Degreaser and brushes

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Degreaser and brushes

Post by Boab »

I've got a couple of part worn cassettes and chains that I need to clean. I'm after some degreaser, as I'm all out. Cycling specific stuff seems spendy, and I'm pretty sure any old engine degreaser will do the same job. Anyone got any recommendations of a brand to use, before I go and buy 5L of GUNK off eBay...?

I could also use some brushes, as I've been using an old knackered scrubbing brush, but it's no use for getting in between sprockets. I see that Merlin have the Muc-Off 5 Cleaning Brush Set for £14.99 which is 57% off RRP. Any good, or can I get similar for cheaper...?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Degreaser and brushes

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I use the no nonsense stuff* from ScrewFix. Works as well as owt else and about a tenner for 5L.

*may not actualy be called that but it's something similar.
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I tend to use gunk just 'cos they sell it in Halfords but I've used other similar stuff from local car parts shops. Water based stuff is crap basically - never managed to get it to shift oily gunge
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I always try and get the orange stuff. In part because I imagine (don't know) it's re-using something that otherwise would be waste but mostly because it smells nice :oops:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

TBH I mostly just use washing up liquid and an old toothbrush. Maybe my kit isn't getting as greasy as some others?
Boab

Post by Boab »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:02 am I use the no nonsense stuff* from ScrewFix. Works as well as owt else and about a tenner for 5L.

Looks like it is called that... 😂 Means I don't have to use FleaBay either. 👍

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:38 am I always try and get the orange stuff. In part because I imagine (don't know) it's re-using something that otherwise would be waste but mostly because it smells nice :oops:
Citrus degreaser...? I used some Finish Line Citrus stuff years ago, it was proper poor show...
ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:48 am TBH I mostly just use washing up liquid and an old toothbrush. Maybe my kit isn't getting as greasy as some others?
I let my stuff get Proper Clarty™, plus we use eco stuff in the house, so I need something properly nasty...

Thanks all.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Unless Muc-off have a sale on Planet X (jobsworth) do a very similar range of degreasers/brushes/etc a fair bit cheaper and just as good. The silicone spray is great and restoring the black finish on car bumpers too... :-bd
Disco

Post by Disco »

The brush set from Wilko is fine. I pick up some MUC OFF from there when I need it.
jobro

Post by jobro »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: ↑Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:02 am
I use the no nonsense stuff* from ScrewFix. Works as well as owt else and about a tenner for 5L.

Used the same for a few years now. Works efficiently, so is probably destroying the planet :shock:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

jobro wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:23 pm
Used the same for a few years now. Works efficiently, so is probably destroying the planet :shock:
Nah, it's paraffin based which is derived from crude oil which comes out of the ground, so we are just putting back what we took out!

Seriously the dilution levels (and small amount you need) means it will have little effect on anything beyond your garden. I've been using it for years and my grass still grows like crazy...