The (almost, kindof) perfect down/synthetic jacket and spork/fork?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

The (almost, kindof) perfect down/synthetic jacket and spork/fork?

Post by redefined_cycles »

So... I thought the PHD was the one. So snug and packable and you can just squish it down to a couple of tennis balls or 3. But alas it wasn't the one for me.

Also, the ti spork I had. Juat can't figure it out as to where I put it. Been using my little mans (Abdurrahman - try to say it :-bd ) plastic version and its just not the same. Plannig to get us both an upgrade as he loves his plastic one but am sure he'd love a proper version better.

Jacket dimensions need to be 'snug' and fully armed but packable and warm enough with a decent fill of insulation. Something like the Rab (I forget the name of what I have on long term loan off one of the BBers who've bought full shares in it :-bd ) I have but that's 400g and carrying it through mid summer seems a bit fruitless and massive useage of space. I know Reg bought that super duper expensive one but I doubt I could afford full price of £350 or whatever they are now...

What's your go to spork/foon and which jacket am I after. During deep summer I use as James said once to keep the beverages cool... :smile:
ScotRoutes

Re: The (almost, kindof) perfect down/synthetic jacket and spork/fork?

Post by ScotRoutes »

My insulated jacket of choice for many years has been the Montane Prism. Currently I also have an Endura Flipjack (also synthetic) which is working out well.

What problem did you have with your current spork? I reckon they're all much the same, though the folding one I have is a bit short for eating out of ready-meal bags so I bought a longer-handled one too.
psling

Post by psling »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:48 am What's your go to spork/foon and which jacket am I after. During deep summer I use as James said once to keep the beverages cool... :smile:
I can't get on with sporks, they're neither one thing nor the other to me. I use a long-handled spoon, long handled to get to the bottom of the bag (container) and spoon to get the last bits of food out :grin: I have a ti one and a bamboo one.

The Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer is a pretty good down jacket, the Montane Prism is a popular synthetic jacket.
I have a Barbour synthetic down jacket that is great, the filling is just like down; bought it during a trip when I was freezing cold and wet after a long downhill on the bike and I was waiting for friends in Hay on Wye and had nothing warm and dry to put on. I would never have dreamed of looking at Barbour for that type of jacket but it was what was available and is probably one of my best buys!
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:01 am My insulated jacket of choice for many years has been the Montane Prism. Currently I also have an Endura Flipjack (also synthetic) which is working out well.

What problem did you have with your current spork? I reckon they're all much the same, though the folding one I have is a bit short for eating out of ready-meal bags so I bought a longer-handled one too.
I was almost perfect I think. But now you mention it, yes, a bit short and it doesn't find itself once lost :o
redefined_cycles

Silly queation probably but is there something similar to the prism but in gold insulation (assuming that would lose weight/bulk for the same warmth etc)...
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I just use the Decathlon synthetic jackets that (IIRC) JamesO recommended somewhere else once.

Not particularly heavy, maybe a touch bulky compared to equivalent down. However, to me, it's the value equation where they trump most other stuff. £30 or £40 and it keeps me toasty, shrugs off moisture, I don't "worry" or even particularly care how much of a battering it gets and then just bung it in a machine for a refresh. I've been mildly amazed at how warm they are. Stocks and supply look a little buggered. Oh, and they do a gilet / vest.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/trek-100- ... 98&c=BLACK

Image Handsome beast :oops:

Otherwise the other down stuff I use a lot is a (cheap in the sales) uniqlo vest. Packs very small and again, given the price, I'm relaxed about using it in whatever conditions, ramming it into the bottom nook or cranny etc etc.

https://www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/product/me ... 43319.html

Same sort of reasoning behind my fondness for Outdry jackets. Most other things by comparison seem much less durable and far more expensive.

HYOH :cool:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

TBH I reckon they're all much of a muchness. Just do a Google search for Primaloft Gold jackets and check out a few weights/features until you find the right mix.

The Prism has a decent hood and a couple of reflective patches on the back. I've never weighed it but it's generally been warm enough and I've used it to supplement my sleeping bag/quilt on occasion too. Mine have put up with a bit of abuse and I've never really been concerned that the shell fabric was too thin/lightweight.
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

psling wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:04 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:48 am What's your go to spork/foon and which jacket am I after. During deep summer I use as James said once to keep the beverages cool... :smile:
I can't get on with sporks, they're neither one thing nor the other to me. I use a long-handled spoon, long handled to get to the bottom of the bag (container) and spoon to get the last bits of food out :grin: I have a ti one and a bamboo one.

The Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer is a pretty good down jacket,
Pretty much the same as Psling said above. I stopped using sporks years ago because they're a very poor spoon and a fairy useless fork unhappily forced together; a long handled Ti spoon is perfect for me. I use my Ghost Whisperer jacket for three seasons and can't fault it when used above freezing.

Cheers, Michael.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Finistere jacket (synthetic)
Aldi fork one end spoon the other pulls apart to make a knife . Plastic and not long enough but weight weenie heaven ( have a spare if you want
.Abdurrahman - try to say it :-bd
Easy hello mini redefined cycles pleased to meet you :-bd
I can actually say it but I blame his Abu :lol:
redefined_cycles

Lazarus wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:42 pm Finistere jacket (synthetic)
Aldi fork one end spoon the other pulls apart to make a knife . Plastic and not long enough but weight weenie heaven ( have a spare if you want
.Abdurrahman - try to say it :-bd
Easy hello mini redefined cycles pleased to meet you :-bd
I can actually say it but I blame his Abu :lol:
:lol: we did it on purpose Jon cos if we'd hyphenated it then it suddenly gets converted to (actually) half the name. Finistere... Will look at that too.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I have been using a Finisterre synthetic jacket and gilet for over a decade, the have once repaired my jacket after some holes appeared.
I also bought a Uniqlo down jacket for <£25 in z sale that has been excellent. As said above happy to abuse it. After the purchase I googled it and it was well reviewed.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Long handled spoon fan here. The Alfa from S2S is nice (not that these things are nice in an exciting type way).

Jackets I've had a few but then again, too few to mention .... but I'm dead impressed with one I picked up in Lidl for a tenner. Warm enough, packs well, weighs nowt and the down is certified.
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Arcteryx Nuclei is pricey but a worth while investment, packs small, warm and still looks new after ten or so years :-bd
redefined_cycles

Alfa s2s... it has a carabiner and only 12g and it's deep-capable. That's the one for me Stu thanks...
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

I've been using one of the Endura GV500 jackets for a short while. Primaloft gold, packs into its own pocket, weights 250g and does what it's supposed to do.

The dropped tail helps keep my arse warm if I choose to wear it while sleeping somewhere draughty. It probably helps elevate arse temperature on the bike too but I don't recall that ever being a problem.
Al

Post by Al »

This if I’m out overnight-
Super warm, packs tiny
https://www.trekitt.co.uk/35983/product ... refly.aspx
benp1

Post by benp1 »

My favourite synthetic jacket is no longer made sadly, the berghaus hypertherm

Shaf, have a look at OMM. They use the latest gold insulation, I have a rotor vest and it's ace. It's 12g heavier than my bear bones gilet!
redefined_cycles

benp1 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:23 pm My favourite synthetic jacket is no longer made sadly, the berghaus hypertherm

Shaf, have a look at OMM. They use the latest gold insulation, I have a rotor vest and it's ace. It's 12g heavier than my bear bones gilet!
Thanks Ben. I kmow it's me being silly but I always looked at OMM as being for them really hard folks like Lael W and the likes. I know Karl has one too so that follows my theory (correct the grammar/quote as appropriate).

I think after looking at the Prism I narrowed it down to this https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/nano-puff-hoody/ but maybe I'll take a few more grams off without a hood as it's more for 2 - 3 seasons and the down Rab jacket can continue being used for winter.

Decisions decisions (and saving up cash) but at least the spoon is cheap enoigh. Might get two... Might even dangle it from its karabiner on the bb200 (if I get in) from my saddlebag :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

Nanopuff at £155 is a great pick. Primaloft Gold is :-bd

I have a Ghost Whisperer down jacket, was cheap via a PSA on here. It's light, compact and water-resistant but it's not that warm, as I should expect for such minimal fill. good for 3 seasons UK use though.
I like the Montane kit, got a Prism gilet that's been useful over the years and for a synthetic jacket I went for the Fireball jacket to save some weight over the Prism. It's just so reliably warm in any weather. Pack size is the problem though, standard down vs synthetic pros and cons really.

My preferred system is a really minimal synthetic gilet like the Endura Pro F260 or whatever it's called plus a light packable down jacket like the ME Ghost Whisperer or synthetic equiv. I rarely ride in both but often use the gilet, esp under a waterporrof for bad weather. I'll layer up both gilet and jacket in the evenings and have worn a damp gilet under the down jacket, with the jacket zip half open the warmth generated has helped the synth layer dry pretty quickly.

I take the Fireball jacket instead of the ME GW if I think wet weather is a cert and can fit it all in, not bothered by the weight difference when it comes down to staying warm.

Sporks - I have a few plastic ones and a Ti one. They're better than a stick. I quite like chopsticks too. Haven't tried using twigs as chopsticks yet.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Not sure about that exact jacket, but just be aware that Patagonia stuff is often cut quite boxy. They're made for the US market

UK and european brands tend to offer a better cut (although Paramo and the likes excluded :-) )

I research things fairly thoroughly before buying something, jackets and insulation included, but the reality is that you won't notice 50g of jacket weight and you will notice whether you're cold or not. I buy something really light and then overpack on food which negates all the savings!
redefined_cycles

Thanks for the pointer of Patagonia being really boxy. I noticed that with the jacket I bought on here and was hoping I'd just go a size or 2 smaller. But then it might not be long enough.. :???: Wonder why they make em boxy for the US market. Is it the amount of burgers they (assume they) eat :smile:
Disco

Post by Disco »

https://www.trekitt.co.uk/clothing/jack ... ack__38300 Montane prism £78 and also further 10% using Sale10