Ortlieb vs Alpkit

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jerry

Re: Ortlieb vs Alpkit

Post by Jerry »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:06 am
Have you got some pictures?
No sorry but do you mean a picture of a bag strapped on top? I'm meaning a pretty simple affair using a standard dry bag of an appropriate size ad a couple of straps.
I mean the saddle+rear rack set up.
psling wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:00 am I think the point I was trying to make is that the Jackery is about 12 inches long and 10 inches high which, unless you have a very high saddle, won't leave much space for a saddle bag and at about 6kg in weight I wouldn't want to place it too far back on a rack to try and create more space for a bag.
I'd maybe go down the route of rack and small panniers rather than rack and saddlebag.

The Jackery is a lovely bit of kit though; I use one in my campervan :-bd
I've been looking for some smaller power stations but they are not as good as Jackery and those that can compare to Jackery are more or less the same. If you get some solar panels you may have a lot of power for free.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

OK, I'll bite :lol:

Why are you taking such a big piece of electrical (not electronic) kit with you? To run a medical device? I know we all have different needs and wants but...

A quick search shows their batteries starting at 240Wh, that's 20 times more than most of us take for a couple of days - my 10,000mWh (10Wh if you like) will recharge my Garmin Oregon at least three times so if I start with it fully charged that's enough for at least four days of "full" riding, much more if just touring and it's just nine or ten hours per day.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

whitestone wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:03 pm OK, I'll bite :lol:

Why are you taking such a big piece of electrical (not electronic) kit with you? To run a medical device? I know we all have different needs and wants but...

A quick search shows their batteries starting at 240Wh, that's 20 times more than most of us take for a couple of days - my 10,000mWh (10Wh if you like) will recharge my Garmin Oregon at least three times so if I start with it fully charged that's enough for at least four days of "full" riding, much more if just touring and it's just nine or ten hours per day.
I have a lot of dildos to charge. Camping can be lonely.

I already have it so I don't see a reason to buy another one. If there is a way to take with me I will do it and learn how to implement it into my gear.
psling

Post by psling »

Jerry wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:53 pm I have a lot of dildos to charge. Camping can be lonely.
Aha! Therein lies your problem. What you have are vibrators, not dildos. Vibrators require batteries/ power whereas dildos are manual (or so a 'friend' advises me). Ditch the vibrators and your luggage / power supply problems will be solved.... :lol: :lol: :wink:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

psling wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:16 pm
Jerry wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:53 pm I have a lot of dildos to charge. Camping can be lonely.
Aha! Therein lies your problem. What you have are vibrators, not dildos. Vibrators require batteries/ power whereas dildos are manual (or so a 'friend' advises me). Ditch the vibrators and your luggage / power supply problems will be solved.... :lol: :lol: :wink:
I’m impressed with your knowledge :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If there is a way to take with me I will do it and learn how to implement it into my gear.
Out of interest, do you have a job lined up for it (I appreciate it's likely to be charging / powering things) but I wondered what?*

*other than sex toys.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I'm not going to share intentions or plans, sorry if that disappoints you.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

sorry if that disappoints you.
Not at all. I was just interested.
May the bridges you burn light your way
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Sorry, argumentative
Last edited by yourguitarhero on Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

It’s gotta be some sort of special ops mission.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:09 pm
sorry if that disappoints you.
Not at all. I was just interested.
Naturally.
yourguitarhero wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:13 pm Your requirements are a bit weird etc, but my maybe put the heavy battery thing in a frame bag and put clothes higher up and to the back?

But also, if you're going to ask for advice but play secret squirrel about a weird requirement then..... Figure it out yourself?
A bit rude. Why do you think I'm asking here? That's the point of forums.
psling

Post by psling »

The only place it's going to go is on the rack but there don't seem to be any off-the-shelf bags out there wide enough. One possibility is the duffle-bag type of bag by the likes of TNF; they are available in waterproof material and there are a range of sizes out there and the smaller ones would probably do the job strapped to the top of the rack.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/the-north-face ... lsrc=aw.ds
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Jerry wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:35 pm A bit rude. Why do you think I'm asking here? That's the point of forums.
But then it's usual to provide information to back up questions about "odd" requirements. You don't have to of course. As per my previous post - carting 240Wh (or more) is very unusual in bikepacking terms. Running a CPAP or similar overnight would take that amount of juice.

Edit: the above isn't intended as criticism. Something along the lines of "I need the Jackery to help with a medical condition that I don't wish to discuss/divulge" would have prevented any impertinent questions.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

psling wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:46 pm The only place it's going to go is on the rack but there don't seem to be any off-the-shelf bags out there wide enough. One possibility is the duffle-bag type of bag by the likes of TNF; they are available in waterproof material and there are a range of sizes out there and the smaller ones would probably do the job strapped to the top of the rack.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/the-north-face ... lsrc=aw.ds
I will have to go for customized bag for this and downgrade the saddle one into a smaller size. Thanks for help.