Ortlieb vs Alpkit

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jerry

Ortlieb vs Alpkit

Post by Jerry »

Hello,
I'm in need of new bags and this time I want to invest a bit. I haven't got any experience of these two seller so if anyone can tell their experience and advice I would really appreciate it.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Ortlieb vs Alpkit

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What items do you want? Some manufacturers seem to make a really good 'something' but another may make a better 'something else'
May the bridges you burn light your way
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Whole new set for bikepacking + (maybe) rear rack bag but definitely two panniers.
Hadlebar + frame + top tube + saddle or rear rack + two panniers
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Panniers is 100% Ortlieb over Alpkit :-bd
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Panniers - Ortlieb every time.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I've been checking these before I posted https://www.ortlieb.com/uk_en/back-roller-classic+F5301. What about the rest of the bags? I'm looking into touring
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hi Jerry. I can't talk for their (Alpkit... or Alpshit I fondly think of their customer service as) pannier bags. But (firstly) the quality of Ortlieb and their panniers is well known.

Regards the top tube bags. I've not tried Oetlieb and I imagine they don't make one. But I got rid of my Alpshit quite quickly as it felt very flimsy
Also had the opportunity to try out the saddlebag (also, very non-rigid and collapsing/soft) which I didn't end up taking (off my mate.

I have tried the Orlieb saddlebag though. In the 17L flavour and its a pleasure to use. I did brake a buckle but they come with 3 year warranty and a quick email to the retailer and they sent me a spare.

I learnt to ensure I wasn't tightening the air out of it by using the buckle and it was fine after that. Used it for 1 or 2 years for ling distance commuting and it was a pleasure to use. Totally waterproof with the air purge valve too. Sold it only to upgrade to a Revelate Spinelock which stopped me needing to pack methodically.

Hope that helps and sorry to Alpshit for my messing up of their name :sad:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Jerry wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:59 pm I've been checking these before I posted https://www.ortlieb.com/uk_en/back-roller-classic+F5301. What about the rest of the bags? I'm looking into touring
It's the gold standard of Pannier bags AFAIK. Many have done many many world/cross continent trips over decades (AFAIK).
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

If traditional touring set up is what you want/need then the ortlieb Backroller is as the name says - the Classic choice.
Pair it with a set of front rollers and a bar bag for all the storage you’ll ever need.

I suspect you’ll now get a whole bunch of advice re soft luggage aka bikepacking bags.
Depending on what you intend to do/the bike you have/the current state of your other equipment- clothes, shelter, cooking gear. Non- traditional set ups may be better (or worse) for your needs.
WSC
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

I have an Alpkit made to measure frame bag, no complaints at all. Can't speak for the rest of their range.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Got an Alpkit custom frame bag for Cath's fat bike, pretty decent but it's not as good as the Wildcat frame bag I have. But that's more one of those undefinable feelings as much as anything that you can point to.

For handlebar and seat packs I prefer harness and separate dry bags: let's you pack and unpack away from the bike, if the bag is damaged then it's easy to replace (and cheaper) , you can use different sized bags depending on how much you are taking.

Off-road riding (assuming anything technical) and I wouldn't want panniers but have used Ortlieb for road touring. Generally when off-road you want to pack as light and compact as possible, my usual volume of bags is about 15L which is less than the size of one of the Ortlieb roll tops.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I’ve used my ortlieb panniers off road and they’ve coped alright but they were a) on a fat bike and b) I use front panniers for the rear as they’re smaller
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

voodoo_simon wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:11 am I’ve used my ortlieb panniers off road and they’ve coped alright but they were a) on a fat bike and b) I use front panniers for the rear as they’re smaller
I also used Ortleib panniers off road for years before the soft bag revolution. I wouldn’t choose them over soft bags now for most of what I do but if I were to go on a multi week trip again I would definitely chose them.
WSC
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

I use the ortlieb fronts as rear paniers for the commute to work mainly along a canal path. They bounce a bit so a bungee cord is needed as the bottom "clip" isn't strong enough to hold in place. Other than that they are great for the job especially as I need to carry in my laptop.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

They do have a slot in the back to add an additional rubber strap/hook for off-road.
WSC
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Ortlieb do a Top Tube bag, and it’s as good as their panniers, with lots of strap adjustment options and great warranty back up.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Thanks all for the advice. I will go with custom set up from Ortlieb.
About the the top tube bags mentioned: I had few of them but zips always break in few weeks. How about Ortlieb?
I'm not sure if I ever found a top tube bag without zippers or any design that would prevent the damage.
EDIT: oh well, Orlieb don't customise bags so I will have to compromise.

Is it possible to have saddle bag and rear rack one at the same time?
I have a power station from Jackery 500 and would like to keep in on the rack. Just this one item.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is it possible to have saddle bag and rear rack one at the same time?
I've seen it done, although, maybe a bag strapped to the top of the rack would be better?
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Could you share what trip you have planned? Im intrigued
psling

Post by psling »

Jerry wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:07 am Thanks all for the advice. I will go with custom set up from Ortlieb.
About the the top tube bags mentioned: I had few of them but zips always break in few weeks. How about Ortlieb?
I'm not sure if I ever found a top tube bag without zippers or any design that would prevent the damage.
Revelate do one with a wrap over flap and magnetic fastener rather than a zip. Bit spendy mind but very good quality.
Jerry wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:07 am Is it possible to have saddle bag and rear rack one at the same time?
I have a power station from Jackery 500 and would like to keep in on the rack. Just this one item.
Jackery 500? That's a fair lump of weight out back and would need to be on the rack for stability I would have thought. It would also occupy the space where a (bikepacking style of) saddle bag would go. Are you using the 240V inverter on a bikepacking trip?
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

IIRC the guys John Climber got some bags from recently do a wrap-over TT bag?

All other useful details escape me, sorry, but John'll tell you :cool:

EDIT - found it (if you mean this sort of TT bag):

https://www.meritgear.eu/shop/Custom-To ... p391978252

or their "popcorn" bag:

Last edited by Cheeky Monkey on Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Have a look at the Ortlieb gravel panniers.
They have twin hooks at the bottom to help with stability.
A little smaller/lighter too so more "bikepacking" than "touring", though it's still rack and panniers!

I also made my own 5 litre panniers out of some Podsacs drybags and Ortlieb fixings (you can buy all the parts for them).
Thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20107
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

[/quote]
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:41 amI've seen it done, although, maybe a bag strapped to the top of the rack would be better?
Have you got some pictures?
psling wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:14 pm]Jackery 500? That's a fair lump of weight out back and would need to be on the rack for stability I would have thought. It would also occupy the space where a (bikepacking style of) saddle bag would go. Are you using the 240V inverter on a bikepacking trip?
That's the problem how I'm facing. I love saddle bags and want to position the Jackery on the rack somehow. That's the best place for it, however, it is quite big and heavy but that@s ok for the rack.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have you got some pictures?
No sorry but do you mean a picture of a bag strapped on top? I'm meaning a pretty simple affair using a standard dry bag of an appropriate size ad a couple of straps.
psling

Post by psling »

I think the point I was trying to make is that the Jackery is about 12 inches long and 10 inches high which, unless you have a very high saddle, won't leave much space for a saddle bag and at about 6kg in weight I wouldn't want to place it too far back on a rack to try and create more space for a bag.
I'd maybe go down the route of rack and small panniers rather than rack and saddlebag.

The Jackery is a lovely bit of kit though; I use one in my campervan :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.