RWGPS fill in the map challange.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

RWGPS fill in the map challange.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just had an email from RWGPS about a collaboration they're running with Bikepacking.com .... the idea (in basic terms) is to submit your favourite local overnighter route / spot for the chance to win prizes. Perhaps weirdly, my initial and continuing thought is 'you can bugger off' because there's not a chance I'm going to openly share my favourite spots on the internet in the hope I might win a pair of straps or a buff - especially as the real goal is to make RWGPS more profit. For those less cynical here's a link :wink:

https://bikepacking.com/plog/fill-in-the-map-2022/
May the bridges you burn light your way
The Cumbrian

Re: RWGP fill in the map challange.

Post by The Cumbrian »

I agree with you 100%.

#Misanthropesoftheworldavoideachother
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
ScotRoutes

Re: RWGPS fill in the map challange.

Post by ScotRoutes »

You are not alone.

(well, not as much as you'd like to be)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

(well, not as much as you'd like to be)
:lol:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Not saying where they are my way either as they are not that obvious

Why dont we all post up really poor spots ....that will trach them :wink:
psling

Post by psling »

Difficult one. I find inspiration reading and following other peoples' rides and routes and enjoy researching my own routes around such information but, equally, I find myself (totally irrationally) annoyed when people expect to just download a route and follow the dots without any of their own input!
So, on a more parochial level my 'special' rides and places are disclosed on a 'need to know' basis amongst 'special' people :grin:

And having said all that, I've never actually yet used gps to follow a route :roll:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Why don't we all post up really poor spots ....that will trach them
... and you're not alone in thinking that :wink:
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

psling wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:41 am Difficult one. I find inspiration reading and following other peoples' rides and routes and enjoy researching my own routes around such information but, equally, I find myself (totally irrationally) annoyed when people expect to just download a route and follow the dots without any of their own input!
So, on a more parochial level my 'special' rides and places are disclosed on a 'need to know' basis amongst 'special' people :grin:

And having said all that, I've never actually yet used gps to follow a route :roll:
I also find following other peoples rides and seeing their photos inspirational, but not in the "I want to go there way". Rather in, I need to get off my butt and find good spots like that near me! Or often that looks a bit like x place near here! I wonder, must dig the map out and see if I can see anything that might be similar. Then its a good excuse to ride over there and make sure you haven't missed anything!
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yep, I believe there's quite a difference between inspiring someone to do something similar and spoon-feeding.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

I'm sure none of you would ever dream of being so hypocritical as to ride a route designed by someone else. :roll:
psling

Post by psling »

woodsmith wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:22 am I'm sure none of you would ever dream of being so hypocritical as to ride a route designed by someone else. :roll:
Probably a reasonable comment :wink: However, I think a route put out for an event or an ITT, for example the BB200 or the Big Bear (keeping it 'in-house'), is a totally different set of criteria.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

woodsmith wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:22 am I'm sure none of you would ever dream of being so hypocritical as to ride a route designed by someone else. :roll:
I’ve handed myself into the police for writing a cycling guide book
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

'm sure none of you would ever dream of being so hypocritical as to ride a route designed by someone else. :roll:
Rightly or wrongly, I do think there's a difference between following a route designed and released with the intention of having people ride it either at their leisure or as part of an 'event' and what seems to be simply copying someone else's homework. However, my initial point was questioning why on earth you would want to share your 'special' spots with the world at large?
I’ve handed myself into the police for writing a cycling guide book
I don't think roadies count Dave - ask for your confession to be withdrawn. :wink:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

AndreR wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:58 am
psling wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:41 am Difficult one. I find inspiration reading and following other peoples' rides and routes and enjoy researching my own routes around such information but, equally, I find myself (totally irrationally) annoyed when people expect to just download a route and follow the dots without any of their own input!

I also find following other peoples rides and seeing their photos inspirational, but not in the "I want to go there way". Rather in, I need to get off my butt and find good spots like that near me! Or often that looks a bit like x place near here! I wonder, must dig the map out and see if I can see anything that might be similar. Then its a good excuse to ride over there and make sure you haven't missed anything!
Similar!

I’ve got shelf upon shelf of guide books but I really can’t remember following an actually route! They’re great for inspiration on a rainy night or for just the pleasure of reading and research but I’m too stubborn/stupid/arrogant to not follow them :lol:

The other week I had a free day to myself plus car, so it troubled me know what to do (walking/mountain biking/long distance road+gravel ride) but once I flicked through one of my lost lane books, I knew exactly where I wanted to ride, but I made up more than had the route to suit my needs (sorry Jack!) :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Come on people, it's all about sharing the love :grin:
I submitted my Ben Alder and Ardvericke tour a couple of years ago but they didn't go with it, presumably due to my crap photos and sharing the route on Os rather than ridewithgps....
Pity as it's a great route that I'd be happy to share with you lot - 80 miles with only 5 on road and one short bog trot.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Meh ... I'm not sharing my favourite routes or bivvy spots with anyone other than the lovely beautiful people I ride with. And I think I am correct on this, but the routes you share have to be "legal" which to my mind means you must not share routes that include footpaths etc. In the Chilterns, you simply cannot put together a decent length ride that avoids the mad middle class Range Roverers round here without "trespassing" over the light OS green lines. Not that Ive ever had an issues, mind. People round here really dont mind.
I'm just going outside ...
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

The legal thing also means no bivvy spots*. I've got a route on the site, with a number of campsites suggested. I've never stayed at any of them.

*Dartmoor and Scotland aside
ton

Post by ton »

nimbyism is not a nice thing. in the grand scheme does it really matter ?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

nimbyism is not a nice thing. in the grand scheme does it really matter ?
Does to me Tony. Some of my favourite spots are pretty 'delicate' and will only stand a limited number of uses / visitors and maybe I'm just a miserable b'tard but I'd hate to arrive at one and find another half dozen folk pitched up. If they'd found it by their own efforts then fair enough but knowing I'd sent them there would feel like an own goal ... Selfish? Probably. Bothered? Not really. :wink:
ton

Post by ton »

yet you promote rides in those area's......... :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

yet you promote rides in those area's.........
Rides and routes yeah but I seldom point folk towards said overnight spots and I certainly wouldn't broadcast them openly - although I'm not adverse to sharing if asked personally.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Couldn't have come at a better time. I've recently finalise a 235 miles route with 13500ft elevation from Yorkshire to London. Calling it the Dr Aafia Siddiqui Way (according to some, 'the most wronged woman in the world'). Am hoping it'll keep highlighting her case and lead to her eventually getting a proper trial for all the abuse she's suffered over the 20 years.

Am confident the abusers (there is some real bar stewards out there that have done alot to ensure she's kept out of sight, out of mind) will face justice and humiliation and I kmow for certain if she was free right now she'd be taking the Taliban govt to task for not opening up the schiols properly for the girls in time (she was a major womans right activist as well as a right pest to the worlds govts and Musharraf Parvez).

There's a couple of spots on the route for a right good old bivy. One is where me and Karl slept in the pub car park of the town near Fosse Way. Were up and off before we got noticed :lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'll happily share routes (I'm currently writing for a magazine) but also to let folk find their own nice bivvy spots. We don't all like the same things anyway. I love a riverside pitch but one of my mates can't sleep that close to running water or he loses bladder control.

I have shared pitches privately though and anyone reading my trip reports or blog will easily find some without needing a GR.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:36 pm Come on people, it's all about sharing the love :grin:
I submitted my Ben Alder and Ardvericke tour a couple of years ago but they didn't go with it, presumably due to my crap photos and sharing the route on Os rather than ridewithgps....
Pity as it's a great route that I'd be happy to share with you lot - 80 miles with only 5 on road and one short bog trot.
I reckon I know just the ride you mean :grin: I thought of doing the same, or at least the shorter version down the side of Loch Ericht :wink: I think that your suggestion appears in the Scottish Gravel rides book.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:27 pm Calling it the Dr Aafia Siddiqui Way (according to some, 'the most wronged woman in the world').
You know the rules
Must include the word “divide”
And or the distance.
🤦‍♀️ 😂