What's your current dream bike?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Re: What's your current dream bike?

Post by lune ranger »

Right now I’m thinking Ton’s XL-Ti Fargo.
It’s not going to happen though as my current steel Fargo will need to die first and that probably requires me to die with it under the wheels of a truck. So even then it’s never happening. Damn :sad:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ootini

Post by ootini »

Salsa Cutthroat
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

lune ranger wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:21 pm Right now I’m thinking Ton’s XL-Ti Fargo.
It’s not going to happen though as my current steel Fargo will need to die first and that probably requires me to die with it under the wheels of a truck. So even then it’s never happening. Damn :sad:
So an Xl Would fit someone sized like yourself/myself!? (Probablly) asking for a friend obviously...
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

I'd like my Speedball to be a bit lighter but I'm working on the alternative instead. Stronger legs
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:36 pm
lune ranger wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:21 pm Right now I’m thinking Ton’s XL-Ti Fargo.
So an Xl Would fit someone sized like yourself or mine!? (Probablly) asking for a friend obviously...
I’m riding an XL now. I’m at the XL/L crossover, XL works fine for me and has more room in the frame for bottles and bags than the L. YMMV
WSC
gairym

Post by gairym »

Like a few others on here I've not really even thought about the idea of buying anything for least couple of years.

I replaced my (then 12 years old and very dated) bouncy bike two years ago and I blimmin' love my new one (SC Hightower) but apart from that (oh and buying a 24" wheeled BMX to use at the pump track with the kids) I've been content with what I've got for a while and long may it continue.....

I wouldn't mind a new fork for my 29er hardtail but unless one drops into my lap I'll likely not do anything about it...
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I've had my heart set on a Stooge for years now but I don't get to ride the bikes I already have that often so the can has been kicked down the road several times.
Last edited by PaulB2 on Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Actually, add to the list

Open U.P in either the orange or blue frame colour

Santa Cruz Stigmata when they did it in grey

Or the Trek Supercaliber (because, what a bike!)

But saying that, if I’d had the money for the above, I’d default to Salsa everyday as they just seem to work so well!
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

gairym wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:33 am I wouldn't mind a new fork for my 29er hardtail but unless one drops into my lap I'll likely not do anything about it...
I still have the OEM fork from my Trek Marlin, which got replaced by a Manitou fork.
It weighs several tons, but has only been ridden once, and is up for grabs.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Back when I had a road bike, triathlon bike and mountain bike, my computer background was a BMC Timemachine. After they all broke and I was bike less, the Open U.P. and 3T Exploro were launched and the Exploro became my dream bike and computer background. I've always wanted a fancy road bike and would love a Canyon Aeroad, or Spesh S-Works Tarmac. However, I've realised lately that I don't need aero, or fast, I need comfy, so in no particular order...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Like some said earlier, I am reducing the number of bikes currently.

The dream bike thing comes to me wondering if I should just have one bike. If I did, it would likely be a Ti Chumba Sendero. Since we are in dreamland, it would have some sort of 3 speed hub that doesnt exist :grin:
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Ti Fargo (I’m just too small and very too skint for Ton’s)
Anything from Firefly
Fat Chance Yo Eddy remake
Cannondale Topstone carbon lefty thing
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I've always fancied a Nukeproof Digger in factory spec, nothing too flash but I just like it

Maybe a Canyon Grizl, it's the import fees and not being able to try one for size that put me off buying one

I'm fortunate to own a couple of Ti bikes so shouldn't be wanting really
faustus

Post by faustus »

Think i'm at the point where it's about getting the right type of bike, and that's been a process of trying a few things out and now it's just tinkering/upgrading. Very much focussed on all terrain riding, practicality, fun, and versatility. I see plenty of lustworthy bikes like the Gryphon Ti, but I wouldn't want anything too nice. A lot of the time the 'dream' bikes are ones that look pretty, but not what I really need. The only thing i'd consider in the future when I have more money and spare time, is a really cool but oddball custom frameset, something a bit Jones spaceframe, truss fork etc. I'm pretty content with my 3 bikes, which haven't changed for a while and cover all my various needs:

- 26er Inbred town bike parts bin special
- Kona Unit X: This is the ATB
- Camino AL: ATB-lite with drops
jameso

Post by jameso »

A slightly whippy custom steel hardtail, built light, really compact and fairly slack but not that long. A few useful braze ons and attachment points. A dual crown Lefty 100mm fork. Full XCO spec but nothing too weenie and flimsy. Mid range drivetrain, top end brakes, XTR cranks on some kind of BB that lasts well. DT short drop inverted dropper post. Fast 2.5" summer tyres on wide carbon rims. Something for XC race style 2-3 hr rides that also suits marathon or off-road audax attitude riding.
Maybe the same thing just with an Al frame, go all-in. Something like a CAAD series. Bit sad there isn't a Cannondale CAAD XC race bike now.
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

i do like nichés so i'm going to go all out.

pinion geared, carbon belted ti monster-cross

maybe for my 50th in a few years time
Image Image
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

jameso wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:36 am A slightly whippy custom steel hardtail, built light, really compact and fairly slack but not that long. A few useful braze ons and attachment points. A dual crown Lefty 100mm fork. Full XCO spec but nothing too weenie and flimsy. Mid range drivetrain, top end brakes, XTR cranks on some kind of BB that lasts well. DT short drop inverted dropper post. Fast 2.5" summer tyres on wide carbon rims. Something for XC race style 2-3 hr rides that also suits marathon or off-road audax attitude riding.
Maybe the same thing just with an Al frame, go all-in. Something like a CAAD series. Bit sad there isn't a Cannondale CAAD XC race bike now.
You might just have given me a few ideas of how to build my Santa Cruz Highball up (being built since Covid... and counting). Why short drop DT Swiss dropper James. Does that mean you have a large frame to ensure you had plenty of storage space on the bike for (frame) bag?

Also.. do they come in Santa Cruz thin seattube flavour (though I bet they're expensive so maybe I should just keep on dreaming :???: ).

[Edit: actually, I think I get it.. seems its inverted so probably easier for bags to attach to the post. Very clever and it comes in 27.2mm aswell. Probably not enough travel for me though as my skills aren't as good as yours (Reg told us). :grin:
ergaster

Post by ergaster »

BobCatMax wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:33 pm i do like nichés so i'm going to go all out.

I have just got an Olsen Karapoti. Gates Drive, SIDs and Hope BB and brakes. I'm so happy with it. Always wanted a Gates system but couldn't find a bike I liked. I think they do have a pinion bike. I realise now that I have found my dream bike.
“‘What day is it?’ asked Pooh.
‘It’s today,’ squeaked Piglet.
‘My favourite day,’ said Pooh.”
jameso

Post by jameso »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:28 pm You might just have given me a few ideas of how to build my Santa Cruz Highball up (being built since Covid... and counting). Why short drop DT Swiss dropper James. Does that mean you have a large frame to ensure you had plenty of storage space on the bike for (frame) bag?

Also.. do they come in Santa Cruz thin seattube flavour (though I bet they're expensive so maybe I should just keep on dreaming :???: ).

[Edit: actually, I think I get it.. seems its inverted so probably easier for bags to attach to the post. Very clever and it comes in 27.2mm aswell. Probably not enough travel for me though as my skills aren't as good as yours (Reg told us). :grin:
My skills are minimal, really :grin: no jumps and drops for me for many years. The DT dropper is just because I've not often needed more than 2-3" of drop from my normal saddle height to feel happy on most stuff, there's always the manual QR when that happens anyway. I just like the DT design, it's light, seems good for use with bags as you say and they do have a 27.2mm version to work with a slim steel frame.
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

ergaster wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:16 pm
BobCatMax wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:33 pm i do like nichés so i'm going to go all out.

I have just got an Olsen Karapoti. Gates Drive, SIDs and Hope BB and brakes. I'm so happy with it. Always wanted a Gates system but couldn't find a bike I liked. I think they do have a pinion bike. I realise now that I have found my dream bike.
Good lad!

yep, he's in my sights. i love the rock'n'roll drop out system too, if i can't manage to get one fitted with a pinion
Image Image
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Was speculating further on this during my jaunt at the weekend. If I could get my hands on a Gravel bike frame which can do SS made of nice steel but with a placcy fork, I'd be quite pleased. The Straggler is almost there but I yearn for a better SS system....

I've a few different SS set ups - Eccentric BB which is hassly to adjust on the trail but gives a clean back end and fixed caliper mount, rear entry QR slotted drop outs with adjuster doobreys which work very well but make fitting a long rear guard tricky and mean you have to move the brake caliper when you adjust the wheel, front entry horizontal drop outs with integral adjuster screws (straggler) or a Surly tugnut (cross-check) which work well but you also have to re-position the brake caliper when adjusting the wheel.

Too many SS bikes obviously but my dream SS system is something like what is on a motorbike - slotted for a through axle with adjuster screws or snail cams. The brake mount would be on the wheel spindle (as per first gen Hopes) with a torque arm to a fixed boss so the caliper moves with the wheel. A full sliding wheel mounting plate / brake mount would work but I've never been that convinced about relying on 4 M8 screws to hold your back wheel and back brake on.....
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

fatbikephil wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:26 pm Was speculating further on this during my jaunt at the weekend. If I could get my hands on a Gravel bike frame which can do SS made of nice steel but with a placcy fork, I'd be quite pleased. The Straggler is almost there but I yearn for a better SS system....
Keep a look out for a second hand Transition Rapture frame. Strictly speaking it’s a CX rather than gravel bike but takes a 40mm tyre. It’s a steel frame with a rocker dropout quite similar to that of a Salsa.
I have mine set up for mixed surface audax style riding and love it. It’s my most ridden bike this year.
WSC
ton

Post by ton »

Too many SS bikes obviously but my dream SS system is something like what is on a motorbike - slotted for a through axle with adjuster screws or snail cams. The brake mount would be on the wheel spindle (as per first gen Hopes) with a torque arm to a fixed boss so the caliper moves with the wheel. A full sliding wheel mounting plate / brake mount would work but I've never been that convinced about relying on 4 M8 screws to hold your back wheel and back brake on.....
Phil, the altenator plates on the fargo are pretty great. they slide back to take up the slack, and once all the way back through adjustment when chain stretches, remove a link and slide em forward. simple and tidy.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

lune ranger wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:43 pm Keep a look out for a second hand Transition Rapture frame. Strictly speaking it’s a CX rather than gravel bike but takes a 40mm tyre. It’s a steel frame with a rocker dropout quite similar to that of a Salsa.
I have mine set up for mixed surface audax style riding and love it. It’s my most ridden bike this year.
Looks good that, will keep an eye out. Cheers!
ton wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:46 pm Phil, the altenator plates on the fargo are pretty great. they slide back to take up the slack, and once all the way back through adjustment when chain stretches, remove a link and slide em forward. simple and tidy.
Aye they are, always liked that system but a Fargo is a bit too close to the Jones (well a steel one is), and yours is a size to big for me :grin: A vaya would be right but they have fixed rear drop outs sadly. I did think of a Stormchaser and I still am but would prefer steel to Alloy
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Interesting question this, I don’t actually have an answer

There’s nothing I really want or fancy right now. I like the idea of having a singlespeed again but wouldn’t actually use it much

Happy with my current selection of bikes.

Actually, I like the look of the new all Ti Brompton, don’t need it, but I like the idea of having a lighter bike to carry around. Definitely not a dream bike though