Eat my shorts

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

robsmuddygloves

Eat my shorts

Post by robsmuddygloves »

Hi all, I'm after recommendations for a new pair of shorts. As a preface, I don't wear bibs or padded shorts, feels like I'm wearing a nappy. My endura hummvee 2 shorts, which have lasted nearly 10 years, are starting to look a little worse for wear, though have served me well. Very hard wearing and comfy. However, I am a slim lad, some would say skinny, and they do look a little voluminous on me. Ideally I want a similar short, but more fitted? Any suggestions? Cheers.
gairym

Re: Eat my shorts

Post by gairym »

I've only worn these for the last decade or so and I have no intention of buying anything else any time soon.....

https://www.nzoactive.com/dobies/

The site mentions that they are 'lightly padded' but I've had ~6 pairs now and unless they've changed they're not padded.

They have thicker fabric in the crotch area but until reading that on their site whilst looking up the link for you I had never considered it might be regarded as 'padding'.

Super comfy and look great and my only complaint would be that it doesn't mention anywhere that they're not suitable for long sessions of angle grinding but I can forgive one melted crotch incident as it was, arguably, at least partially my fault.....
jameso

Post by jameso »

https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/kalf/ ... e=63190118

These are great. Slim fit, minimal, a bit of stretch, comfy. The clasp above the zip isn't ideal compared to a popstud but overall they're my fave shorts for long rides on or off-road. I also don't bother with padded shorts under them, just suitable boxers.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As opposed to unsuitable ones ...

May the bridges you burn light your way
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Quechua walking shorts from Decathlon.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-lon ... 68&c=BLACK
slarge

Post by slarge »

I have some shorts if you're hungry. 1 ride old. Sent with hazardous goods stickers....
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Crikey, how much shorts are pretty slim fitting, and lovely
robsmuddygloves

Post by robsmuddygloves »

slarge wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:38 pm I have some shorts if you're hungry. 1 ride old. Sent with hazardous goods stickers....
:lol: I’m always hungry. My metabolism is far faster than me on my bike. :oops: Some great suggestions, many thanks!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The see-through lycra hot pants I wore for a while on the TNR were very comfy. In fact so comfy, that I appear to have fallen asleep.

May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:34 pm As opposed to unsuitable ones ...
Was about to post an example of unsuitable boxers but it won't be good for my google history or forum etiquette

Then again after that ^ the bar is already rather low!
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

The Endura single track are a closer cut than the hummvees. The arse area has zero resistance to water though as you rapidly discover when going through a ford
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

I'm not keen on padded shorts anymore either. Comfy to start with, then it all gets a bit too sweaty around the meat n' two veg...

Comfiest thing I've found to ride in is Ronhill Tracksters with nothing underneath, perfect for the winter but not so good in warmer weather. Then I had a lightbulb moment a couple of months ago (why did it take so long? :roll: , I asked my mother-in-law, who is a dressmaker, to turn a pair into shorts. Perfect! Now I have cool legs and a comfy arse, they are cheapish and dry in seconds if they get wet. :-bd