Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Don't try this at home kids ...

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Re: Don't try this at home kids ...

Post by ScotRoutes »

Scary. TBH I reckon the scariest bit would be the slowing down.

However, I'd like to know how folk come up with "official record" challenges like this. I mean, can you just invent any record challenge regardless of how many folk have / haven't tried it or even thought of it previously?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Sounds like a load of rubbish TBH. Our Guy (Martin) actually had a bike/frame modified by Rourke (I think that's who he went to) and a specific drivetrain to actually pedal at the higher speeds. Then when they let go of the truck he was slipstreaming he actually pedalled to gain the record.

Maybe it's time they just scrapped the whole Guinness thing...
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Shaf' I think the difference is that this is a 'standard' bike?
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:20 am Shaf' I think the difference is that this is a 'standard' bike?
Aha. Yes... I see (maybe :smile: ).
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:44 am However, I'd like to know how folk come up with "official record" challenges like this. I mean, can you just invent any record challenge regardless of how many folk have / haven't tried it or even thought of it previously?
GWR set rules for things like this and will usually say to have to do it like an existing one if one exists. I have a GWR for..... Drum roll..... Organising the world's largest didgeridoo ensemble :-bd https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/wo ... o-ensemble

GWR said it had to be done in certain ways, with scored music, certain length of time and to break the existing Austrian record. I can't remember what was suggested originally to them, but they came back saying it had to be done that way.

Back on topic; I thought Guy Martin's was a better record than just being dragged as fast as you dare, though I bet this one was bloody terrifying.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Moder-dye wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:14 pm
GWR said it had to be done in certain ways, with scored music, certain length of time and to break the existing Austrian record. I can't remember what was suggested originally to them, but they came back saying it had to be done that way.

Breaking an existing record, I sort of get but who was the first to set that record and who decides what should and shouldn't be a new challenge?
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Yeh, I know what you're saying, but the answer is basically GWR decide if they're interested and want your 'achievement' in 'thier club'. Some are obviously for impressive feats , some just quirky things.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Moder-dye wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:14 pm I have a GWR for..... Drum roll..... Organising the world's largest didgeridoo ensemble :-bd https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/wo ... o-ensemble
:-bd Thats far more impressive than getting dragged behind a motorbike at 130mph. I can't imagine the noise that must have made - maybe I can but I bet it was fab!
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Yeh was quite a racket, but great fun for everyone involved. Had sections in the pitch of c, e and g, playing a rhythm seperately and then coming together with clap sticks, over and over for 5 minutes. Just a bit of fun for at the festival, but a GWR and unbroken still :lol: