ScotRoutes

Hit me with your Bivy Stick

Post by ScotRoutes »

There's a new tracker in town...

https://www.acrartex.com/products/bivy-stick/
RIP

Re: Hit me with your Bivy Stick

Post by RIP »

"remain in contact with everyone". And that's a positive rather than a negative because.....?

We've been through this stuff before haven't we, cue "amiable discussion" :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

At least it's starting to add some competition so prices may moderate somewhat.

Reg just wait until someone comes out with one that automatically posts to instagram!
RIP

Post by RIP »

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:33 pm instagram
?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:lol:
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

I've never seen/used/owned a tracker, but wondered if the built in battery would be an issue, for those without a dynamo (or the cheap and lightweight 😉 solar panels)

Just curious
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

belugabob wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:49 am I've never seen/used/owned a tracker, but wondered if the built in battery would be an issue, for those without a dynamo (or the cheap and lightweight 😉 solar panels)

Just curious
Same as the Inreach. It just means having to recharge from an external source. They quote 120 hours at minimal usage.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:07 am
belugabob wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:49 am I've never seen/used/owned a tracker, but wondered if the built in battery would be an issue, for those without a dynamo (or the cheap and lightweight 😉 solar panels)

Just curious
Same as the Inreach. It just means having to recharge from an external source. They quote 120 hours at minimal usage.
Yes, I saw that, so I guess it's only an issue for those who are unable to visit "civilization" for 5 days at a time
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Or carry an external battery pack to recharge from.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

No different from a phone or MP3 or some such and I assume most either
1. use a dynamo
2. take a power bank
3. Charge in pubs and cafes
4. a combination of the above
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Running costs still remains too high for me to be in. For emergencies you can use a PLB on land in the UK now and they have zero running costs.
I don’t pay as much as they want for the minimum package on these things for my mobile contract
For one of these tracker/communicators I’d need monthly subs down to around £5/month for tracking. I’d be willing to pay on top for sending messages - I don’t believe I’d send many but it’d certainly be useful from time to time.

As for the battery - as a critical piece of emergency gear, I for one would prefer to see removable batteries. You could still design the item so you could charge rechargeables internally via USB but retain the ability to switch out for fresh ones if needed.
Last edited by lune ranger on Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Just curious
No, it's not. Why would it? If you don't fancy solar panels or a dyno hub, simply charge from a battery pack.
If you still love your AA/AAA batteries, you can also charge from them 😉

I have an InReach mini and used it on eg a 5 week long trips without needing to charge it. 1 - 2 location pings a day (okay messages) every couple of days a couple of messages to ask for weather updates and tell my loved ones how things are going.
lune ranger wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:53 am Running costs still remains too high for me to be in. For emergencies you can use a PRB on land in the UK now and they have zero running costs.
One way comm. vs. the two way comm.

For me the two way comm has so far been the best part of my InReach. This allowed me to travel safer (eg. know when tent ripping storms moved in on high mountains during an expedition).
I'm not suggestion everybody needs it, but one can ask her/himself if the running costs are worth the two way comm.
An PLB often has a stronger signal, although I've yet to find a situation where I couldn't get one with the old SPOT or the InReach. In roughly 12 years of use.
Also being able to send (even preset) messages allows you to let the outside world know, that you're not sticking to your intended route and should you get harmed without being able to press that SOS button, folks will know better were to look, which may help. Same goed for tracking, but I never use that (outside those very rare moments where I take part in an event).
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

For me the two way comm has so far been the best part of my InReach.
This but i did consider a PLB as well for the reasons noted- they have shelf life though so they are not quite as free as stated as at some point you will need a new battery - they are still hundreds of pounds cheaper over the 6- 8 year life cycle though.
Inreach is pretty dear to use as a tracker[ £35 A MONTH ] if on the pay monthly deal to have tracking @ 10 min intervals though and the cheapest option is still £15 a month but can be cancelled - i reckon i pay about £100 a year ish on mine - 4- months of it working and the rest in an "activation fee"
All of hem are more expensive than mobile phones and I agree a fiver would be brilliant bit wont ever happen as I assume satellite are expensive for band width/air time
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

not quite as free as stated as at some point you will need a new battery -
I have a McMurdo Fastfind 220. I replaced the battery for less than £10 after 8 or 9 years.
It took a little google and a soldering iron but was easy as you like.
The battery pack simply contains AA batteries solered in series.
The batteries I replaced them with had a life of 15years when I inserted them. To be safe I’d replace them in 10 years if I haven’t lost the beacon by then.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

... I assume satellite are expensive for band width/air time ...
Do you think so? I suspect it's more about what they think the market can stand. But then I'm just an old bloody cynic :grin:
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Thanks for the extra info @alpinum - I'm probably never going to need a tracker, so I only have a very passing interest.
You never know, though, so any info is a good starting point
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I think the sat tracker systems use the various comms satellite networks for the back channel and they tend not to be cheap. I remember using a sat phone from ship to call home and the captain was stood next to me with a stop watch timing the call which I then had to pay for in cash!

Then add profit, what the market can stand, whether the month has an 'r' in it, etc.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry