark & White and their associated emails, when I saw the name 'Bradfield' I knew I was in for some interesting climbs...

Now just to ensure I keep on top the other few rides for the week. Took a quick peak at ICU intervals and my purple line is once again popping over the blue... Alhamdulillah...
redefined_cycles

Week3/Ride 2

Half an hour stopping time from a few gates, making ablution and ticking off 2 sets of prayers. Lovely Pennine Bridleway that intersected with the MTL so never been on these sections before I think.

Lessons learnt... just keep riding within my limits and keep training I suppose. About 1500 calories used and it seems the waiste size might be starting to get smaller.

Ooo, and purple line above the blue too. So hopefully both training apps are agreeing that I'm positively training right.

slarge

Post by slarge »

All that sounds like good progress Shaf.
If the waist size is dropping and you are feeling fitter you are definitely heading in the right direction.

Keep plugging away, and remember that fitness and strength seems to take a while to build, and half the time to lose (anecdotally). So keep going, but the rest/recovery between rides is also key. (That's why I suggested 5 days of riding per week, to give 2 days of recovery).

Just getting out is progress in itself. (Whilst also keeping home life happy)
redefined_cycles

All that sounds like good progress Shaf.
If the waist size is dropping and you are feeling fitter you are definitely heading in the right direction.

Keep plugging away, and remember that fitness and strength seems to take a while to build, and half the time to lose (anecdotally). So keep going, but the rest/recovery between rides is also key. (That's why I suggested 5 days of riding per week, to give 2 days of recovery).

Just getting out is progress in itself. (Whilst also keeping home life happy)
Nice1 Steven. Yes definitely feels like progress and I do keep aiming for that 5 days marker but so far the 3 days have an achievement getting in...

Calorie counting is really helping too :smile:
redefined_cycles

Week 3/ Ride 3

Technically it's ride 4 of the week but the last ride was just a nice chilled out one near Harrogate that had too many tarmac lanes. I'd decided to keep it a mellow 'no targets' ride but still managed to get some ST in and just about in the 9kmh target.

Anyway, yesterday I managed an attempt to get to the PBW from Castleton. Sadly time was running short and I fancied getting home earlier than 3am, so cut it short. Not enough ST but plenty of steep climbs to make up for it. The new (to me) Wildcat bag was lovely and I think I'll dedicate it to carrying the calories!

Highlights of these last 2 rides was:

Seeing the bulls in the pitch black on the Nidderdale Way who didn't budge but the cows all fled, who I came across later.

The cable cars up at Matlock yesterday and the nice lady that filled up my water bladdr and explained what they were.

Finding the correct BW on the Nidderdale Way so not having to trespass (sorry) after becoming confused about the path.

Think I'm making progress Alhamdulillah...
redefined_cycles

Oh... and having a first gen Wildcat bag that's been hardly used it seems...