Geometry sizing advice

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Geometry sizing advice

Post by ootini »

I'm not sure how wise asking this question is, but its a curiosity. I currently ride a Pinnacle Arkose D2 and love it. It fits very nicely, like a broken in shoe. For various reasons, I want a Salsa Cutthroat, not necessarily as a replacement for the Arkose, but to compliment it, for now.

I'm trying to understand which size Cutthroat would be align with the current Arkose, and whether changing sizes, in certain elements of the geometry would be a good or bad thing.

The screenshot below shows a comparison if my Arkose as the 'control', and a 56 and 58 Cutthroat for consideration. I've not ridden either, but will make sure to before purchase. Gut feeling tells me the 56 is the one, but wanted to ask how much bigger the 58 would feel.

Alpinum

Re: Geometry sizing advice

Post by Alpinum »

ootini wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:24 am I've not ridden either, but will make sure to before purchase. Gut feeling tells me the 56 is the one, but wanted to ask how much bigger the 58 would feel.
Doesn't seem you're in a hurry to get one, so best advice would be to invest in time and effort of getting the possibilty to ride (or sit on) both sizes.
due

Post by due »

As above obvious answer would be to try them out. I will say though that when I got a Fargo I struggled with drop bars on such a big stack, I just found it odd having them (what felt like) directly in front of me - definitely prefer a bit of drop to the hoods.

How much seatpost do you have showing on your Arkose? What would happen if you lost 6cm of that in terms of a seatpack etc?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd go 56cm
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

56 looks considerably closer - one for sale in classifieds at a very good price

However at that money and given your uncertainty i would want to try it first

might help of you say what size you are

I ride a 56 road bike and have ridden my mates 58
its ok ish but is also obviously a bit big in the frame
given I assume you want some offroad use i think smaller ' chuckable is always better if you are on the cusp [ as i often am between medium and large]
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:29 am I'd go 56cm
Me too. You can make a small bike bigger (to a limited extent) with a longer stem and lay back seat post, but you cant make a bike that is too big smaller, unless it comes with a long term, which it wont.
I'm just going outside ...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

There is probably enough differences in those numbers to make a difference whichever size you go for (FLV's one for sale is a 58, I keep looking at the ad!) so Alpinums advice to blag a shot of one is probably your best bet given the amount of money involved. I guess keep pedaling will be your nearest chance of that?
FLV

Post by FLV »

I have a 56 Arkose and a 58 Cutthroat*. Cutthroat is certainly a fair bit bigger and therefore has a shorter stem and stubby ish seatpost. I'm not a particularly flexible old fart though so I wanted the taller front end of the 58.

*I also have a cutthroat for sale if you want a spin round the block on it, I am in glossop and obviously only have a 58 you could try. (Sorry, didnt mean to make my reply an advert!)
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I keep looking at the ad!
Me too and yet i still keep forgetting its too big for me :oops:

Great price someone should bite his arm off for that bike
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

TheBrownDog wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:49 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:29 am I'd go 56cm
Me too. You can make a small bike bigger (to a limited extent) with a longer stem and lay back seat post, but you cant make a bike that is too big smaller, unless it comes with a long term, which it wont.
Hmmm... both, making a bike larger or smaller will have an effect on handling and fit in ways that will not always suit the bike's original feel. For better or worse...

I've been happier with larger frames (size L, more towards 58 cm) at 182 cm and funky monkey.

With the mentioned options, definately go and sit on some/have a quick spin. Make sure to keep an eye on crank length, saddle, shoes and pedals involved. These details too are part of how tall a feels/is.

445 mm chainstays :o
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:43 am 56 looks considerably closer - one for sale in classifieds at a very good price
Have you got a link to the post please, I can only find a 58
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I was wrong its a 58 Sorry for the misleading info
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:58 pm I was wrong its a 58 Sorry for the misleading info
Damn, got a bit excited then :grin:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Try them if possible. I think Stuart's right that the 56 may be the better choice based on you fitting the Arkose M well. The Arkose and Cutthroat are different bikes for different uses and you'll fit to them differently so it's got to be your call.
Reach difference of +/-5mm is nothing so I'd not worry much about that. I'd be most interested in where the saddle and bars end up and whether you feel in the right place, IE how balanced or well weighted does it feel to ride as either a road-ish bike on easy fast surfaces or a drop bar MTB on single-track. The front-centre and stack can influence that a fair bit. It's the kind of bike that 2 people could set up quite differently and both be happy with.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I would usually agree with the advice re: a smaller frame being easier to make fit than a bigger one.

However, my experience of personally intolerable levels of toe-lap with a medium Camino v2 was only solved by a bigger frame (Goldrush large).

It might have been solved with a large Camino but other factors prevented that. My gut feel is just that with these types of bike fit is a little bit more important than with your average (more forgiving?) MTB.

I admit my sample size is tiny, toe-lap has many factors and lots of others are tone-deaf to it (😉) and there are many happy Camino riders out there.