Substitute for chamois creme

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Re: Substitute for chamois creme

Post by FLV »

Just slip 2 halves of a banana skin down there. Extra padding with built in lubricant.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

At least the smell of overripe banana would drown out the smell of an overripe human
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Not sure if it helps but my new undershorts just arrived. After lots of reading I decided on the 7mesh. Apparently Fiona Kolbinger used em during the winning of the TCR (whenever that was).

I got the mk3 version. Interesting thung about em is that the chamoise pad section and the outer section seems to be independent layers. So one can slide over the other. It's already made me wonder if I'll use any chamoise cream afterall. Doing a 240 miler to London in em (with baggies on top as that's how we're meant to roll as muslims :grin: ) from 0430 God Willing so might report back if anyone wants an update.

:-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:02 am
fatbikephil wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:34 pm Bamboo boxers?
On my recent jaunt I wore a pair under normal baggy riding shorts with no chamois cream of any kind. It was quite warm and I was in the saddle for a reasonable length of time (9 hrs on the last day) with no issues sans mon derriere. I think a lot of the problem is that normal chamois pads get pretty minging after a while and then start to chafe, so you need some kind of lubricant to stop this. Not done an 18hr epic in the bam undies yet but will at some point.
If its the BAM versions I got. They don't last very long! Never bothered getting another pair. Maybe it was my rock solid (carbon with hardly much padding - cos I'm silly) saddle! 6 months i think they lasted before wearing a hole or two...
Ah, funny you should say that Shaff but I've now noticed one of my pairs is looking a bit thin.... Bit steap to be changing out every few months....
Back to the drawing board!
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

If you sign up to BAM they do frequent offers and clearances which makes the stuff more affordable.

Regular wear I find the boxers good (bear in mind there are two weights of fabric - regular and air, IIRC). THeir socks, on the other hand, whilst lovely and comfy don't seem to be all that durable.
garydavies44

Post by garydavies44 »

Gurney Goo
slarge

Post by slarge »

For the TD I used Happy Bottom bum butter during the day, then removed shorts, antibacterial wipes and sudocrem overnight. My theory was a clean bum is number 1 priority, and nappy cream is good at repairing damage, whereas the bum butter has preventative properties.

It worked for me. I have pressure soreness, but no broken skin.

I would also say that a decent fitting saddle is key....
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

slarge wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:33 pm For the TD I used Happy Bottom bum butter during the day, then removed shorts, antibacterial wipes and sudocrem overnight. My theory was a clean bum is number 1 priority, and nappy cream is good at repairing damage, whereas the bum butter has preventative properties.

Thanks. Pretty much what I've been doing minus the sudocrem.
Congrats on a superb ride on the Divide.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

slarge wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:33 pm For the TD I used Happy Bottom bum butter during the day, then removed shorts, antibacterial wipes and sudocrem overnight. My theory was a clean bum is number 1 priority, and nappy cream is good at repairing damage, whereas the bum butter has preventative properties.

Thanks. Pretty much what I've been doing minus the sudocrem.
Congrats on a superb ride on the Divide.