iPhone (the did you know this…)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

voodoo_simon

iPhone (the did you know this…)

Post by voodoo_simon »

Right, sounds like I’m spamming but thought a few would appreciate this given how well the wildlife thread works

Take a picture of a plant and your iPhone will identify it.

Take picture
Go to your gallery and look at said picture
Click on the new style info button (I is in a circle with a star)
Then click on the little logo that appears on the flower
redefined_cycles

Re: iPhone (the did you know this…)

Post by redefined_cycles »

voodoo_simon wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:54 pm Right, sounds like I’m spamming but thought a few would appreciate this given how well the wildlife thread works

Take a picture of a plant and your iPhone will identify it.

Take picture
Go to your gallery and look at said picture
Click on the new style info button (I is in a circle with a star)
Then click on the little logo that appears on the flower
That's amazing. I was gonna ask if it does the same with birds but it's pointless for me as they never really hand around... Looking forward to the new 'wild flowers' thread to be soon opened by some keen iPhone'r
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Isn't that the same as a Google Lens reverse image search or is this something particular to flowers?
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:59 pm I was gonna ask if it does the same with birds but it's pointless for me as they never really hand around...
Shaf, you may want to give the app BirdNET a try.
With that you can let the app listen to any bird making a noise and have it tell you what species it is. Of course birds need to be chirping and what not and the surrounding somewhat quiet-ish, but works amazingly well.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Ok, for the sake of balance, here's an Android tip...

Can't be sure if it's peculiar to Motorola phones or not but, if you need to turn on the torch, you can either go through the menus/UI to do this, or - wait for it - just shake the phone, to turn the torch on or off.

I accidentally discovered this, whilst running across the room to rescue some cake from my dog.

Please give this a try, and report back, so we know which phones do this
redefined_cycles

Alpinum wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:30 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:59 pm I was gonna ask if it does the same with birds but it's pointless for me as they never really hand around...
With that you can let the app listen to any bird making a noise and have it tell you what species it is. Of course birds need to be chirping and what not and the surrounding somewhat quiet-ish, but works amazingly well.
Wow. Nice one Gian...
redefined_cycles

belugabob wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:51 pm Ok, for the sake of balance, here's an Android tip...

Can't be sure if it's peculiar to Motorola phones or not but, if you need to turn on the torch, you can either go through the menus/UI to do this, or - wait for it - just shake the phone, to turn the torch on or off.

I accidentally discovered this, whilst running across the room to rescue some cake from my dog.

Please give this a try, and report back, so we know which phones do this
Some phones. Might be something to do with the operating system as missus' galaxy s6 did this and I think my s7 (or was that hers). Also seen it on a motorola but on the s8 and s9 it doesn't work. Must've been an operating system thingy...
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:29 pm Isn't that the same as a Google Lens reverse image search or is this something particular to flowers?
Similar but it’s quicker/easier with the iPhone (not that google reverse is difficult to use). Just for plants as far as I’m aware.

Used it today looking at all the wild plants - seemed accurate enough to me :-bd
Alpinum wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:30 pm [quote=redefined_cycles post_id=291276 time=<a href="tel:1656097156">1656097156</a> user_id=4248]
I was gonna ask if it does the same with birds but it's pointless for me as they never really hand around...
[/quote]

Ta, I’ve down loaded that
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Oh, by the Gentle Breath of the Baby Jebuz, my wild flower patch is full of triffids .... aaaaaaaaargh.

Not really. Sunflowers. But weird ones.
I'm just going outside ...
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I’ve reluctantly started using Mrs B’s old iPhone after years of android, so will be out on our lazy git/wildflower/weed lawn later.
My Huawei would take group pics remotely if you posed and waved your hand.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Much amusement to voodoo-daughter and myself
Attachments
BEDFB5C2-E638-4B17-9E32-09072D3DE79B.jpeg
BEDFB5C2-E638-4B17-9E32-09072D3DE79B.jpeg (147.37 KiB) Viewed 503 times