What's your current dream bike?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

What's your current dream bike?

Post by JohnClimber »

I can't afford it and I'm not racer to give it any justification but ............

I can't stop wanting a Salsa Spearfish

https://www.salsacycles.com/bikes/2021_ ... carbon_xtr

What's your current dream bike if you came into money?
The Cumbrian

Re: What's your current dream bike?

Post by The Cumbrian »

If Sonder made a Broken Road with a Pinion Gates Drive, rigid carbon forks and carbon Jones bars I could be seriously tempted.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Boab

Post by Boab »

The Cumbrian wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:16 pm If Sonder made a Broken Road with a Pinion Gates Drive, rigid carbon forks and carbon Jones bars I could be seriously tempted.
Pretty sure they'd stick some rigid forks on it if you asked...
https://alpkit.com/products/sonder-broken-road-pinion

Last edited by Boab on Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
faustus

Post by faustus »

They can also customize the frame, there's already been a custom ti signal with a pinion gearbox...
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

It's a pipe dream at the moment, but I'd want a Gates drive rather than a chain though.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I lust after no bikes. All my bikes are great in their own way ... it's just me that's sh1te.
May the bridges you burn light your way
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

My dream bikes are my current bikes. Maybe I'd try a carbon fork and a second wheelset or buy some titanium bolts. What I really need is better better legs, lungs and heart.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Broken road works well with Jones bars and lauf forks as I have one..it's a lovely bike
Don't lust after anything at the moment but will no doubt buy a big travel full Susser next year ( probably).as my.26 er is over due an upgrade
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Surly Krampus, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Surly Straggler, Surly Cross Check, Surly Steam Roller, Jones 29+
Best news is, I already have them :-bd

Nowt really floats my boat that would improve significantly on the above to warrant splashing the cash. At one point I idly contemplated a Ti Jones but £5k for a frameset that would save half a kilo but likely end up with me knackering it due to incompetence didn't seem worth it
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I'm downsizing the fleet as I'm so happy with all of mine. Spend the money on upgrades instead
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Having gradually stopped subscribing and reading any mags and then also loosing interest in most other MTB sites I find myself generally uninterested in "new" bikes. Cause and effect I wonder :???: I guess the last one lusted over was a Goldrush and as I have it now doesn't qualify.

I think you need to ask the question on a site where the average age isn't quite so, ahem, advanced to stand a chance of better answers ;-)

I did like the idea of a Spearfish awhile ago but carbon bikes generally don't do much for me.

Ah, I've just remembered I'd quite fancy a Ti Gryphon but a) with the Goldrush it would seem to be too much of a duplication and b) it would be replacing the steel one I've had for 10+ years so hardly "new" and "dream" :lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Not exactly "dream" stuff, just things I'd like to try for a while;

Cannondale Fat CAAD
Cannondale Topstone Lefty
Salsa Bucksaw

Maybe an Albannach Toraggar as an "upgrade" to my Amazon but now it's just getting picky.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Starling beady little eye at the moment . Would be interesting to try on the local trails
https://www.starlingcycles.com/bikes/beady-little-eye/
Trying to ride bikes.
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

Strangely, I lust after getting rid of a bike! After getting a broken road, my other bikes get little use... But annoyingly all have a unique niche... Like my 150mm full sus that basically only gets ridden in the Alps.

Currently my target for off loading is my Kona Libre gravel bike, as I just don't get along with drop bars... But then it is useful for when I need to get to work really fast! Grrr

All that said, I do wish I could retro fit my Broken Road with a Pinion!
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Having bought and being very much impressed with a stooge dirtbomb, the next thing I'd really like is a matching tandem (29+, similar angles, cruiser style) but I think the custom cost would be silly.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Ti Sonder Camino, at the moment

But, TBH, the aluminium one would be just fine - I'm not greedy

Ok, I have 5 bikes (and a unicycle) so that's probably not exactly true 🤪
RIP

Post by RIP »

e-Brompton.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

I have 4 pretty nice bikes at the moment but after seeing my mates AXS equipped gravel bike recently I’d love to have an AXS mullet set up on my ritchey. Don’t think I could ever stomach paying £300 for a cassette though, even if I was loaded.
ton

Post by ton »

i have my dream bike, just dont have the health to ride it.
so i am going to say a big tough ebike that i cant ride all day on.

if any xl riders fancy my dream bike (rohloff ti fargo) give me a shout. :sad:
holdsteady

Post by holdsteady »

quite happy with my down-sized collection of 4 at moment, be nice to have time to ride them, just as I acquired a Croix de Fer that I’d fancied for ages and was getting into the swing of riding regularly again my wife broke her leg so means I’m running around like a blue arsed fly looking after her and the kids.
voodoo_simon

Re: What's your current dream bike

Post by voodoo_simon »

Last year it was a carbon gravel bike and the itch was successfully scratched :-bd

Always wanted a full carbon fibre singlespeed mountain bike, something that was silly lightweight
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

For about 10 years I think I looked and knew I wanted an Independent Fab of some sort. Got my first in the steel deluxe flavour and sold it mainly due to 'something and the other'. That was obviously when I realised how amazing they are.

So the reason why the Indy was my dream bike other than it being really really well built by some seemingly humble framebuilders/designers, was the fact that they are also rarely sold on forth. Looked at the classifieds on the Indy Owners Club often enough. Then during Covid the Steel Deluxe with carbon back end came up. Other than it being steel which I really don't feel is as supple as a well built carbon frame - regardless of common opinions of the steel riders - and I suppose the restricted tyre widths and lack of disc, I still love it.

Did my first 24H ride on it in soon after purchase in arguably*, complete comfort and despite it's weight its surprisingly fast on a long run. Think I even got the time to work - 40 miles and a pot of about 80 other commutes to compare with on the different bikes/frames - close to my fastest and moat comfy to date carbon frameset. The carbon frame alao being about 450g lighter than this.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I constantly look at it and think I'm gonna put it up for charity (cos that's what makea me tick and my investment for my next life) just cos I really really still love it. We're meant to give what you love you see, not just the cheap nasty stuff that's ready for the bin. Suppose the love will die down over time as it always does, doesn't it? Or maybe I will end up selling it privately or giving away. But (goea back to look at original starter post).

*Cos afterwards all my bodies not aching and mor am I suffering from numb hands/feet for days.
redefined_cycles

Oh (so I looked at the original post), ao I don't currently have a dream bike. Does that mean it truly is my dream bike what I'm currently riding? Managed to source some 28c tires for it, it's called Layla (not 'she' but it translates to Juliet.. from Romeo/Juliet which in our language they're called Layla/Majnu) but with the 28c there's no current mudguards that would fit. Maybe one day I'll put a post up on the owners club of it.

Sorry, still talking about my Juliet... Maybe one day I'll stop loving it or sort out the mismatched tires. It's got it's own custom framebag from them lot you suggested Jon. It's green (the light green, my favourite colour. Got a bit of rust on it and it hurts my pressure points after 200 miles and then seeing rough roads.

Personally I'd be happy with what you alreayd have and if that there dream bike of yours comes up then consider it. Otherwise why increase the CO2 footprint by buying new. Mine is worth in RRP at around 4k but I paid 'peanuts' for it. Chap that sold it even told me that he preferred his Cannondale alu bike. But I'm certain he sometimes thinks of the IndyFab and wonders of it. It's got a 1 inch headtube and came with a CK headset that I've managed to keep going even though it comes loose over thousands of miles - by a mm or less - due to the carbon bung/steerer.

Sorry... Don't get it. Keep your current one. If you ever want to borrow my dream bike (the mtb was also someone elses dream in Pinnacle Ramin b+ flavour), even the mtb then you're most welcome. Give some extra money to mountain rescue or one of the 'worlds worst hunger crisis' projects instead (no, it's not Ukraine despite what the media makes us believe).

Right... I'm gonna stop now. Can you tell I'm in love :lol:
redefined_cycles

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

jay91 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:38 pm Starling beady little eye at the moment . Would be interesting to try on the local trails
https://www.starlingcycles.com/bikes/beady-little-eye/
Ooh that looks good. I've often thought about throwing my old patriot back together and running it SS but using guides and a tensioner. But if I could get a bouncer with sliding drop outs, I may be tempted back to the dark side. At least with that one the chain tension is constant.